By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Now: The Netflix Of Gaming Coming To More Regions Of Europe

Intrinsic said: 
Azzanation said:

So available in 4 regions? Okay.. but Netflix?

OK.... I am just gonna say it, you are biased. 

Sure... even after i said ill be a customer to the service if its ever available to me haha. What ever think.

Intrinsic said:

I am not a fan of hyperbole and I think its too early to claim PSnow is anything......

But, right now...... PSnow IS the netflix of gaming. In the very same way netflix started off smaller than it is now and slowly spread int multiple territories. Like Playstation' netflix only had a service at some point and as they grew the infrastructure came too.

PSNow is like netflix in its early years and right now its the best and widest reaching game streaming service on the market. And thats just the truth. MS could start their own service and become the gold standard of game streaming.... but that service doest exist yet. PSNow does.

Haha ok than, PSNow is the Netflix in Gaming in your eyes, its funny i never heard this before until MS announced they want to be the Netflix of gaming. In fact i Remember many saying PSNow was crap, something Netflix never had bad reputation of.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

Haha ok than, PSNow is the Netflix in Gaming in your eyes, its funny i never heard this before until MS announced they want to be the Netflix of gaming. In fact i Remember many saying PSNow was crap, something Netflix never had bad reputation of.

And I am sure you never heard those that said PSnow is good.

But it being good or not is not the issue here.

We arent all sheep. It doesn't matter what you "heard" or who said it.... try and use your own head and think for yourself.

What MS meant by likening gamepass to the netflix of gaming is with regards t a business model not a brand. They are talking abut you paying a monthly service fee that allows you access to digital library of games that you can then go onto stream on any number of devices. And all you will need is an app. Just like what netflix does for movies.

Now regardless of what you want to believe or not, or how good you think it is or isn't. Sony has been doing EXACTLY that with PSnow since 2014. A good solid 3 years before MS started GamePass. Sony is also in more territories and has a larger library of games. I don't know anything about netflix of gaming... which sounds more to me like pure PR bullshit attention grabbing speak anyways: but if anyone as f this time can make that claim of the two of them.... its not MS.

And you wonder why I say you are biased.

MS may very well go n to do a much better job at game streaming than sony..... but as at right now, sony isn't just ahead of them and better and has achieved a larger market penetration..... they had been ding what you and MS seem t have just discovered recently. 

Lets call a spade a spade.

Intrinsic said:
And people talk about MS like they are inventing sony has been doing for the past 4 years or so.

Nobody is acting like MS invented it nor should we act like Sony did.

If anything, MS's service seems to have more potential if they're going to launch new games on it, make it work on phones, etc.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Lafiel said:
Netflix afaik is still losing money with 130m subscribers and needs 190m .. Sony/MS/whoever tries a similar model probably needs to run profitable with a faaar smaller subscriber count, as gaming is certainly more niche than watching shows/movies.

I read Netflix spent like 12 billion producing content just last year. To the contrary, MS boasted in 2013 when they were going to invest a single billion in games. See the spending difference there?

More importantly, the Xbox and PlayStation brand aren't relying on just subscription services alone. That's simply part of their revenue, most of their profits on software is from sales.

However, if these Netflix style subscription service like Gamepass and PS Now do have a few million subscribers, that may actually help fund new games. People assumed Xbox software sales would tank if Gamepass gave people access to new games, but that didn't happen. So Gamepass is actually generating more revenue than sales alone.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Intrinsic said:

We arent all sheep. It doesn't matter what you "heard" or who said it.... try and use your own head and think for yourself.

What MS meant by likening gamepass to the netflix of gaming is with regards t a business model not a brand. They are talking abut you paying a monthly service fee that allows you access to digital library of games that you can then go onto stream on any number of devices. And all you will need is an app. Just like what netflix does for movies.

Now regardless of what you want to believe or not, or how good you think it is or isn't. Sony has been doing EXACTLY that with PSnow since 2014. A good solid 3 years before MS started GamePass. Sony is also in more territories and has a larger library of games. I don't know anything about netflix of gaming... which sounds more to me like pure PR bullshit attention grabbing speak anyways: but if anyone as f this time can make that claim of the two of them.... its not MS.

MS may very well go n to do a much better job at game streaming than sony..... but as at right now, sony isn't just ahead of them and better and has achieved a larger market penetration..... they had been ding what you and MS seem t have just discovered recently. 

Your problem is you are basing this on "Who's doing it first" rather than who's actually going to do it right.

But just for giggles, What do you think MS were doing with the original intentions of the X1. All Digital console, always online, DRM, Game sharing etc. Don't feed me this BS that Sony thought of this first, its been in the mindsets of MS and many other brands for many years before Sony started PSNow. Did you choose to ignore MS's slogan of "The Power of the Cloud" I heard that back before this gen even started. Sony brought Gaikai for $380m awhile back, and Sony are able to get into Streaming earlier due to there smaller network in Gaikai.

You can say I am bias, good for you. I am looking at the companies as a whole. MS has been building a world wide Cloud Streaming service for many years that has cost MS over $30billion (Half of what Sony is worth) just in Azure Cloud. That isn't something they planned overnight.. that's something they were doing before this generation even started. 

Sony's PSNow is doing okay, and the profits are looking great for Sony, good on them, BUT Netflix of Gaming? Well I might agree with you if I can actually gain access to it, something iv been waiting years for and there's no sign this is coming any time soon either. But as it stands right now, its a average Streaming service with limited accessibilities but is definitely playable.

Why I agree with MS and there claims is based on there services and network, it actually makes sense when you look into there history through out the years. That's been there plan all along and they have a network that can take the world by storm if done right, not some of the world which is what PSNow is doing. 

Around the Network
Replicant said:
Azzanation said:

So available in 4 regions? Okay.. but Netflix?

In the thread about Microsoft wanting xCloud to be the Netflix for gaming, your response was: "No surprise here. When a mega corp like MS aim for it, I wont be suprised they will get it."

But in this thread about PS Now (you know the streaming service that has actually launched and is now expanding to include 20 countries in total), your response is: "So available in 4 regions? Okay.. but Netflix?"

I know you like your Xbox but c'mon.

Not only that, but how do you as a hardcore gamer who spends a lot of time on a video game forum entirely about video game news, not know that Playstation Now is available outside of Europe? I mean, what????? I don't even use the service and I know just from having a PS4 that it's available in the U.S., they advertise it all the time! LMAO! 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Replicant said:

In the thread about Microsoft wanting xCloud to be the Netflix for gaming, your response was: "No surprise here. When a mega corp like MS aim for it, I wont be suprised they will get it."

But in this thread about PS Now (you know the streaming service that has actually launched and is now expanding to include 20 countries in total), your response is: "So available in 4 regions? Okay.. but Netflix?"

I know you like your Xbox but c'mon.

Not only that, but how do you as a hardcore gamer who spends a lot of time on a video game forum entirely about video game news, not know that Playstation Now is available outside of Europe? I mean, what????? I don't even use the service and I know just from having a PS4 that it's available in the U.S., they advertise it all the time! LMAO! 

Yeah big doo doo there. Ps now is in regions all over the world and is expending every year. I hope Sony accelerate the improvement at an even faster rate before next gen. 

Azzanation said:

Your problem is you are basing this on "Who's doing it first" rather than who's actually going to do it right.

But just for giggles, What do you think MS were doing with the original intentions of the X1. All Digital console, always online, DRM, Game sharing etc. Don't feed me this BS that Sony thought of this first, its been in the mindsets of MS and many other brands for many years before Sony started PSNow. Did you choose to ignore MS's slogan of "The Power of the Cloud" I heard that back before this gen even started. Sony brought Gaikai for $380m awhile back, and Sony are able to get into Streaming earlier due to there smaller network in Gaikai.

You can say I am bias, good for you. I am looking at the companies as a whole. MS has been building a world wide Cloud Streaming service for many years that has cost MS over $30billion (Half of what Sony is worth) just in Azure Cloud. That isn't something they planned overnight.. that's something they were doing before this generation even started. 

Sony's PSNow is doing okay, and the profits are looking great for Sony, good on them, BUT Netflix of Gaming? Well I might agree with you if I can actually gain access to it, something iv been waiting years for and there's no sign this is coming any time soon either. But as it stands right now, its a average Streaming service with limited accessibilities but is definitely playable.

Why I agree with MS and there claims is based on there services and network, it actually makes sense when you look into there history through out the years. That's been there plan all along and they have a network that can take the world by storm if done right, not some of the world which is what PSNow is doing. 

And your problem is that you are basing this all off on "potential" as opposed to actual action.

I never said sony did it first, hell sony bought gaikai who were doing this and basically used that as the basis of their streaming backbone (PSVue, PSshare and PSnow). 

Now I never also said that MS may not end up doing it better, but right now that is not the case. PSnow is simply a more mature version right now of the very service MS is pushing with gamepass. And that has more to do with sony having done this very specific thing for longer than MS.

If we are looking purely at potential, playstation shouldn't even exist as long as MS is in gaming. MS simply has more money and resources and a far better grip on software than sony will ever have. Android shouldn't exist because MS was making mobile OSs long before android became a thing.... and neither should iOS. 

I don't know what it is or why, but for all their knowhow, talk, promises and potential MS has historically and repeatedly come late to the party on every single tech innovation over the last 20yrs. Hell even nvidia started a streaming service before MS got in on it too. At one point MS didnt even consider gaming as somethin they should even pursue..... I mean just look no further than steam. That is the single biggest slap to the face of MS that there is and something that should make you think twice at lookin at MS (of all companies) when it comes to potential.

So feel free to make whatever connections you want on how much potential and resources MS has t make a  go of it. I on the other hand will believe more on what I can see right now.

And the fact of the matter is this, how ever bad you think PSnow is because of the regions they are in or the quality of their service....... right now Gamepass is worse.  I honestly cant even believe you are having a debate with me over something that can be vs something that already is. Like there is so much more to this tha wht you seem to be focused n.

I mean lets look at market penetration. If streaming based gaming is to become a major thing (and I dont think it will) and both sony and MS are offerin an identical service with identical third party support and their own influx of exclusive software, who do you think will do better globally? Or let me be more specific, who do you think will do better in EU and Japan?

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 25 January 2019

Azzanation said:

Intrinsic said:

You assume MS will be able to launch worldwide simultaneously even with a much smaller console base throughout the world? MS couldn't even launch the Xbox One worldwide. They had that ridiculous staggered launch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Maybe because I am too busy playing video games and I don't chase these types of information. But nice to know you know this info. Maybe you can message me later when its available in my region. 

And sorry to disappoint you, I don't spend a lot of my time on these forums. Seems you are though. 

Signalstar said:

You assume MS will be able to launch worldwide simultaneously even with a much smaller console base throughout the world? MS couldn't even launch the Xbox One worldwide. They had that ridiculous staggered launch.

Difference here is Xbox division couldn't launch Xbox One world wide, xCloud / Azure is part of the mother company and the infrastructure exists world wide. Its all a matter of time when MS want to flick the switch. I heard there waiting for 5G to be a thing first. But will wait and see. I have more faith in a multi billion dollar network than a $300m network that is limited to countries at this current stage.