By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Yoshi's Crafted World

Tagged games:

675p and still looks good to me tbh.

Around the Network

Not getting demo so it doesn't ruin the gameplay. Buying day one probably, can't resist Yoshi games or this art style. Wooly World was underwhelming to play to me, but it was a visual treat and it brought me great joy.

Some of those resolutions get pretty low according to Digital Foundry, but I didn't seem to notice while playing through the demo. I wonder if it spends the vast majority of time at the 720p mark, and just on rare occasions dips below that (like the same frame that an explosion occurs or something like that).

I'll watch the actual video later when I'm not at work.

I'm trying to think if there could be a logical reason to release the demo at a lower resolution than the final product, but I can't come up with anything I find reasonable. Sure, Nintendo would want their demo to have a low file size, and they could pack in lower resolution textures to meet these demands, but they would still want the game to run at a higher resolution regardless, I would think.

I've played the demo. Regardless of the amount of pixels used the game looks spectacular, and has some of the most fun level design I have come across in a while.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

UE4 is a demanding engine, games made with it often run at lower resolutions; titles like Ace Combat 7, Tekken 7, Soul Calibur 6 are all 720p on the Xbox One for example, while Snake Pass is 864p on PS4 and 675p on Switch. It can produce stunning results, but its features seemingly come at a steep cost. Honestly though, that's fine by me so long as the tradeoffs made are the right ones, as they are here.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 February 2019

Around the Network

Other example of why resolution is overrated. If we didnt call DF for pixel counting, we would never notice the resolution is so low. I hope someday the community realize that.

Having gotten every flower from the demo a couple of times I'm really surprised to hear that was the resolution, and I'm playing it on a 130" 1080p projector. Game is just beautiful to watch and play.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

jonathanalis said:
Other example of why resolution is overrated. If we didnt call DF for pixel counting, we would never notice the resolution is so low. I hope someday the community realize that.

You're probably right tbh, had DF not told us I doubt anyone would ever have known it wasn't HD in TV mode.

As much as I love reading/watching DF's content as someone with an interest in the technical side of making games, I do sometimes feel like it inevitably makes people place too much important on specs like the number of pixels.

curl-6 said:
jonathanalis said:

You're probably right tbh, had DF not told us I doubt anyone would ever have known it wasn't HD in TV mode.

As much as I love reading/watching DF's content as someone with an interest in the technical side of making games, I do sometimes feel like it inevitably makes people place too much important on specs like the number of pixels.

can be interesting sometimes though to see things like Anthems optimization for the PS4P and X1X, seemed that DF figured that there was more work on the playstation side of things to make the game run smoother on the platform where it would probably earn them more money since it's outselling the X1X by such a large margin, just those times when power isn't the only factor in how a game runs on a certain system.

Yoshi though, I would agree that people would not have imagined that to be sub 720p when on a tv screen, it really is beautiful to look at, just such a playground of bizarre textures mashed together to create a world unlike anything else in games that I can think of.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Way lower res than I expected, saying that, game looks good despite low resolution.