By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo president says a Switch successor/price cut not currently being considered

sethnintendo said:
Oh damn I was totally expecting them to announce this months in advance or even before E3. Lol wtf do people expect them to shoot themselves in the foot?

Aye I think after the very early reveal of the X1X clearly undercut any confidence in buying the base model X1 I think other companies would learn from that mistake and not tease having a home run on the cards for a year and a half down the line while their currently trying to sell a machine. Moves like that just put gamers off buying a system right now and when it comes to options you had the PS4 there as a alternative to waiting 12 months for the X1X so people just jumped into Greatness.... and Knack.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Hiku said:
As the OP pointed out, the fact that this comment was made without the interviewer (seemingly) asking about it, makes it a bit more interesting than the standard PR denial.
Though interviewers questions are some time not entirely included in articles like this, so it's still possible it was a subject brought up by the interviewer in some shape or form.
But assuming it wasn't, it could be an indication that no price cut should be expected this year.

Or a poor translation.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Both lies, I'm sure. R&D takes years. They already have at least a concept of a Switch successor. And a price cut is inevitable. Probably in the fall, or early next year.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

zygote said:

He seems to blurt out a lot of fishy and mildly alarming comments unprovoked. I think he is a bit green in the PR department and could use some minor coaching. Still, of course they aren't considering it at this time. They wouldn't dare reveal any price cuts before they were official and there are Switch revisions first before there will be a successor. Switch could go quite far before a successor would need to be considered. This doesn't mean they are not looking into tech advancements and possibilities for future decisions.

I agree with this.  Also I get the impression that he has been asked about price cuts and successors a bunch of times and now he just says something about it.  Like almost every interviewer is going to ask about price cuts and new models anyway.  But he is green with PR, so he doesn't yet know that he is supposed to wait for them to bring it up, even if they all just keep asking the same questions over and over.