By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Update: 25m Players Now: Apex Legends Has 10 Million Player and 1 Million Concurrent Players

I enjoy PUBG and Overwatch, but don't really do esports otherwise. Would I like it?

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
I enjoy PUBG and Overwatch, but don't really do esports otherwise. Would I like it?

This game is basically a mix of Overwatch, Titanfall 2 and battle royale so you might like it.

25m already and well over 2m concurrent. This is mega huge now. Deserved.

Kerotan said:
DonFerrari said:

So these numbers are incredible.

Just shows you don't need years of hype to sell a game. 

Well, I think that, in this case, the lack of hype caused a bunch of hype.  You can really only pull that off once in a while, and with absolute perfect control of leaks.  This game was a total surprise, in an industry where that never happens.  That's the marketing plan right there.  

VAMatt said:
Kerotan said:

Just shows you don't need years of hype to sell a game. 

Well, I think that, in this case, the lack of hype caused a bunch of hype.  You can really only pull that off once in a while, and with absolute perfect control of leaks.  This game was a total surprise, in an industry where that never happens.  That's the marketing plan right there.  

The release was well done, instead of people hearing about EA publishing a BR game and the negative noise around that, instead you got a what's this game by respawn could be interesting  vibe going on, along with no  $60 barrier to checking it out , also you would assume a lot of  Battle Royaler's looking for the new next big BR game upon seeing a new BR game that they know next to nothing about would find that an itch they just had to scratch.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

Game will be a great Trojan horse on PC to get people using Origin. Will probably end up helping Anthem.

mjk45 said:
VAMatt said:

The release was well done, instead of people hearing about EA publishing a BR game and the negative noise around that, instead you got a what's this game by respawn could be interesting  vibe going on, along with no  $60 barrier to checking it out , also you would assume a lot of  Battle Royaler's looking for the new next big BR game upon seeing a new BR game that they know next to nothing about would find that an itch they just had to scratch.

The timing was perfect. Right as CoD fatigue set in (January onward typically sees loses in player base and not nearly enough new customers to replace) Fortnite has already peaked and is SLOWLY seeing players leave to try out other games, and PUBG, while new on Playstation has gotten old on PC and Xbox.

And let's not forget the streamers/Youtubers. Both the CoD Youtubers I watch made half or more of their recent videos on Apex Legends and regularly mention on social media how much they love the game. That sort of publicity is far better than any corporate sponsored shenanigans, even if they don't EA it up (see BF V).

Step 1 completed
Step 2 Announce Origin will take similar cut like the epic store + one extra benefit (help porting game to consoles etc)
Step 3 Announce former Steam Game to be exclusive on Origins.
If Result :> Overwhelming positive vibes and praise = $$$EA$$$
:> Still Negative vibes = Blame racists because the game has two African ladies and gamers can't stomach it.

I never cottoned to Fortnite and just wasn't interested in PUBG. This one seems very good ... but although I've played many hours of it already they haven't got me to part with cash yet so it will be interesting to see how attractive I find the season pass. When I see some of the skills of other players I think that I may just fall through the skill floor after a couple more weeks.

This game is free and high quality, it makes PUBG asking for 30$ seem like a joke.

This is probably the best Battle Royal on the market atm.