By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales week 4, January 21 - 27 , 2019

colafitte said:
Considering KH III and RE2 lack digital sales which in PS4 should be around 10-15% in Japan por both (i'd be surprised if it's more than that), they did fine, but nothing amazing.

As for PS4..., rough times are coming. PS4 needs desperately a permanent price cut in Japan, if not, PS4 is going to be massively down this year.

And Switch, it seems is coming back already to the baseline of last year of around 50k sales per week. We will see if this is true or not in coming weeks.

Since when was the baseline last year 50k?

Around the Network
colafitte said:
Considering KH III and RE2 lack digital sales which in PS4 should be around 10-15% in Japan por both (i'd be surprised if it's more than that), they did fine, but nothing amazing.

As for PS4..., rough times are coming. PS4 needs desperately a permanent price cut in Japan, if not, PS4 is going to be massively down this year.

And Switch, it seems is coming back already to the baseline of last year of around 50k sales per week. We will see if this is true or not in coming weeks.

Switch will be interesting to see for sure, remainding 9 weeks of the quarter  last year Switch averaged 45.5k units per week. I'd imagined they beat would beat that but by how much?

Switch this week was 11% higher than last year that and so far a total of 48% for the entire quarter. 

colafitte said:
What it seems too, is that 2019 could be the worst year for hardware sales since i remember in Japan. Everything is dead except Switch, but it doesn't seem Switch is going to have a prime year like DS or Wii back then either...

Rough 2019 coming indeed....

With Yokai Watch 4, Fire Emblem and Pokemon in Japan, I think this will be a much different story you're portraying for Switch this year. 

At this point it’s a monopoly for the switch in japan

Nuvendil said:
colafitte said:

Since when was the baseline last year 50k?

ok, maybe not 50k, but more like 40k.

Around the Network
polofresco said:

So .... 215 more PS4 sold than switch during KH3 and RE2R launch week....

yay?

Anyway, very good numbers for KH3! also KH HD 1.5 +2.5 Remix charts

Yeah, PS4 is a beast, best selling console of the week, Switch will finally fall of a cliff

OTBWY said:
colafitte said:
What it seems too, is that 2019 could be the worst year for hardware sales since i remember in Japan. Everything is dead except Switch, but it doesn't seem Switch is going to have a prime year like DS or Wii back then either...

With Yokai Watch 4, Fire Emblem and Pokemon in Japan, I think this will be a much different story you're portraying for Switch this year. 

The comparison with Wii was wrong, i admit that, but i was thinking DS. DS back in the the day sold around 8M in a year in JP. Switch won't come close to that at all. Most people here are expecting Switch to sell between 4-4'5M this year. And i was saying that because that was what the industry needed in JP to not reach the low levels of hardware sales that 2019 is projecting.

And Switch is going to sell a lot of software this year, i'm not denying that. But huge software sales doesn't always mean huge hardware sales and viceversa.

SKMBlake said:
polofresco said:

So .... 215 more PS4 sold than switch during KH3 and RE2R launch week....

yay?

Anyway, very good numbers for KH3! also KH HD 1.5 +2.5 Remix charts

Yeah, PS4 is a beast, best selling console of the week, Switch will finally fall of a cliff

Switch will dominate Japan with iron fist this 2019

Not surprised at all, it's Japan, the land of Nintendo, in my memory, there's few week that PS4 outsell Switch since the release of Switch in Japan.

colafitte said:

I dont think anyone expect the Switch to do DS numbers....

Pocky Lover Boy!