By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo president says a Switch successor/price cut not currently being considered

For some reason, I believe this.

Maybe bundles this year but for some reason I do not see a price drop or a new model this year.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network
Yerm said:
outright admitting that they arent working on new hardware is a bad sign. it takes years to develop a console, and the PS5 and next Xbox could very well launch next year. if that happens, game devs arent going to care about the bottom line, the Switch is going to be left in the dust.

He didn't say that they aren't working on new hardware, only that the current Switch doesn't get replaced by a successor in the near future.

New hardware can (and probably will) happen in form of additional members of the Switch family which aren't replacing the hybrid console (f.e. a "Switch lite" handheld and a "Switch Home" TV console without battery/display) playing the same games.

When Nintendo gets asked about a sucessor to X console, the usual response is "we are always developing new HW, etc., etc."... and this is when they are asked about this stuff.
Saying something like this, out of the blue, is not a good sign. Not a good sign indeed.
This was a message for someone, be it constumers or shareholders.

Developing new HW takes years. How is it possible that they aren't already focusing on a successor? For 3DS, i'd get it. For Switch? It just doesn't make sense.

Of course! Switch is selling loads. There is no need for a price cut. Price cuts are used to re stimulate interest; if Switch is still poppin then why would they need to cut the price?

Yerm said:
outright admitting that they arent working on new hardware is a bad sign. it takes years to develop a console, and the PS5 and next Xbox could very well launch next year. if that happens, game devs arent going to care about the bottom line, the Switch is going to be left in the dust.

PS5 and Nextbox won't be getting released until October 2020 at the earliest. By then Switch will be almost 4 years old. And it'll have a better library than either one of the new systems. Add in a hardware revision and/or price cut to $200. Switch would slaughter those other two systems in sales. 

Around the Network

Furukawa: It is an extremely ambitious, but worthwhile achievement. So, we will maintain this goal. Nintendo Switch is our primary sales objective, and we are not considering a successor or a price cut at this time.

IMO he is talking about the current primary objectives as it relates to selling the Switch. Also to prevent consumers to do the same rather than considering their future plans. Even if he did blurt it unprovoked, it would make sense for Nintendo to want to do this. They behaved similarly in the previous eras after they felt the early N64 news hurt SNES sales potential.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

A price cut would be a bad business move at this point. The people are still buying it in droves. Wait and drop the price when the sales slow and you can earn more money. Your early adopters will not feel cheated and you will make more profit that can go back into the business.

As for a successor, they are probably witholding info, but lets have fun.

To my tech friends, could Nintendo not release an ehanced dock that would enhance the console further in about a year and then release a new tablet that is stronger in every way? Then just rotate those two things from now until x amount of generations from now? (I doubt the dock could enhance it that much) I mean this could be a great way to release further Generations that are competitive for a much smaller price.

I smell translation and contextualization errors.

Yerm said:

I seem to remember that Sony said something aimilar when asked about the PS5 even 3 years into its life.  This is common, there is nothing to see here.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Dulfite said:
I smell translation and contextualization errors.

Agreed. Things carry different meanings from culture to culture. 

Also, this is in regards to priorities and objectives on the topic of a fiscal year that closes in about 2 months. The 2020 year doesn't necessarily apply.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.