By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What's With The PS4 Sales Doubt?

Where Do You Think The PS4 Ends?

100M-110M 13 11.61%

111M-120M 30 26.79%

121M-130M 40 35.71%

131M-140M 21 18.75%

141M-150M 5 4.46%

150M+ 3 2.68%

Total:112

First half of this gen I thought it would stop at about 95m or whatever. Obviously that seems to be wrong. I’d say it could reach 120m now, which is amazing. Good job Sony.

I suck at hardware predicting though, I figured WiiU would do 64m and Switch 40m.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Lafiel said:

the moment it was announced? nah, certain ppl were convinced the PS4 was going to be Sony's last console for atleast a year before it was announced

@topic)

I see no realistic way for the PS4 to end up shipping less than 120m lifetime, with 130+m being my best guess right now and 140+m being a possibility. I think Sony could even release a PS4-handheld (straight up PS4 HW in a handheld) once we get to the 5nm process and with further battery tech improvements, which pretty certainly would make the PS4-family the best sold system.

3nm sure..... 5nm not a chance. 

For a handheld to work you need to get the APU to pull no more than 20W. And thats just the start of your problems.

How far away from 5nm and 3nm are we?

FentonCrackshell said:
I said below 110 before but now I think between 115 and 120. This year will be weak for PS4.

Whats your idea of weak?

I think its going to do around 15M with a similar pricing scheme to 2018 or around 18M if there is an early permanent price drop to $199. And to me those are great numbers for a 6yr old console. Poor to me will be like under 14M but sony will not let that happen cause if they see it tracking like that then we will see that price drop early (around june) 

Kerotan said:
Intrinsic said:

3nm sure..... 5nm not a chance. 

For a handheld to work you need to get the APU to pull no more than 20W. And thats just the start of your problems.

Well volume production of 7nm is really going t come into its own in 2020. So if there are no hiccups 5nm should swing by around 2023/2024. Thats a big if because risk production for 5nm is actually to begin this year and it usually takes around 12-18 months to go from risk production t actual production chips and then another 18-24 moths to o into mass volume production (the stage consoles need it to be at before adoption).  And 3nm around 2027/2028.

Its also expected that 7nm is a long node..... this means it will be in circulation fr a while and instead go through design improvements as opposed to rushing to 5nm. This is more to do with changes in the fabrication process and how they will probably want t implement those changes on  familiar node before shrinking it down to 3nm.

Consoles usually get their chips like 2 years into a new node size availability. This is a cost thing. A way they can fast track that is by building in redundancy into the chip.... kinda like the PS4pro APU having a 40CU GPU but only using 36 and dropping the clock to ~900mhz when the GPU it was based on was clocked at 1266mhz and capable of 5.8TF with a power draw f around 100W. 

I think its because some people only facator in NPD sales and think that USA represents the vast majority of console sales. PS3 sales were underestimated by many due to the same reason, they saw Xbox 360 dominance in USA and thought PS3 was selling poorly overall.

130M is exactly what i expect by the end.

15M 2019 107M LT
10M 2020 117M LT
6M 2021 123M LT
4M 2022 127M LT
2'5M 2023 129-130M LT

And with those projections i think i'm being cautious. I won't be surprised if one of those years are better than i expected.

Around the Network
Mbolibombo said:
How many are actually saying it will barely pass 100M ? That was a couple of years ago, hardly now.

120-130M would get my vote. But who knows, PS4 has been killing it for long, It all depends on how the remaining software are distributed over the year/next year. If LoU2 and the rest of the FP comes in a timely spaced out schedule we could see it being even more.

Looks like he is referring to YouTube guys. Makes sense good clickbait material to get people to your channel.

Agree 2 years ago it made some sense to have some doubt as well I think most expected XBOX to put some sort of fight lol. Kind of like the PS3 never gave up and chugged along and then eventually took over 360. With PS3 just crossing 86million it was not unreasonable at the time to think if XBOX was going to be in the fight that the PS4 may just cross the line. Microsoft just gave up and went oto next gen planning mode, which I think it may actually hurt them unless they bring out something with a wow factor.

thismeintiel said:

FentonCrackshell said:
I said below 110 before but now I think between 115 and 120. This year will be weak for PS4.

Well, 115M-120M is definitely more reasonable.  What is your prediction for PS4 sales this year?

13 million

Last edited by FentonCrackshell - on 03 February 2019

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Intrinsic said:
FentonCrackshell said:

Whats your idea of weak?

I think its going to do around 15M with a similar pricing scheme to 2018 or around 18M if there is an early permanent price drop to $199. And to me those are great numbers for a 6yr old console. Poor to me will be like under 14M but sony will not let that happen cause if they see it tracking like that then we will see that price drop early (around june) 

Kerotan said:

Well volume production of 7nm is really going t come into its own in 2020. So if there are no hiccups 5nm should swing by around 2023/2024. Thats a big if because risk production for 5nm is actually to begin this year and it usually takes around 12-18 months to go from risk production t actual production chips and then another 18-24 moths to o into mass volume production (the stage consoles need it to be at before adoption).  And 3nm around 2027/2028.

Its also expected that 7nm is a long node..... this means it will be in circulation fr a while and instead go through design improvements as opposed to rushing to 5nm. This is more to do with changes in the fabrication process and how they will probably want t implement those changes on  familiar node before shrinking it down to 3nm.

Consoles usually get their chips like 2 years into a new node size availability. This is a cost thing. A way they can fast track that is by building in redundancy into the chip.... kinda like the PS4pro APU having a 40CU GPU but only using 36 and dropping the clock to ~900mhz when the GPU it was based on was clocked at 1266mhz and capable of 5.8TF with a power draw f around 100W. 

Thanks. I'd be hoping ps5 is 7nm, ps5 Pro is 5nm and PS5 is 3nm. Time will tell! 

So PS4 will be at 100m around of half of this year, my vote goes to 120-130m,
I dont see PS4 passing 130m, but hardly will sell less than 120m LT also.

Considering it’ll be sold and supported for another 5 years or so, only had one pricedrop yet and will continue selling for 150-200 after PS5...especially if PS5 releases for more than 400,-, which is very likely imho, I don't see why it would sell less than 130 million.