By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo president says a Switch successor/price cut not currently being considered

Ofcourse they're not considering anything at the moment they're the only gen 9 platform out doesn't mean that R&D is not still going on but they need to see their competitors gen 9 platforms before they consider what path to take with the Switch's successor.

Around the Network

I hope they wait and celebrate the release of PS5 with a price drop and new model.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Mar1217 said:
Yerm said:
outright admitting that they arent working on new hardware is a bad sign. it takes years to develop a console, and the PS5 and next Xbox could very well launch next year. if that happens, game devs arent going to care about the bottom line, the Switch is going to be left in the dust.

Or maybe they're ... you know, hiding information from us ? It's not like they would lay out their future plans in a simple interview.

yeah of course, why would you say you're looking at releasing a revision or successor to a machine which is pumping out half a million units a week, while it's selling as fast as it is let it fly on it's own and don't hamper sales.

No one starts to advertise a new line of cakes while customers are queuing up for already proven hot cakes!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
Mar1217 said:

Or maybe they're ... you know, hiding information from us ? It's not like they would lay out their future plans in a simple interview.

yeah of course, why would you say you're looking at releasing a revision or successor to a machine which is pumping out half a million units a week, while it's selling as fast as it is let it fly on it's own and don't hamper sales.

No one starts to advertise a new line of cakes while customers are queuing up for already proven hot cakes!

I guess you've never heard of IHOP. It's America's #1 choice for designer hot cakes and being stabbed to death in a parking lot.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
Ganoncrotch said:

I guess you've never heard of IHOP. It's America's #1 choice for designer hot cakes and being stabbed to death in a parking lot.

Ironically as a T1 Diabetic I get stabbed in the stomach each time I eat cake.... by myself.... then my feet fall off.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
COKTOE said:

Ironically as a T1 Diabetic I get stabbed in the stomach each time I eat cake.... by myself.... then my feet fall off.

I have a new friend IRL who has it too. Haven't talked to him too much about it though. Looking it up I see it even effects boozing. :( You enjoy those games you sweet, sweet man. You deserve it.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

To my tech friends, could Nintendo not release an ehanced dock that would enhance the console further in about a year and then release a new tablet that is stronger in every way? Then just rotate those two things from now until x amount of generations from now? (I doubt the dock could enhance it that much) I mean this could be a great way to release further Generations that are competitive for a much smaller price.

A dock for enhanced processing power seems impossible, at least in the current state of switch(and still very difficult for any possible revision of switch). 

If rendering is all made in the tablet, there is no point; if is on dock, it won't be able to 'switch' ; if is shared, well would be awful because the bandwidth of usb-c is too slow. 

The only solution is if the dock has its own power to upscale the post rendered received image. The DLSS solution of new rtx boards of Nvidia seems to be a good solution for that that really seems as a high resolution rendered image. 

But I don't believe that they will use on switch that early. Maybe on switch 2.

I would expect a $100 cut to come in 2021 or early 2022. I also expect a beefier version to be on the market by then as well.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Oh damn I was totally expecting them to announce this months in advance or even before E3. Lol wtf do people expect them to shoot themselves in the foot?

Nintendo has always said they start working on the next console soon after launching a console. They are no doubt well into that process, though it is plenty of years away so of course they aren't going to say they are working on a successor, no one is thinking about a successor to Switch anytime in the next few years.

And of course they aren't going to announce a price cut months before it hits, they'd lose money that way from people putting off their purchase until the price cut. I have little doubt a price cut will happen this year. As we know it is likely a new version is coming out this year and I'm sure they will drop the price of the original when that happens.