By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Microsoft Considering Expanding Xbox Live to other platforms including Nintendo Switch

I'll start by saying I'm pretty ignorant.

Does this mean Xbox games on the switch? Or does it only apply to the handling of online functionality?

I like it when my mom goes out of town because I get to sleep on her side of the bed. -William Montgomery

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
How would that even work without hurting Nintendo in the long run?

How does this hurt Nintendo?

It removes a major infrastructure development and maintenance burden, and gives it to a pre-existing expert. In addition, Nintendo gains extra royalty revenues since the games are still being licensed to Switch.

Microsoft in turn gets to tremendously expand their platform to a potential 100+ million more customers within 5 years, and without the need of expanding the Xbox hardware user base.

It’s kind of win/win.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

KBG29 said:
This is why Microsoft is looking amazing right now. They have stepped away from pushing Xbox, and have started pushing Games. This new idea of developing more games, and allowing people to play on any platform they choose is what will push Microsoft over Sony and Nintendo. People don't like being locked down to a single device, or a single level of experience. No one wants to be left out of the party, and no one that can afford it wants to be limited to a one size fits all box.

Microsoft is on point with bringing XBL services to other platforms. With Cloud Saves, Achievements, and Friends Lists across every device you own, Microsoft will have the best value of anyone in the industry bar non.

I really hope Nintendo is open to this, or has plans to expand their hardware portfolio. Either fight, or join. Same goes for Sony. I like competition, but to have competition companies have to fight. I don't want to see Sony and Nintendo roll over and die like they did with Portables.

Anyhow, I look forward to GDC. This will be an interesting topic. I am sure a lot more is to come as well.

Looks like MS is throwing in the white flag to me. And Sony won’t play with them so they’re going with Nintendo. Soon there won’t be an Xbox console. But if this avenue is profitable for MS then why not?

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Nintendo would be foolish to allow such a thing to occur.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Jumpin said:
Darwinianevolution said:
How would that even work without hurting Nintendo in the long run?

How does this hurt Nintendo?

It removes a major infrastructure development and maintenance burden, and gives it to a pre-existing expert. In addition, Nintendo gains extra royalty revenues since the games are still being licensed to Switch.

Microsoft in turn gets to tremendously expand their platform to a potential 100+ million more customers within 5 years, and without the need of expanding the Xbox hardware user base.

It’s kind of win/win.

If the XBox Live starts selling games through Nintendo's hardware (or rents them or gives them away) they would be compeeting with a external service for digital revenue, something unheard of in console gaming. This is the same reason Nintendo shot down Origin's online during the WiiU era.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

I would love this so much! And I'd actually pay for online on the Switch. Especially if they found a way to give me Achievements for Nintendo games like Zelda BotW.

FentonCrackshell said:

Looks like MS is throwing in the white flag to me. And Sony won’t play with them so they’re going with Nintendo. Soon there won’t be an Xbox console. But if this avenue is profitable for MS then why not?

I think MS is getting things ready in the event that the XB2 fails against the PS5. Considering they are announcing thisn now, I don't think they believe things are looking too bright next gen.

Signalstar said: 
Nintendo would be foolish to allow such a thing to occur.

Agreed. That's just too much power/control and, more than likely, extra revenue to just give away. 

Also, do they think Google and Apple are just going to get rid of their hold on the games sold in their stores? 

Would be cool but I have my doubts on Nintendo allowing it to happen. Android/iOS sure but probably not Nintendo. Which sucks because I'd love to have achievements on my Nintendo Games.

NobleTeam360 said:
Would be cool but I have my doubts on Nintendo allowing it to happen. Android/iOS sure but probably not Nintendo. Which sucks because I'd love to have achievements on my Nintendo Games.

They may let you check your Live account out from an app on their stores, but there is a big difference between that and having Live integrated into games that they sell from those stores.  I don't know about Apple, but I know Google already has a network for tracking games, with achievements.

KBG29 said:
This is why Microsoft is looking amazing right now. They have stepped away from pushing Xbox, and have started pushing Games. This new idea of developing more games, and allowing people to play on any platform they choose is what will push Microsoft over Sony and Nintendo. People don't like being locked down to a single device, or a single level of experience. No one wants to be left out of the party, and no one that can afford it wants to be limited to a one size fits all box.

Microsoft is on point with bringing XBL services to other platforms. With Cloud Saves, Achievements, and Friends Lists across every device you own, Microsoft will have the best value of anyone in the industry bar non.

I really hope Nintendo is open to this, or has plans to expand their hardware portfolio. Either fight, or join. Same goes for Sony. I like competition, but to have competition companies have to fight. I don't want to see Sony and Nintendo roll over and die like they did with Portables.

Anyhow, I look forward to GDC. This will be an interesting topic. I am sure a lot more is to come as well.

I call this BS bro.

They are not pushing games, they are a weak mid - tier games publisher, behind Aksys or 505 Games. Halo was developed by 2nd party Bungie, Gears of War was a moneyhat, and Playground were also 2nd party for years. Dont believe in Spencer, he is storytelling.

I dont think any of PS4 owners feels locked down to anything, I think opposite, they are happy because the PS4 is the place with the best flow of AAA 3rd and 1st party games. The only ones who is out of the party is MS gaming wise now, with a small userbase and PS4/Switch/PC games missing in action.

What the best valuse are u talking about? The best thing in Xbox portfolio is One X and Gamepass, thats all.