By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales Week 2 Media Create - January 07-13, 2019

Nice Switch sales, and solid numbers for NSMBUD. Fully deserved.

Around the Network

Lets where smash stabilizes at. Hopefully 20k-30k weekly for a lonnnnnnng time

Dengeki:

Switch - 89,993
NSMBUD - 178,512

Source: csheep from Era

Not a bad hold for Switch and Smash Bros had an expected drop. But damn what a run it had in December. Smash Bros. Ultimate is already in the Splatoon and Monster Hunter World tier for this generation in Japan. It really vindicates Nintendo for promoting Ultimate as their big title of the year despite some naysayers.

"It's a port of the Wii U game!"
"There're too many Smash Directs!"
"Smash Bros. isn't a system seller like Mario or Zelda or Pokemon"
"Why is Nintendo relying on Smash (and Pokemon Let's Go) to carry them through the holidays?"

Well there's your answer.

Kai_Mao said:
Not a bad hold for Switch and Smash Bros had an expected drop. But damn what a run it had in December. Smash Bros. Ultimate is already in the Splatoon and Monster Hunter World tier for this generation in Japan. It really vindicates Nintendo for promoting Ultimate as their big title of the year despite some naysayers.

"It's a port of the Wii U game!"
"There're too many Smash Directs!"
"Smash Bros. isn't a system seller like Mario or Zelda or Pokemon"
"Why is Nintendo relying on Smash (and Pokemon Let's Go) to carry them through the holidays?"

Well there's your answer.

People actually said Smash isn't a system seller?

In other news, the sky is rainbow and up is not up. :P

Around the Network

big drop for PKLG too... i dont think it can get 2M at retail but well... smash got good numbers after crazy weeks if it stays around 20 - 30k for some months could be great. For NSMBU I was expecting around 150 - 200k so I also think it will do similar life time sales as the original game (5 - 6 M)

Clank said:
big drop for PKLG too... i dont think it can get 2M at retail but well... smash got good numbers after crazy weeks if it stays around 20 - 30k for some months could be great. For NSMBU I was expecting around 150 - 200k so I also think it will do similar life time sales as the original game (5 - 6 M)

It had the same percentage as all of the other evergreens 

NSMB U Switch numbers opened higher than the Wii U version did, im kinda shocked tbh. I expected it to be lower

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

The top 20 is 75% Switch games. Switch hardware may not have passed the PS4's total yet, but I think it is obvious what system is actually getting played in Japan right now.

Smash dropped a bit heavier than I expected, but it's not too surprising with how far HW dropped. Vesperia did ok.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.