By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's the problem with Game Freak nowadays?

What's the problem with Game Freak nowadays?

They are becoming too com... 10 21.74%

They don't have the manpo... 4 8.70%

They suffering a major lack of vision. 9 19.57%

Pokemon Go changed the fo... 4 8.70%

The power jump was honest... 5 10.87%

There's nothing wrong wit... 14 30.43%

Total:46
Flilix said:

Pokémon has never been like AC or COD though. There are a lot of remakes and third versions in the franchise, which I assume take significantly less time to make (especially the 3rd versions). They have only made 7 main games, in 20 years time.

Doesn't matter, from a development perspective their remakes aren't duplicates of the original game so they're practically creating the game from the ground up again just as they would for the original entries ... 

Whether it is remakes or 3rd versions, these things will now need two year development cycles to meet an annualized release schedule since their dealing with standards similar 7th gen home consoles and it's only going to get slower from here on out ... 

Around the Network
MasonADC said:

Cerebralbore101 said:
I haven't played Sun/Moon but X/Y had just as many features as Black/White if not more. They streamlined breeding, and EV training. They added in Mega forms to shake up the meta. They stopped adding 150 poorly thought out Poke'mon and instead focused on giving us about 70 well thought out additions. They made the jump from 2D to 3D.

Now, I agree with OP that the main story mode has gotten more linear. And I agree that it is a problem.

There’s no poorly thought out Pokémon in BW

Trubbish, Garbidor, Gothita, Gothorita, Gothitelle, Lilliepup, Herdier, Stoutland, Ducklett, Swanna, Foongus, Amoongus,  Alomomola, Boufalant, Stunfisk, Pidove, Tranquil, Unfeasant.

Not to mention they went completely overboard with the legendaries. There's like 12 of them in Black/White. 

Don't get me wrong though, Black/White was an awesome game with some very strong designs. It just also happened to have quite a bit of filler pokemon sitting aside the well designed ones. 

I liked X/Y for giving us 71 new Poke'mon and 30 new megas. Do I think there are some bad designs in X/Y? For sure. But there aren't as numerous as previous games in the series. 

I didn't pick an option but I think it's mainly that Nintendo are pushing them to put out a new Pokemon game for Switch too quickly after Let's Go and it's likely pushing them to their limits. I remember reading in an interview, I think was at Eurogamer that their entire development team is on one floor of a building. They do use Creatures for massive amount of development and Nintendo.
Maybe they need to expand their team but maybe not. Back in this interview before Ultra Sun and Moon came out they said htey have two main teams. One working on Ultra Sun and Moon and another on a game that they weren't talking bout and obviously was the Let's Go games. So they probably have the two dev teams working on Town and the new Pokemon for Switch. So they should be able to do this but I guess we'll wait and see if delays happen.

I don't understand Game Freak lately. Their Pokemon games on the 3DS were nowhere near visually impressive, and were filled with performance issues regardless of whether or not you used the 3D effect (if it was even in the game). They keep releasing side projects, which is fine and dandy if you have a excess of staff, but they don't. It makes even less sense when their main franchise brings in more than enough profit to pay for an excess of staff that could work on side projects and help polish their Pokemon games.

I'm still looking forward to the Pokemon 2019 game, and I did enjoy Let's Go for what it was, but I'm starting to worry if there is some kind of structural/leadership issue that's holding the developer back.

theDX said:
Option 2. It was interesting to read comments on Town after its reveal, lots of inflated expectations that calmed down later. The reality was that it's small in scale and an eShop exclusive. Which shows how short on staff Game Freak is when they can't work on anything bigger than that and Pokemon at the same time.

Where does it confirmed that Town is an eshop exclusive?

Raven said:
I don't understand Game Freak lately. Their Pokemon games on the 3DS were nowhere near visually impressive, and were filled with performance issues regardless of whether or not you used the 3D effect (if it was even in the game). They keep releasing side projects, which is fine and dandy if you have a excess of staff, but they don't. It makes even less sense when their main franchise brings in more than enough profit to pay for an excess of staff that could work on side projects and help polish their Pokemon games.

I'm still looking forward to the Pokemon 2019 game, and I did enjoy Let's Go for what it was, but I'm starting to worry if there is some kind of structural/leadership issue that's holding the developer back.

They have about 143 employees and have posted job openings for their upcoming projects. Plus, you also have about 110 employees from Creatures, Inc. (although they've only helped out in only one pair of the main series games, X and Y, as they've done mostly spin-offs). It's not bad, considering Zelda: Breath of the Wild took about 300 people to complete the game within about 5 years and about 200+ staff for Mario Odyssey in about 4 years. 

http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/company/about.html

https://www.creatures.co.jp/company/

And it probably boils down to do they really want to expand to about 200-300 people or more? Higher number of staff does not necessarily mean bigger and better projects. I mean, Nintendo themselves have an employee count of almost 6000 and they still had some contractors to help with Breath of the Wild's development (along with Monolith Soft helping out as well) that, as I said, was completed by about 300 people.  And even then, some here and other forums believe Nintendo still needs to have more staff on board.

Hell, Monolith Soft completed the Xenoblade games and they currently have an employee count of 184, and they had to share some of the staff who helped out with Breath of the Wild while Xenoblade 2 was in development. Of course, they build a new building but that's probably because they wanted to. Game Freak can create games like Xenoblade with the staffing they have as Monolith Soft did. It just all depends on how they want to go forward with their games, especially now HD development is a thing. Pokemon Let's Go, more or less, is considered a test game for Game Freak as their first HD Pokemon mainline title (regardless of how many times we have to debate this). 

Around the Network
Soren0079 said:
I didn't pick an option but I think it's mainly that Nintendo are pushing them to put out a new Pokemon game for Switch too quickly after Let's Go and it's likely pushing them to their limits. I remember reading in an interview, I think was at Eurogamer that their entire development team is on one floor of a building. They do use Creatures for massive amount of development and Nintendo.
Maybe they need to expand their team but maybe not. Back in this interview before Ultra Sun and Moon came out they said htey have two main teams. One working on Ultra Sun and Moon and another on a game that they weren't talking bout and obviously was the Let's Go games. So they probably have the two dev teams working on Town and the new Pokemon for Switch. So they should be able to do this but I guess we'll wait and see if delays happen.

Not true. The Ultra Moon team are behind Lets GO, while the Sun/Moon team is working on the 2019. IIRC the 2019 game development started before Lets Go did, and also before Sun/Moon even released. 

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
Soren0079 said:

Not true. The Ultra Moon team are behind Lets GO, while the Sun/Moon team is working on the 2019. IIRC the 2019 game development started before Lets Go did, and also before Sun/Moon even released. 

Ah righto, well still means that both teams are working on new games, I wonder if they'll manage to get both Town and Pokemon out in 2019. That might be a tall order.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/454410/GIGA_WRECKER/
Came out in 2017 Exclusively for PC.

It's also a 2D game, that doesn't look like it cost a medium to large studio much to put out.
If putting out smaller more experimental titles keeps their workers happy, and creative, then perhaps it's worth it overall.
Personally I see little use in corporations wringing their staff dry of all their creative talent so that they can squeeze sequel after sequel out.

Last edited by caffeinade - on 19 January 2019

GameFreak is trying to diversify and get on to other platforms that are non-Nintendo, but it doesn't work so they'll be stuck with Pokemon. As long as it sells, they have less incentive to take the next big step forward

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

My biggest issues with Pokémon:

1. Games are too cloney between one another. I started with White and then played White 2 and Y... and each time I played I felt less enthusiastic and more bored with the experience.
2. The content updates is not very interesting in the later games. There are already tons of Pokémon, perhaps far too many, there’s no need to bring about 400 more when most people only care about the original 150. Instead focus resources on features and worldbuilding, or updating older Pokémon in some way - and make the new game have only 5-15 much more inspired Pokémon.

I’m more of a casual as I actually did enjoy Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu a lot more than any of the other games I played.

I disagree with the original post. I don’t want yet another Poke-clone with even more unrecognizeable Pokemon, I want something big and beautiful - even if it irks the stubborn fans who pretend like they’re “the important ones” when they’re not any more important or special than any one else buying the game.

Make something fresh, a game that explores new untapped depths. A big experience, and one that feels monumental. Make it the Mario Galaxy, the Breath of the Wild, the Fire Emblem Awakening of Pokemon. The devs should be brave, and not hold themselves back because they fear they’ll irk the stubborn fans - because success means bringing the franchise to higher heights than any game in the franchise has before done.

For old stubborn fans, if the old games are so good, no one is stopping you from playing them.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.