By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What classifies as good third party support on the Switch?

What classifies as good third party support on Switch.

Good 3rd party support is telling the media your looking at the Switch.

Great 3rd party support is porting some old game to Switch.

Incredible 3rd party support is a tailor made game for Switch.

Signed SONY MS  worldwide third party support group.

Footnote: keep this in house  incredible was a typo meant to say inedible to convey that we would never stomach such a thing.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 12 January 2019

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
TallSilhouette said:

If there's a better chance than not that a noteworthy third party title is coming to said console by default, I'd consider that good support.

If you constantly have to wonder if a new third party title you see will come to said console, I'd say support is lacking.

I think that's a pretty reasonable standard.  Although, understandably, a 51% chance of a big game coming to a system may not qualify as "good" in some people's minds. 

Medisti said:
Just look at what Capcom does and do the opposite. ;

Capcom seems to be slowly coming around: they're not the best, but they're hardly the worst. I would substitute EA into this comment.

noname2200 said:
Medisti said:
Just look at what Capcom does and do the opposite. ;

Capcom seems to be slowly coming around: they're not the best, but they're hardly the worst. I would substitute EA into this comment.

Especially with some things like the Capcom pricing on things Okami HD out a few months before Xmas was at around €20 and next week they're bringing Onimusha Warlords for around the same I think. I know those are PS2 games but still.... a lot of companies are slapping far greater price tags on software from the same ERA on the Switch, Disgaea 1 complete for instance is €49.99 also a Port of a PS2 game.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

For me, good third party support is simply having good third party games (that I like). Late ports are also pretty negative for me.

When Switch gets Persona 5, DQXI, DW9, FFXV, Nioh, Dark Souls 3, Romance of the Three kingdoms XIII, KH3, Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis IV, League of Legends, Disgaea 5, Nier Automata, Red Dead Redemption 2, Monster Hunter World (and so on and so forth) or their sequels day 1 then I consider it to have good third party support.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
For me, good third party support is simply having good third party games (that I like). Late ports are also pretty negative for me.

When Switch gets Persona 5, DQXI, DW9, FFXV, Nioh, Dark Souls 3, Romance of the Three kingdoms XIII, KH3, Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis IV, League of Legends, Disgaea 5, Nier Automata, Red Dead Redemption 2, Monster Hunter World (and so on and so forth) or their sequels day 1 then I consider it to have good third party support.

I have a feeling a lot of Japanese games are going to be coming to the Switch pretty soon with the Switch outselling everything in the land of the rising sun. As for games that were made specifically for PC like EU4 and LoL, your not likely to see them since it would take a lot of work to port them to consoles. Blizzard managed it with Diablo 3 but they are a AAA developer and Diablo has huge name recognition. I'm actually surprised LoL was never attempted to be ported but my assumption is that it requires too many hotkeys to become even decent at the game that it would take some serious work to port. 

Rightling said:
Farsala said:

I have a feeling a lot of Japanese games are going to be coming to the Switch pretty soon with the Switch outselling everything in the land of the rising sun. As for games that were made specifically for PC like EU4 and LoL, your not likely to see them since it would take a lot of work to port them to consoles. Blizzard managed it with Diablo 3 but they are a AAA developer and Diablo has huge name recognition. I'm actually surprised LoL was never attempted to be ported but my assumption is that it requires too many hotkeys to become even decent at the game that it would take some serious work to port. 

Those games and many others are why I take the risk of buying a new system. Switch just needs to get more of them day 1. Octopath Traveler and Shin Megami Tensei is a good start, but I want more :).

Good third party support means that there are always fun games to play.  So, it's subjective for each person.  A person who plays 5 games per year is a lot easier to satisfy than a person who plays 50 games per year. For me, the games I want on Switch are coming out faster than I can play them.  That means it already has good third party support and I expect it to get even better.

So, in more objective terms, I think Switch will get 85%+ of Japanese third party games and 85%+ of indie games.  Plus it will probably get 50%+ of the other Western third party games by the time Nintendo stops supporting it.  That is a ton of third party games.  That is going to keep most gamers happy. 

So, on a business side Switch is going to do phenomonally well.  It will have all of Nintendo's first party games plus a crapton of third party games.  Nintendo's handheld consoles are always like this and they always do extremely well.  But Switch is going to get some games that would normally only come to home systems too, which is going to push it even above the best Nintendo handheld.

I think we'll know that a Nintendo console has good third party support when no one feels the need to make insecure threads defending its third party support. That, and when we no longer see passive-aggressive "third party games suck anyway" comments.

that answer will vary wildly depending on user taste. as long as there are games that interest me I'd be satisfied