By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Alita Battle Angel by James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez (based on the manga

Saw this movie last night, I loved it, I thought it was really a great movie and again visually it was awesome, this has to be the clearest 3D movie I’ve ever seen. I very much enjoyed the story, I think Alita looked amazing too.

Critics are retarded now, I’ve really noticed in the last couple years they are rating stuff very pourly and I see it anyway and end up really liking it.

Around the Network

Not really interested in the film. So far it seems like those who have watched the film like it, so there is that.

Unfortunately, I don't know if this film is going to make much profit, if any at all. They went crazy on this film, spending $170M on the budget alone. Probably could have shaved quite a bit off of that just having the actress be in the film, instead of insisting on her being CG.  Anyway, add in marketing and the theater's cut, this film is probably going to have to make ~$500M to break even. It looks like it is going to make ~$40M after its first five days at the DBO. Not a very good haul. The FBO, mostly China, is going to have to do some serious lifting.

thismeintiel said:

Not really interested in the film. So far it seems like those who have watched the film like it, so there is that.

Unfortunately, I don't know if this film is going to make much profit, if any at all. They went crazy on this film, spending $170M on the budget alone. Probably could have shaved quite a bit off of that just having the actress be in the film, instead of insisting on her being CG.  Anyway, add in marketing and the theater's cut, this film is probably going to have to make ~$500M to break even. It looks like it is going to make ~$40M after its first five days at the DBO. Not a very good haul. The FBO, mostly China, is going to have to do some serious lifting.

You are unfortunately correct, domestically this movie doesn’t look to be posting very good numbers. Maybe good word of mouth may make it have decent legs, I guess we’ll see.

I am sure the major numbers will be overseas, China/Japan etc like you said. It’s a shame that a movie like this may not even do half of aquaman lol

COKTOE said:
KManX89 said:

Yup, there seems to be another disconnect between critic and audience reception so far judging by the early reviews. Chris Stuckmann, Jeremy Jahns and several other YouTubers said they liked it as well.

I'm not familiar with the source material, but I plan on seeing it. This'll be the last film under Fox as a standalone studio, so why not?

Yikes. I forgot that Dis-nee bought them out too. What could go wrong though?......*Cough*

To be fair, the X-Men and Fantastic Four back under the Marvel wing will do a lot of good. Fox meanwhile have a fairly spotty track record with those properties, especially the F4. My God was the 2015 reboot awful. 

thismeintiel said:

You seem to be more interested about how profitable movies are than about the movies themselves.

But each to their own, i guess.

Around the Network
Conina said:
thismeintiel said:

You seem to be more interested about how profitable movies are than about the movies themselves.

Not to defend thismeintiel but to an extent i am as well(for movies I enjoy and hope to get a sequel). The better the film does with profits the more likely to get a sequel right. For example I’ll be disappointed if Alita does badly overall box office because I really want a sequel lol.

Also just want to add I even if a movie isn’t my cup of tea but part of a genre I love I hope for it to be profitable so that we can see more movies in that specific genre, example if sci fi continuously were to bomb at the box office why would anyone make a sci fi film?

Conina said:
thismeintiel said:

You realize what site you are on, right? 

KManX89 said:
COKTOE said:

Yikes. I forgot that Dis-nee bought them out too. What could go wrong though?......*Cough*

To be fair, the X-Men and Fantastic Four back under the Marvel wing will do a lot of good. Fox meanwhile have a fairly spotty track record with those properties, especially the F4. My God was the 2015 reboot awful. 

You're absolutely right of course, I just don't like the idea of so many properties being under the control of one entity. IMO Star Wars has suffered under Disney, both in terms of movies, and the direction Rebels was taking during season 3. I've effectively bailed on that show, and from snippets I've read, it seems like I may have made made the right call.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

thismeintiel said:
Conina said:

Why do you think 500M ? 425M should be enough no ? The movie's budget is 170M so we do x2.5 (marketing included) = 425M.

Go to see the movie man, it's very good.

Keiji said:
thismeintiel said:

Why do you think 500M ? 425M should be enough no ? The movie's budget is 170M so we do x2.5 (marketing included) = 425M.

Go to see the movie man, it's very good.

I just kinda doubt they only spent $42M on advertising.  They had a Superbowl ad, that was ~$5.5M on its own for (mainly) just the US audience.  They have been pushing this pretty hard, so ~$85M seems like a good estimate.  BOM also seems to agree, giving a number of $500-$550M to break even.

And we have foreign numbers in for the weekend, now.  This is the 2nd weekend for Alita in the international market and it has yet to cross $95M.  So, WW, with 4 days in NA and 10-12 days in foreign markets, it has a total of ~$131M.  If it gets a 2x multiplier from this point on, that's ~$262M WW.  So, that will be ~$238M that China and Japan, and possibly some other smaller markets it will release in in the coming weeks, will have to make up for.  Just don't see it happening.