By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's the problem with Game Freak nowadays?

What's the problem with Game Freak nowadays?

They are becoming too com... 10 21.74%

They don't have the manpo... 4 8.70%

They suffering a major lack of vision. 9 19.57%

Pokemon Go changed the fo... 4 8.70%

The power jump was honest... 5 10.87%

There's nothing wrong wit... 14 30.43%

Total:46

I haven't played Sun/Moon but X/Y had just as many features as Black/White if not more. They streamlined breeding, and EV training. They added in Mega forms to shake up the meta. They stopped adding 150 poorly thought out Poke'mon and instead focused on giving us about 70 well thought out additions. They made the jump from 2D to 3D.

Now, I agree with OP that the main story mode has gotten more linear. And I agree that it is a problem.

Around the Network

They obviously need multiple teams to keep Pokemon as an annualized franchise just like Ubisoft with the AC series and Activision with the COD series but as another pointed out, Giga Wrecker Alt is just a port from PC so I doubt it a whole lot of man power ...

mZuzek said:

Fixed.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

mZuzek said:
flashfire926 said:

Fixed.

Masuda is definitely guilty of being too unambitious, and it showed during the 2002-2013 era, but at least his vision doesn't outright suck.

That's not fair. There's nothing wrong with being short-sided. Some people just need glasses. What's wrong with that?

Cerebralbore101 said:
I haven't played Sun/Moon but X/Y had just as many features as Black/White if not more. They streamlined breeding, and EV training. They added in Mega forms to shake up the meta. They stopped adding 150 poorly thought out Poke'mon and instead focused on giving us about 70 well thought out additions. They made the jump from 2D to 3D.

Now, I agree with OP that the main story mode has gotten more linear. And I agree that it is a problem.

There’s no poorly thought out Pokémon in BW

Around the Network

The problem with Game Freak is that they think the players don't like challenge things like puzzles or non-linear maps. In their minds, if you find yourself in a little more hard situation you will throw your Pokémon cartridge away and gonna do something else. That's why they didn't remade the Battle Frontier em ORAS. They are making the games for two kinds of people: the kids of today that can't stand playing a game for too long, and the people who doesn't care about their in-game experiences and are there just to finish it as fast as possible so they can do what they really want: participate in pokémon battles (official tournment or not). They are also trying to be more cinematc, as they are putting more and more cutscenes in the game. And they are overexaggerating in the lore of the games. At first, the mega-evolution~two kind of universe thing presented in Delta Episode was promising but now they stuffed the games with the idea of warp holes, new universes... every game should now expand that concept making the new games feel more and more chained and enslaved to these ideas

mZuzek said:
MasonADC said:

There’s no poorly thought out Pokémon in BW

Precious to our world 

fatslob-:O said:
They obviously need multiple teams to keep Pokemon as an annualized franchise just like Ubisoft with the AC series and Activision with the COD series but as another pointed out, Giga Wrecker Alt is just a port from PC so I doubt it a whole lot of man power ...

Pokémon has never been like AC or COD though. There are a lot of remakes and third versions in the franchise, which I assume take significantly less time to make (especially the 3rd versions). They have only made 7 main games, in 20 years time.

mZuzek said:
Flilix said:

Pokémon has never been like AC or COD though. There are a lot of remakes and third versions in the franchise, which I assume take significantly less time to make (especially the 3rd versions). They have only made 7 main games, in 20 years time.

Eh, B2/W2 is its own game I'd say. 8 main games.

That's always made me curious - I feel like I've seen a lot of debate over whether B2/W2 are their own games, or rather more "ambiguity" than debate. 

What did it add and why does that seem to be not always acknowledged? 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
mZuzek said:

Eh, B2/W2 is its own game I'd say. 8 main games.

That's always made me curious - I feel like I've seen a lot of debate over whether B2/W2 are their own games, or rather more "ambiguity" than debate. 

What did it add and why does that seem to be not always acknowledged? 

Black 2/White 2 is a direct sequel to BW, so it has a different story, plus it adds a tournament mode. Other than that, it's pretty much the same.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.