By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Circumcision - Yes or No?

omarct said:

What is the foreskin?

Boys are born with a foreskin. This is a fold of skin that covers and protects the rounded tip of the penis. The foreskin provides sensation and lubricates the penis.

Some families choose to circumcise boys. This means that the foreskin is removed by surgery. Other families keep a boy's penis in its natural state.

A baby's foreskin can't be pulled back (retracted) over the head of the penis. But over the first few years of life, the foreskin gradually pulls back more easily. By the time a boy is 5 years old, his foreskin usually can be pulled all the way back. Some boys' foreskins cannot be pulled all the way back until they are 10 to 17 years old.

How do you care for an uncircumcised penis?

Until it can be pulled back, wash only the outside of the penis. Don't try to force the foreskin back. When the foreskin can be pulled back, the area needs to be cleaned every day.

Infants and young boys

• A baby's foreskin does not pull back easily for about 6 months. Don't force it. Until you can pull the foreskin back, use warm water to wash the outside of the penis only. Pulling your son's foreskin back too early can damage it and cause scar tissue to form.
  • When you're able to pull the foreskin back, do so gently. Only pull it as far as it will go. Carefully wash the whole area with warm water. After washing, return the foreskin to its normal position.
  • Teach your child how to pull back the foreskin and wash his penis. A boy as young as 3 can be taught to do this.
  • If your son's foreskin can't be pulled all the way back by the time he reaches puberty, call your doctor or nurse call line for advice.
  • If you can't return the foreskin to its normal position, call your doctor or nurse call line right away.

Older boys and adults

• Wash under the foreskin as noted above.
  • Always put the foreskin back to its normal position if it has been pulled back. This may happen during sex. Or you may pull it back before sex, before you urinate, or while you clean it.
  • Be sure the foreskin is in its normal position after any doctor examination or procedure. For example, the foreskin may be pulled back to use a catheter.
  • If you can't return your foreskin to its normal position, call your doctor or nurse call line right away.

Why does there exist a manual for this?

The human species has been fine for a couple hundred thousand years before the internet. Having penises isn’t something new. The sillyness of the modern age never ceases to amaze me.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
VAMatt said:

This is about where I come down as well (I'm also American).  American chicks, as I understand it, tend to think uncircumcised penises are weird.  I don't want my son to have to deal with that.

On the hand, it is cosmetic surgery without the patient's consent.  That seems morally wrong to me.  So, I'm pretty sure we aren't gonna do it.

Yer but isn't it becoming less common now? By the time your son is an adult a circumcised dick may be the weird thing.

Yes.  But, the people in his age group are being born now.  So, those circumcision decisions are (mostly) being made now.

Just to let everyone in on something - while only 60%  of kids born in the US are being circumsized now, the rate among Americans born to American parents is very high.  I don't have an  official number, but I'm thinking 95% or so.  When talking to friends and family about this matter, nearly everyone was clearly defaulting to "yes, circumsize".  In fact, many of our friends looked at us like we're crazy for even considering leaving him uncircumcised.  It's basically only my libertarian activist friends that seem to even have considered not circumsizing.  

Wifey and I have pretty much decided not to have him circumsized.  As I said before, it mostly comes down to consent, at least in my mind.  But, it is a fact that this decision will leave our son with an abnormal penis, relative to people around him.  We don't have to like or approve of the tradition of circumcision here.  But, that doesn't change the fact that it is the standard.   Then again, somebody has to stop accepting stupid traditions, if they're ever going to change......

most areas of country its still the majority and women dont like the looks of uncut they say they are ugly and smelly

acer67 said:
most areas of country its still the majority and women dont like the looks of uncut they say they are ugly and smelly

Try giving oral to a female who hasnt bathed all day, see how it goes. As for ugly, that is subjective, I personally prefer the uncut look.

Male circumcision was popularized in the US in large part in an effort to reduce male sexual pleasure and curb masturbation. It is a relic and symptom of our Puritan heritage.

Around the Network

I think no. Just about every guy in my family (me, my siblings and dad) was circumcised. But I see almost no benefits to it. If I ever have a son, I'm probably not going to have him circumcised.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

VAMatt said:
Cobretti2 said:

Yer but isn't it becoming less common now? By the time your son is an adult a circumcised dick may be the weird thing.

Yes.  But, the people in his age group are being born now.  So, those circumcision decisions are (mostly) being made now.

Just to let everyone in on something - while only 60%  of kids born in the US are being circumsized now, the rate among Americans born to American parents is very high.  I don't have an  official number, but I'm thinking 95% or so.  When talking to friends and family about this matter, nearly everyone was clearly defaulting to "yes, circumsize".  In fact, many of our friends looked at us like we're crazy for even considering leaving him uncircumcised.  It's basically only my libertarian activist friends that seem to even have considered not circumsizing.  

Wifey and I have pretty much decided not to have him circumsized.  As I said before, it mostly comes down to consent, at least in my mind.  But, it is a fact that this decision will leave our son with an abnormal penis, relative to people around him.  We don't have to like or approve of the tradition of circumcision here.  But, that doesn't change the fact that it is the standard.   Then again, somebody has to stop accepting stupid traditions, if they're ever going to change......

I am so relieved reading that,if your son at an older age would feel the need the to be wanting that he can decide for himself.

acer67 said:

I am not going to claim this chart is real, but this is apparently a chart from 2009 of circumcision in the US region by region(not state by state like i said earlier)

Last edited by melbye - on 27 January 2019

Yes. Cutting your dick is the new norm.

melbye said:
acer67 said:

I am not going to claim this chart is real, but this is apparently a chart from 2009 of circumcision in the US state by state

What the fuck are they doing in the west?  They aren't cutting their dicks right!