By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Astral Chain announced for Nintendo Switch! (Platnium Games)

Tagged games:

Wyrdness said:
cycycychris said:

I would assume not, but I can't find anything online about it. Imo the guy who did bayo 2 is probably also directing bayo 3. But i could be wrong.

Kamiya is directing B3 which is why he only supervises this game.

It's not really clear on who's directing Bayonetta 3 as Yusuke Hashimoto directed Bayonetta 2 and also talked about possibilities of a Bayonetta 3 along with Kamiya.

Astral Chain appears to be a helluva ride and I am excited to learn more about it. Interesting that the Nier: Automata team is working on this game, so the game has some good prestige already, not that having Platinum Games in general provides some good prestige.

This is what I am talking about in terms of Nintendo's third party support. I hoped for more original games from third party developers when the Switch showed it was not a one-year wonder or a Wii U. With the Switch selling as it is, I hoped for more new/original games and yesterday's Direct gave me some good vibes in regards to third party games on the Switch. Sure, it won't match the output on the PS4 or Xbone in the end, but when you have upcoming games like Daemon x Machina (Marvelous), Rune Factory 5 (Neverland Co.), Shin Megami Tensei V (Atlus), Bayonetta 3 (Platinum Games), Astral Chain (Platinum Games), Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (Activision), Mortal Kombat 11 (NetherRealm Studios), Oninaki (Square Enix), and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (Team Ninja), that's not a bad third party haul for the Switch.

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
Wyrdness said:

Kamiya is directing B3 which is why he only supervises this game.

It's not really clear on who's directing Bayonetta 3 as Yusuke Hashimoto directed Bayonetta 2 and also talked about possibilities of a Bayonetta 3 along with Kamiya.

Astral Chain appears to be a helluva ride and I am excited to learn more about it. Interesting that the Nier: Automata team is working on this game, so the game has some good prestige already, not that having Platinum Games in general provides some good prestige.

This is what I am talking about in terms of Nintendo's third party support. I hoped for more original games from third party developers when the Switch showed it was not a one-year wonder or a Wii U. With the Switch selling as it is, I hoped for more new/original games and yesterday's Direct gave me some good vibes in regards to third party games on the Switch. Sure, it won't match the output on the PS4 or Xbone in the end, but when you have upcoming games like Daemon x Machina (Marvelous), Rune Factory 5 (Neverland Co.), Shin Megami Tensei V (Atlus), Bayonetta 3 (Platinum Games), Astral Chain (Platinum Games), Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (Activision), Mortal Kombat 11 (NetherRealm Studios), Oninaki (Square Enix), and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (Team Ninja), that's not a bad third party haul for the Switch.

We do know Kamiya is directly involved either way due to his comments in interviews where he said that the are ideas he wants to implement in the third game this can only happen with him being either a designer, director or producer. Astral Chain is likely either second party (like B3) or first party (like W101) I'm thinking more towards the latter where the NA team have been contracted to do a new IP for Nintendo it was rumoured all the way back in 2017 following Nier Automata's release that PG were doing 2 to possibly 3 projects for Nintendo we now know of 2, Nintendo are now investing in both the Bayo and NA teams which at some point in future could turn into a full on second party arrangement.

shikamaru317 said:
Rafie said:

Ahh damn why? Was it a license issue?! Like something expired or anything? That sucks. Well hopefully that Babylon game will still come out on PS4/Steam.

The contract ended it seems.

Cygames statement:

Tokyo-based video game publisher and developer Cygames, Inc. (HQ: Shibuya-ku, Tokyo; President: Koichi Watanabe, hereinafter referred as “Cygames”) has recently been engaged in the co-development of the upcoming console game Granblue Fantasy: Relink together with esteemed developer PlatinumGames Inc.

Going forward, Cygames will handle 100 percent of development internally.

Cygames would like to assure everyone looking forward to the title that we remain committed to delivering a game that meets the expectation of our fan-base and gamers everywhere.

Platinum statement:

While we, PlatinumGames, have been working with Cygames in co-development of the upcoming console game Granblue Fantasy: Relink, we officially announce our contract on the project has come to an end. Development will still continue, but be handled solely by Cygames’ internal development team.

We would like to express our thanks to everyone who has shown interest in the project, and ask that the same support should continue for Granblue Fantasy: Relink as its production continues forward.

Damn.. well I'm still looking forward to it. It looks good. Thank you for the info as usual. I didn't know that PG stopped working on it. I wonder if the fighting game is still a thing as well.

mjk45 said:
Rafie said:

Ahh damn why? Was it a license issue?! Like something expired or anything? That sucks. Well hopefully that Babylon game will still come out on PS4/Steam.

All platinum said was  the reason was simply because they had completed their contract. 

Well it's cool. They can work on that Babylon game and Bayo 3. I'm cool with that!

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

cycycychris said:
Its hard to say right now if Kamiya is working on Bayo 3. It appears development started pretty close to when his game was canceled, so its possible.

My guess is this is the only thing Kamiya is working on right now. He reportedly was very stressed after the Scalebound fiasco and took a month of vacation, so I think giving him a smaller role by supervising Astral Chain while letting the guy from NieR Direct a game for the first time let's them hit two birds with one stone: Kamiya gets back on track progressively while the new talented Director makes experience, after this game Platinum will be able to work on 3 big titles at the same time (the third one being handled by Hashimoto/whoever is directing Bayo 3)

I think this might be the game I'm most excited for this year.

Around the Network

I wish it was online co op xD

it looks awesome

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

I think it's pretty much official Kamiya has to be director or producer of Bayonetta 3 at this point as it's confirmed Hashimoto has left PG.

Wyrdness said:
The clear concept in the game from the trailer is the synergy between the player and the mech like being they're chained to, going by PG's approach to depth and NA's design choices for combat we see the chained entity (CE for now) has different variants so they'll likely dictate how the player conducts the mechanics we also see the player character use melee and ranged weaponry so we have differing equipment to add depth as well. I'll guess and say that what you have equipped determines the abilities and obviously attacks you have while the CE determines the mechanics and approach you can take and I'm guessing you'll likely be able to switch CE and equipment on the fly as well. Currently the gameplay looks like a combination of MGR, NA and Vanquish.

The entities are called Legions, if Im not mistaken.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Wyrdness said:
I think it's pretty much official Kamiya has to be director or producer of Bayonetta 3 at this point as it's confirmed Hashimoto has left PG.

Yea just read about it now. What a twist of events...wish him well in his future endeavors.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/02/14/bayonetta-2-director-yusuke-hashimoto-leaves-platinumgames

I like what I saw

I LOVE ICELAND!