By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Super Slim and PS4 Pro Slim?

Will we get PS4 Super Slim and/or PS4 Pro Slim?

PS4 Super Slim and PS4 Pro Slim 17 35.42%

only PS4 Super Slim 4 8.33%

only PS4 Pro Slim 7 14.58%

no new hardware until PS5 20 41.67%

Total:48

Just because it's at 7nm and smaller, doesn't mean it's going to be cheaper to produce.

You have yields to contend with... And because 7nm is a leading process, there is a ton of demand for it... And a limited number of wafer output. - Whilst demand of 14/16nm is starting to lessen... Meaning fabs will often discount 14/16nm wafers to keep foundry's busy... Because an idle foundry is a foundry not making cash.

In saying that... That doesn't mean a super slim cannot happen with the current chips anyway without a shrink, cost cutting can happen to the other components.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

they could've reached over 90m PS3s easily with a cut to $200 in September 2012 (for the 160gb)

They should not miss their chance to get more hardware and therefore more PSN accounts and software sales before PS4 runs out of life.  Gotta get it to the mass market price PS3 never reached.  There's no cell to keep it expensive this time.  They will still profit at $200 and it will get them huge sales.  Bundle it with a big software title like GoW, Spidey, Days Gone, etc.

If they don't lower price on both it will be a weird situation of PS4 Pro being the same price as PS5 and PS4 base being just $100 cheaper.  Would kill late sales of PS4 (that's one of the big reasons PS3 got cut off was because its price was still too high). 

In the U.S., the PS3's drop in August 2011 from $300 to $250 has almost no impact on sales. There was a roughly 20% YoY jump in September, but that's about it. August was still down, October was flat, the holidays were barely up (and that could be due to Black Friday deals, which first started to be a big deal for hardware that year), Q1 was down YoY in 2012, and Q2-Q4 were down even more. In Japan, there was a ¥5000 price cut at the same time, and the impact was likewise very modest and quite short-lived.

Late-life price cuts like that don't do anything major. There is absolutely no precedent for modest price cuts providing a major stimulus to sales after the first several years (price cuts generally result in diminishing returns over time), nor for deeper price cuts being issued at all this late in a system's life. At best, it may reduce the rate of decline a bit, but that's it. Sony is going to look at that experience with the PS3 and likely come to the conclusion that the PS4 isn't going to see any significant growth anymore even if they issue a price cut.

The rate of decline is greatly reduced I think (though there’s no way to tell what sales would have been if they hadn’t cut) and I think getting under $200 moves it into impulse buy territory plus many people just buy late once they see a certain price.  I think it helped ps2 leg it out being under $200 and it would have helped ps3 decline much less quickly.

I am Iron Man

mjk45 said:
potato_hamster said:

It's probably even higher than that now. PS4 Pro represented 20-25% of sales when it first came out, but I think it might have dropped off since then.

I'm assuming melbye naively assumes that if Sony stopped selling the PS4 then developers would only have to develop with the PS4 Pro in mind, and not be forced to still support the regular PS4 at all.

Can you imagine the blowback from PS4 owners who have had their consoles for any number of years and have bought the bulk of the software, finding out that if they wanted new games they would have to upgrade, and with the PS5 around the corner Pro only development wouldn't excite anyone, anyway what you wrote at the beginning leads me to believe you assumed it to be rather wishful anyway.

quite wishful, yeah. It literally doesn't make any sense.

potato_hamster said:
mjk45 said:

Can you imagine the blowback from PS4 owners who have had their consoles for any number of years and have bought the bulk of the software, finding out that if they wanted new games they would have to upgrade, and with the PS5 around the corner Pro only development wouldn't excite anyone, anyway what you wrote at the beginning leads me to believe you assumed it to be rather wishful anyway.

I don't think this is what melbye was trying to say. Creating Slim versions of both consoles while also planning a PS5 release in the near future seems like a tall order, and if the difference in manufacturing cost of the Pro vs Original is small enough, it wouldn't be that far-fetched to imagine a world where Sony phases out the regular PS4 and sells a single SKU, the New Super Slim PS4 Pro Deluxe.

And it's really not that bad for OG PS4 owners. All you'd need to do is flip the secret hatch on the back of your unit to reveal a map which will lead you to a minecart. Hop into the minecart, descend into the crust of the Earth, and eventually you will find the secret headquarters where the Pro units are dispensed.

Nope. Don't see it happening. Its not worth it.

Around the Network

I think we are getting both. But if it is just one, it will be the regular Super Slim

The thing is that whenever this kind of revision happens, the design is altered a little. The PRO resembles the Slim looks and not the original; so in order to have Brand consistency, when they release a Super Slim PS4, they will most likely release a PRO slim (or at least a revision changing the design).

RaptorChrist said:
potato_hamster said:

I don't think this is what melbye was trying to say. Creating Slim versions of both consoles while also planning a PS5 release in the near future seems like a tall order, and if the difference in manufacturing cost of the Pro vs Original is small enough, it wouldn't be that far-fetched to imagine a world where Sony phases out the regular PS4 and sells a single SKU, the New Super Slim PS4 Pro Deluxe.

And it's really not that bad for OG PS4 owners. All you'd need to do is flip the secret hatch on the back of your unit to reveal a map which will lead you to a minecart. Hop into the minecart, descend into the crust of the Earth, and eventually you will find the secret headquarters where the Pro units are dispensed.

I did just like you said and now I'm walking around lost in the middle of the earth, who the hell decided to make maps that guide you into the fiery depths of the earth out of highly inflammable material .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

twintail said:
DonFerrari said:

And there is a good bunch of people that double or triple dip (some would sell their original system though). So a new model will attract some sales.

Although I had a PS3 super slim coming the year before PS4, but Sony never made it.

People are complex. Some will look at above 200 USD for the system and frown, but pay 60 USD for PSN+ or new games without much problem. It all depends on how much the person value the system and the service/game.

I rather pay 1000 USD on the system and games start selling for less than 30 USD, than pay 200 USD on the system and games for 60 USD, because the HW for 1000 can have much more power than for 200.

I totally agree. I dont want to say otherwise. I'm not sure I see that as a big enough group. I could be wrong

Well I believe if they released PS5 for 1000 USD even if a very beefy console, it would totally flop. Too few people would be willing to pay for it even if they end up putting 2000 USD in games later.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

PS4 Portable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

DonFerrari said:
twintail said:

I totally agree. I dont want to say otherwise. I'm not sure I see that as a big enough group. I could be wrong

Well I believe if they released PS5 for 1000 USD even if a very beefy console, it would totally flop. Too few people would be willing to pay for it even if they end up putting 2000 USD in games later.

A stand alone PS5 at $1,000 would be a terrible decision. A PS5 as part of Sony's Elevated Standards line, that sits as an enthusiast level option, along side a $399.99 PS5 Basic, and a $599.99 PS5 Pro, that would be a worthwhile market. I have said this a thousand times. I don't get why Sony sells enthusiast level products in their Walkman Line, Xperia Line, and Bravia Line, yet we still don't have an enthusiast level PlayStation. PlayStation sells more than the rest of these products combined, and is actually a profitable business, with a very loyal fan base. If any product Sony sells should have an enthusiast level offering, it is PlayStation.

With games being built with dynamic frame rates, and resolution, needing nothing more than additional power to achieve locked performance (as seen with non enhanced games on PS4 Pro, XBO S, and XBO X), you can not convince me that there are not a few million PlayStation Fanatics out their that would not plop down the cash for a PS5 that could deliver uncompromised performance.

Signalstar said:
PS4 Portable

One Day!!!

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL