By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Apex Legends", F2P Titanfall BR game set to stealth launch Monday *Update: Out Now*

Tagged games:

Poor Respawn, there's no way this is going to end well.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
Poor Respawn, there's no way this is going to end well.

Titanfall 2 came out in 2016 (didn't realise it was that long ago) bought by EA in 2017 then in that time made a BR game, when the BR fad only really started with PubG in mid 2017.

They are a talented developer and should be making a big epic game, not some cash in BR game for EA. But that's EA for you. Watch them slowly shut down Respawn then Bioware. :P

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Ganoncrotch said: 

on topic though, another Battle Royale title, I guess we're going to be seeing these pop up more and more since they require less work in general than full blown titles as most of the games seem to work around 1 or very few maps with limited class's or just weapons you find being the only differences to gameplay each round. Low investment high potential reward, shareholders dream.

I've played PubG only a little however, played a fair amount of Blackout, never played Fortnite. Each have their strengths and appeal but in the end, like any genre the fad will end and people will stop trying to replicate to make money. Fortnite already won, it's like the whole CoD situation in late 2000s early 2010s, companies just making a war shooter to cash in not realising that CoD had taken the market already. If a game like this can get even 1% of Fortnite's player base it would be a success.

... however, it might appeal to those that want to play a less kid friendly BR but don't want to pay for CoD or PubG.

What comes to mind with me in battle royal games is looking back at the emergence and popularity of WoW and then the following release of the tons and tons of "WoW Killers" all of which ended up dying a death trying to reproduce a game which already existed but doing it better or more edgy to try to pull the audience away from the already established title.

Much like WoW I think the title which will be the "Fortnite killer" will be Fortnite itself doing something to upset the fanbase or the parents of them

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:

What comes to mind with me in battle royal games is looking back at the emergence and popularity of WoW and then the following release of the tons and tons of "WoW Killers" all of which ended up dying a death trying to reproduce a game which already existed but doing it better or more edgy to try to pull the audience away from the already established title.

Much like WoW I think the title which will be the "Fortnite killer" will be Fortnite itself doing something to upset the fanbase or the parents of them

Indeed, well put. Funny that Fortnite's money making side is just an after thought on it's main game anyway in response to PubG's success. Of course being made free to play and whatever happened in January 2018 made it really take off. I still don't understand what happened, thing was F2P for months then suddenly everyone and their mum were subscribing to Ninja.

Not sure what they'd actually do at this stage to mess it up, Epic can mess themselves up if they don't support their market place they are doing correctly (signing up games as exclusive is a weird way of doing it) but for Fortnite, all the main gameplay is pretty much the same, they just release new skins and make money. 

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Indeed, well put. Funny that Fortnite's money making side is just an after thought on it's main game anyway in response to PubG's success. Of course being made free to play and whatever happened in January 2018 made it really take off. I still don't understand what happened, thing was F2P for months then suddenly everyone and their mum were subscribing to Ninja.

Not sure what they'd actually do at this stage to mess it up, Epic can mess themselves up if they don't support their market place they are doing correctly (signing up games as exclusive is a weird way of doing it) but for Fortnite, all the main gameplay is pretty much the same, they just release new skins and make money. 

Indeed, the main appeal for kids and teens now is that everyone is playing it, peer pressure at that age bracket is incredible so you don't wanna be the kid who isn't playing it.

For parents I see it like this....v bucks are cheaper than babysitters. That's the bottom line to how epic are making their money, skins and season pass = quiet time.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said: 

For parents I see it like this....v bucks are cheaper than babysitters. That's the bottom line to how epic are making their money, skins and season pass = quiet time.

True, pay £40 vbucks on Fortnite for the year vs £40 per game on 4 or 5 games over the year plus PSN/XBL to play said games. Fortnite is just free (Well, unless Xbox haven't changed that policy yet).

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Ganoncrotch said: 

True, pay £40 vbucks on Fortnite for the year vs £40 per game on 4 or 5 games over the year plus PSN/XBL to play said games. Fortnite is just free (Well, unless Xbox haven't changed that policy yet).

Xbox live gold is required for Fortnite on the X1. PSN+ or Nintendo online are not required for the PS4/Switch.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/why-do-you-need-xbox-live-gold-to-play-fortnite/ec5d776e-6496-4c6c-b15b-b5c21cb97e0c

Yeah fortnite is only free to play on the ps4/switch/pc. You need gold on xbox. This new game will be the same.

Under 90mins till the stream!

Haha, 40k sad people watching some grass move in the wind...

... wait.

Hmm, pie.

https://www.twitch.tv/playapex Stream teaser is up with full details just under 4 hours.