By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo president says a Switch successor/price cut not currently being considered

Yerm said:
outright admitting that they arent working on new hardware is a bad sign. it takes years to develop a console, and the PS5 and next Xbox could very well launch next year. if that happens, game devs arent going to care about the bottom line, the Switch is going to be left in the dust.

Outright admitting they would be working on new hardware would be bad, as then everybody would wait for the new hardware and not buy the current one anymore. Especially since Nintendo consoles are known for several revisions, and thus a successor might have been misinterpreted as a Switch upgrade to come out soon.

Both Microsoft and Sony admitted, but also basically said not before 2020. So at the time they did, that was still 3 years in the future, with the One X not even being released yet. That would have been too long of a wait and thus didn't impact sales

Around the Network

He seems to blurt out a lot of fishy and mildly alarming comments unprovoked. I think he is a bit green in the PR department and could use some minor coaching. Still, of course they aren't considering it at this time. They wouldn't dare reveal any price cuts before they were official and there are Switch revisions first before there will be a successor. Switch could go quite far before a successor would need to be considered. This doesn't mean they are not looking into tech advancements and possibilities for future decisions.

Last edited by zygote - on 25 January 2019

I mean hardly they would said we planning price cut even if they planning one in near future.
Talking about successor, they said that they want Switch to have longer life span than usual 5-6 years, and successor will probably be again Switch (2), so they probably working on Switch revision/s currently instead of successor.

For some reason, I believe this.

Maybe bundles this year but for some reason I do not see a price drop or a new model this year.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Yerm said:
outright admitting that they arent working on new hardware is a bad sign. it takes years to develop a console, and the PS5 and next Xbox could very well launch next year. if that happens, game devs arent going to care about the bottom line, the Switch is going to be left in the dust.

He didn't say that they aren't working on new hardware, only that the current Switch doesn't get replaced by a successor in the near future.

New hardware can (and probably will) happen in form of additional members of the Switch family which aren't replacing the hybrid console (f.e. a "Switch lite" handheld and a "Switch Home" TV console without battery/display) playing the same games.

Around the Network

When Nintendo gets asked about a sucessor to X console, the usual response is "we are always developing new HW, etc., etc."... and this is when they are asked about this stuff.
Saying something like this, out of the blue, is not a good sign. Not a good sign indeed.
This was a message for someone, be it constumers or shareholders.

Developing new HW takes years. How is it possible that they aren't already focusing on a successor? For 3DS, i'd get it. For Switch? It just doesn't make sense.

What's interesting about that answer? Is it now a surprise that someone states the obvious?

Perhaps he said no successor because so many people have trouble to recognize that Switch is the same generation as PS5 and Nextbox, and therefore expect Nintendo to prepare a new console to launch alongside the PS5 and Nextbox.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Of course! Switch is selling loads. There is no need for a price cut. Price cuts are used to re stimulate interest; if Switch is still poppin then why would they need to cut the price?

Yerm said:

PS5 and Nextbox won't be getting released until October 2020 at the earliest. By then Switch will be almost 4 years old. And it'll have a better library than either one of the new systems. Add in a hardware revision and/or price cut to $200. Switch would slaughter those other two systems in sales. 

Furukawa: It is an extremely ambitious, but worthwhile achievement. So, we will maintain this goal. Nintendo Switch is our primary sales objective, and we are not considering a successor or a price cut at this time.

IMO he is talking about the current primary objectives as it relates to selling the Switch. Also to prevent consumers to do the same rather than considering their future plans. Even if he did blurt it unprovoked, it would make sense for Nintendo to want to do this. They behaved similarly in the previous eras after they felt the early N64 news hurt SNES sales potential.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.