By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 2 February 2019

I guess it didn't turn out too surprisingly.
PS4 could have sold a bit more, or less. It's pretty hard to tell with a system of that age. It's past the average total lifespan of a console. So most KH and RE fans are probably already on board.

I don't think Sony are in a hurry to release PS5 though. What they make on console sales are peanuts compared to software and services.
However, selling consoles grows the install base. Though when they're near the 100m mark, that's already quite a great install base to have. So software sales for KH3 and RE2 probably made them happy.

As for Microsoft, they may be more inclined to jump into next gen sooner. But from what I'm hearing the technology to build next gen systems isn't quite ready yet. And you'd think they want to start off next gen by impressing the fans with some good games. And I think that gives them more reason to wait a bit, and make sure they live up to the expectations after their recent releases have been pretty criticized.

Last edited by Hiku - on 20 February 2019

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
zorg1000 said:

Microsoft

360 week ending Feb 5, 2011-208k

XBO week ending Feb 2, 2019-59k

Ya it's quite shocking. XBO held it's own against 360 for the first ~4 years (360-36.9m, XBO-34.3m) but 360 peaked very late thanks to Kinect while XBO is in serious decline. Year 5-7 is going to be an absolute bloodbath in 360 favor.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I wonder what game is pushing the Switch up so high?

KLAMarine said:

Maybe NSMB U port is the secret console pusher. You know damn well it aint the Travis Strikes Back again.  Either NSMB or the holiday effect of Pokemon/Smash/NSMB combo is whats carrying it right now, only thing I can think of 

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but holy guacamole those Xbox One sales are atrocious. 

Sub-60k and getting outsold by more than 4:1 but not one but both of its competitors.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 20 February 2019

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
PwerlvlAmy said:
King back on the top already? I didn't think it would happen till at least mid to late Feb. Damn. So I did over estimate KH3 and RE 2 then. I figured they'd do wonders for PS4 because I consider them both huge games, at least they were to me.

I would assume the majority of those franchises would already be on PS4 by now.

All of the previous KH titles have been ported to PS4 along with the action RPG genre in general being well represented on the platform.

Same with RE, a new mainline title already released on the platform along with many of the previous mainline titles being ported to it.

At this point in a systems life (5+ years) I mostly expect these types of games to just help the baseline remain steady or give a small boost.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

PwerlvlAmy said:
King back on the top already? I didn't think it would happen till at least mid to late Feb. Damn. So I did over estimate KH3 and RE 2 then. I figured they'd do wonders for PS4 because I consider them both huge games, at least they were to me.

Guess the time of the PS4 is over and people are ready to move on

KLAMarine said:

It's pretty easy to figure out, just look at the software charts from various regions.

NPD Jan

NSMBU #3

Smash Bros #5

Mario Kart #9

Zelda #13

Mario Party #15

Mario Odyssey #20

Media Create week 5

NSMBU #3

Smash Bros #4

Pokemon Let's Go #5

Mario Party #7

Mario Kart #8

Splatoon 2 #12

Zelda #13

EMEAA (Europe, Middle East, Asia, Africa) week 5

NMSBU #5

Smash Bros #8

Mario Kart #11

Mario Party #13

Zelda #14

Mario Odyssey #17

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu #18

melbye said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

Guess the time of the PS4 is over and people are ready to move on

How do you figure? Hardware and software sales are great.

Mummelmann said:
Statistical tie at the top, I wonder if everyone thinks my idea that MS will release a new Xbox this year is still ridiculous though, those are some truly atrocious numbers.

Yeah they are between a rock and a hard place. They probably are desperate for next gen to start already but if they jump the gun too soon they could flop out the gate. But if they wait until 2020 when people will be thirsty for a new console then they will have to really suffer on for another 12 to 18 months. That's a hell of a long time to be sold 5:1 by your 2 competitors.