By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Nvidia Gets SALTY

Pemalite said: 
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Just to add in something I wasn't sure at that point, Vega 10 FP64 can only can reach 1/16th of FP32 while Vega 20 can do 1/2, so the chip must have changed quite a bit under the hood. Double Precision is also something that cost quite a lot of energy, hence why it got cut down  in modern GPUs both by AMD and NVidia. NVidia nowadays mostly uses 1/32th, and all RTX cards, including the Quadro, do so. The original Titan had 1/4, while the Volta-based Titan V has 1/2 like the Vega 20, making the latter the probable target if the FP64 capability of the Radeon VII hasn't been cut down.

Not really. Graphics Core Next is extremely modular remember, you can update part of a chip and leave the rest identical.
Besides... AMD has a Vega GPU with 1/2 FP64 on the market right now... Meaning that the design of Vega 7 isn't new anyway.

In short, Vega 7 is a simply a GPU ported to 7nm with a CU removed to increase yields... Doubling of DRAM and Bandwidth and a big increase in clockrates, it was minimal effort by AMD... And because of that, it's unlikely it will beat a Geforce 1080Ti.

Vega 10, of which Vega 64 and Vega 56 are based on, all have only 1/16 FP64 performance, including Radeon Pro, MI25 and Frontier Edition. Only Vega 20, which is the chip used in the MI50 and MI60 accelerator cards and most probably in the Radeon VII, has that 1/2 FP64 performance.

In short, no, it's not a GPU ported to 7nm with 4 CU removed for yields, but instead a re-purposed professional card that already comes in 7nm. It's minimum effort in so far that that halved the RAM, not doubled it,  and basically kept the speed at the same level as the MI60. And no, 1080Ti doesn't seem to be unbeatable at all by this card.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 16 January 2019

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
vivster said:

Oh, you are mistaken, I never had any expectations. I'm just trying to say that calling an underwhelming product underwhelming isn't salty. Just reflecting the expectations and hopes of AMD fans everywhere to compete at the high end again.

Meh, didn't sound like it the first time around ... 

I don't think AMD will ever put out a big die anytime soon to compete at the highest end even if Nvidia with Turing is arguably at it's weakest point in time ... 

Not sure if I want to call Turing weak. It's weaker than it could be, sure, but it still handily beats everything else while at the same time introducing new and future oriented technology. In fact, I love that they're trying to start the RT revolution early. We might not be at a point where it can see widespread use or have hardware to properly support it but that's how new technology works. Compare it with the introduction of 4k and now 8k. It doesn't hurt to start things early when you know it will be inevitably be the standard in the future.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Pemalite said:
EricHiggin said:

With Polyphony showing off GT Sport using ray tracing, it's quite unlikely they were doing that just for fun, and even more unlikely it's distant future tech for PS6. AMD has mentioned recently they are working on ray tracing tech for their future products. If PS5 is going to use Navi, then at the very least, even if AMD isn't planning to use ray tracing tech until their "Next Gen" gpu products, they could very well be baking it into a semi custom Navi, just like how PS4 Pro used Polaris but had some Vega tech baked in.

Well. AMD's GPU's are capable of Ray Tracing today... Ray Tracing is typically a very compute and memory bound scenario... And what is Graphics Core Next great at? Compute... Hence why miners typically preferred them.

But, current hardware just doesn't have the horsepower to brute force it, hence nVidia's fixed-function approach, plus methods to reduce the processing load by reducing the work required.

It will be interesting to see what official path AMD takes to Ray Tracing though going forward, nVidia has applied the pressure that it's a must-have technology now.

As for the Playstation 4 Pro... It's not actually using Polaris as a base, it's using the same identical GPU found in the base Playstation 4, just doubled/mirrored. - It implemented features from both Polaris and Vega... But we need to keep in mind that the Playstation 4 also had changes away from the original Graphics Core Next design anyway. (Like an increase in ACE units.)

AMD designs it's GPU's in terms of "blocks". - And they can update, mix and match those blocks to suit their needs.

My own hopes is that next-gen will not be using Graphics Core Next, but AMD's next-gen architecture... But the realist in me says that both consoles will be Graphics Core Next based with features taken from Vega and Navi... And that to me isn't next-gen console hardware.

I wouldn't count that though because it's like saying consoles today are capable of 4k, they just don't have the hp to push it. Well then they aren't really 4k, so you bake in whatever is necessary to reach 4k as close and cheaply as possible.

Pro isn't true Polaris no, but it still makes the point that AMD can take upcoming tech and mold it into a present or even outdated design.

You would almost think with Nvidia pushing ray tracing this hard and making it clear that it's the next big thing in GPU tech, that when AMD announces a new architecture after this long with GCN, specifically called "Next Gen" (at the moment), and admitting they are focusing on ray tracing for their future products, that it would be a very strong indicator that it should be something designed around ray tracing, with efficiency taken more so into account as well.

If Navi is the last hoorah for GCN, and you've got next gen consoles around 2020 give or take, and Polyphony showing off GT Sport ray tracing on a SNY 8k display, it's hard not to think PS won't just use AMD's "Next Gen" arch. You would almost think the cost has to be more to try and create a hybrid out of Navi, so unless PS wants PS5 out late 2019 to early 2020, you have to wonder is it coming sooner than we think or are the Navi PS5 rumors incorrect possibly?

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Vega 10, of which Vega 64 and Vega 56 are based on, all have only 1/16 FP64 performance, including Radeon Pro, MI25 and Frontier Edition. Only Vega 20, which is the chip used in the MI50 and MI60 accelerator cards and most probably in the Radeon VII, has that 1/2 FP64 performance.

You aren't telling me anything new or arguing against any of my prior statements with this.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

In short, no, it's not a GPU ported to 7nm with 4 CU removed for yields, but instead a re-purposed professional card that already comes in 7nm. It's minimum effort in so far that that halved the RAM, not doubled it,  and basically kept the speed at the same level as the MI60. And no, 1080Ti doesn't seem to be unbeatable at all by this card.

False. It is a GPU ported to 7nm with 4CU removed, which increases yields. - Radeon Instinct MI60 is based on Vega remember... And that has the full compliment of 64 CU's.
The cutback "die harvested variant" has only 60CU's. Aka. The
Radeon Instinct MI50.

...And they are all based on Vega 64's technology which started life at 14nm. (And likely was tested at 28nm/20nm at some point during chip design.)

A Geforce 1080Ti has a likely chance to beat this card, remember... It sits around the same level as the Geforce 2080.

EricHiggin said:

I wouldn't count that though because it's like saying consoles today are capable of 4k, they just don't have the hp to push it. Well then they aren't really 4k, so you bake in whatever is necessary to reach 4k as close and cheaply as possible.

Well. The thing is... Graphics Core Next is capable.

The real problem is... Accuracy. With low enough accuracy GCN could smash Ray Tracing rather easily, but then that introduces artifacts... Which is something nVidia has actually managed to solve by using various denoising algorithms to great effect.

EricHiggin said:

You would almost think with Nvidia pushing ray tracing this hard and making it clear that it's the next big thing in GPU tech, that when AMD announces a new architecture after this long with GCN, specifically called "Next Gen" (at the moment), and admitting they are focusing on ray tracing for their future products, that it would be a very strong indicator that it should be something designed around ray tracing, with efficiency taken more so into account as well.

I am hoping that Next-Gen has Ray Tracing in AMD's sights, they are going to need it by that point... But hopefully they make it more accessible to even low-end parts.

EricHiggin said:

If Navi is the last hoorah for GCN, and you've got next gen consoles around 2020 give or take, and Polyphony showing off GT Sport ray tracing on a SNY 8k display, it's hard not to think PS won't just use AMD's "Next Gen" arch. You would almost think the cost has to be more to try and create a hybrid out of Navi, so unless PS wants PS5 out late 2019 to early 2020, you have to wonder is it coming sooner than we think or are the Navi PS5 rumors incorrect possibly?

I hope all next-gen consoles use AMD's next-gen architecture, that's the ultimate hope... Having the last dregs of Graphics Core Next for the next-generation consoles isn't going to do the gaming industry any favors in my opinion... Even if a Hybrid approach is taken, it's still going to be better than the technology we have today.

Thankfully AMD has spent years developing their next-gen GPU architecture, so hopefully it's design is viable for Microsoft and Sony to leverage.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

vivster said:

Not sure if I want to call Turing weak. It's weaker than it could be, sure, but it still handily beats everything else while at the same time introducing new and future oriented technology. In fact, I love that they're trying to start the RT revolution early. We might not be at a point where it can see widespread use or have hardware to properly support it but that's how new technology works. Compare it with the introduction of 4k and now 8k. It doesn't hurt to start things early when you know it will be inevitably be the standard in the future.

Right now, the RT cores don't do shit in the vast majority of the benchmarks. Turing is literally a blunder and the 2080 Ti or Titan RTX being the silver linings won't change the fact that Nvidia has an over-engineered architecture ... 

We don't even have an idea if RT will become the standard since not even D3D12 is the standard among AAA game developers and they NEED D3D12 if they want to do RT so as far as it being "inevitably be the standard" with enough lobbying from the outside parties (AMD, Intel, Microsoft and Sony) they could effectively kill adoption of RT altogether in the near future ... 

Nvidia has taken a big risk in baking RT to their silicon, almost as big as that time they were banking on G-Sync somehow becoming the standard ... 

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

It doesn't matter if Microsoft doesn't use Navi technology, Navi isn't likely to be anything special anyway. - AMD does have next-gen being designed remember.
With that said... A leak posted by Forbes can and shall be taken with grains of salt.

Maybe yes, maybe no, IMO this is like this Eurogamer's leak about PS4 Pro, where it was stated in every line its non official, and all media took it as a given PR news from Sony. Sure, it is not all set in stone, but I prefer to operate on any data than some < next gen being >

All the info we got points to the Navi in PS5, and this alone will make it very special. Like everybody know Polaris, and no one give a fuck about Bulldozer. Listen they will not simply put high end AAA GPU in next gens, there will be semi-custom made laptopt-style APUS like we got already.

I sure both will aim for 399 launch model, so this time, the difference in power will be extremely important.

Sidenote - somebody stated earlier that MS and Sony are equal partners for AMD in console space, no they are not, this is totally diff than 2013s.

caffeinade said:

This is a whole year from announcement to release, not development to release.
The AMD Radeon Vega VII isn't a whole die, and the full 64CU die isn't even that big.
It isn't like this is a massive die, and this isn't a new architecture.
An ancient slide doesn't change the fact that Vega 7nm has clearly been in the pipeline for ages, considering the product that it is.

I know it. Kinda I know it that nobody can do a massive change in big tech in one year. Vega VII is a minimal effort from AMD, just 7nm die shrinks + 25% perf on watt gains, this all - if my thinking is spot on- this is all to make MS happy. Consoles are all bout that power/energy/price mix.

Look it from another side - nobody creates an infographic with the will to change it later. Something had definitely changed.

KingofTrolls said:
caffeinade said:

This is a whole year from announcement to release, not development to release.
The AMD Radeon Vega VII isn't a whole die, and the full 64CU die isn't even that big.
It isn't like this is a massive die, and this isn't a new architecture.
An ancient slide doesn't change the fact that Vega 7nm has clearly been in the pipeline for ages, considering the product that it is.

I know it. Kinda I know it that nobody can do a massive change in big tech in one year. Vega VII is a minimal effort from AMD, just 7nm die shrinks + 25% perf on watt gains, this all - if my thinking is spot on- this is all to make MS happy. Consoles are all bout that power/energy/price mix.

Look it from another side - nobody creates an infographic with the will to change it later. Something had definitely changed.

Well at the same time, you don't release a slide when you don't know if you're going to end up doing something, yeah.
It's very possible that 7nm was progressing faster than expected, and AMD decided to test it out with Vega.

"if my thinking is spot on"
That's one big if you've got there.

caffeinade said:

Well at the same time, you don't release a slide when you don't know if you're going to end up doing something, yeah.
It's very possible that 7nm was progressing faster than expected, and AMD decided to test it out with Vega.

"if my thinking is spot on"
That's one big if you've got there.

The transistors are produced by TSMC or GlobalFoundries, not AMD/Nvidia. So i give it " higly unlikely" label.  More over, the latest AMD 14nm FinFet was co-produced by GF with Samsung to lower the costs., because more plants needed.

Not so fast, bro.

Sure, there is a big if here, but there is also the ground to defend my prediction.

KingofTrolls said:
Pemalite said:

It doesn't matter if Microsoft doesn't use Navi technology, Navi isn't likely to be anything special anyway. - AMD does have next-gen being designed remember.
With that said... A leak posted by Forbes can and shall be taken with grains of salt.

Maybe yes, maybe no, IMO this is like this Eurogamer's leak about PS4 Pro, where it was stated in every line its non official, and all media took it as a given PR news from Sony. Sure, it is not all set in stone, but I prefer to operate on any data than some < next gen being >

I prefer to try and base all assertions on actual known factoids.

KingofTrolls said:

All the info we got points to the Navi in PS5, and this alone will make it very special. Like everybody know Polaris, and no one give a fuck about Bulldozer. Listen they will not simply put high end AAA GPU in next gens, there will be semi-custom made laptopt-style APUS like we got already.

Navi is based on Graphics Core Next. That alone makes it very uninteresting.

I agree, they will not put a high-end GPU in the next gen consoles, but are you assuming that AMD's next-gen GPU architecture isn't going to have a mid-range offering?

KingofTrolls said:

The transistors are produced by TSMC or GlobalFoundries, not AMD/Nvidia. So i give it " higly unlikely" label.  More over, the latest AMD 14nm FinFet was co-produced by GF with Samsung to lower the costs., because more plants needed.

AMD works with the fabs to choose the best transistors for their designs, not all transistors are created equal, some operate with lower power but sacrifice operational frequency.
AMD will often port an older GPU design to a new node in order to "test the fab waters" so to speak and learn about it's various characteristics, so that their next chips can take better advantage of it.

KingofTrolls said:

Not so fast, bro.

Sure, there is a big if here, but there is also the ground to defend my prediction.

Many said the same thing about Ryzen in the Xbox One X... But I digress.

I suggest you wait for an actual announcement before trying to assert something as factual.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--