By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What classifies as good third party support on the Switch?

If there's a better chance than not that a noteworthy third party title is coming to said console by default, I'd consider that good support.

If you constantly have to wonder if a new third party title you see will come to said console, I'd say support is lacking.

Around the Network
EricFabian said:
Nate4Drake said:

Well, I have a very different opinion about all your topics.

It is true that PS2 was the least powerful console, but the difference in overall power was not huge;  Nintendo GC was just a "PS2" with prettier textures, this comment came straight from the word of some developers, who clearly admitted that GC was a more sofisticated hardware compared to PS2, capable of the same geometry, with prettier textures, ok,  but nothing more in terms of AI, physics and animations !  Games like GT3, Jack and Daxter, Baldur's Gate, Devil may cry, etc clearly showed how much PS2 was competitive when perfectly coded, and the amount of geometry was capable to pull out !  You cannot make any comparison between Switch VS PS4/X1 and PS2 VS GC/XBox.   

The difference between Switch and PS4/X1 in the tech department is HUGE, so huge that if you wanna port a Great 3rd Party AAA Title to Switch, you simply can't, or you should downgrade/re-design/re-work it to such an extent that it would be practically unrecognizable, and too much extra work/cost for Developers. 

You can only port to Switch small/medium sized games, and even those are downgraded to some extent.

For PS2 was a completely different story, and you could make the same core-engine for all platforms, "same" geometry/physics/AI/animations, but prettier textures on XBox and GC.

Also, PS2 had the biggest user base by an insane margin, so why 3rd Party Developers shouldn't develop for PS2 ? May you explain to me :) ??   

On the other hand, Nintendo has developed an hybrid console(mostly portable), released it in 2017, and from what I have seen, their best looking Game is not even more impressive than Uncharted3 and The Last of Us on PS3, which was released 10 years before, a decade before, can you imagine?  This is nothing critical, as Nintendo is the first one who really couldn't care less about specs, tech, power, graphics, great 3rd Party Titles.  They only want to provide a different experience, targeting a different audience. 

Monopoly is never good, all Companies need good competitors so that everybody is trying to improve and get better;  Monopoly or not monopoly has nothing to do with the fact Nintendo is generally getting weak support from 3rd party Devs/Publisher.  Nintendo is the 1st one who don't care, they have other goals and targets, and I'm smelling Nintendo is considering to abandon the Home Console Market for ever, and develop only portable hardware. It's the only way they can be competitive. 

You are wrong, Switch is not weaker than PS3

I never said Switch is weaker than PS3.

I said :"from what I have seen, their best looking Game is not even more impressive than Uncharted3 and The Last of Us on PS3, which was released 10 years before, a decade before"... which is different.  

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

SKMBlake said:
Nate4Drake said:

The difference between Switch and PS4/X1 in the tech department is HUGE, so huge that if you wanna port a Great 3rd Party AAA Title to Switch, you simply can't, or you should downgrade/re-design/re-work it to such an extent that it would be practically unrecognizable, and too much extra work/cost for Developers. 

You can only port to Switch small/medium sized games, and even those are downgraded to some extent.

You know, I really don't mean to be rude, but you're clearly clueless about both the Switch and its library

You are not rude by any means, simply you don't know about Nintendo Switch hardware capabilities...it is really really weak compared to PS4, and it can't handle big AAA demanding 3rd party titles. Easy as that.  Can you understand what I said in my post ? The previous one...

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

abronn627 said:
SKMBlake said:

What ? Capcom already released a lot of game on the Switch and will do so in 2019.

I think the comment was more about localization delays, physical in japan only or everywhere else other than Europe and collections with half of the content downloadable, not the overall library they published on the console.

It was actually because the only new game Capcom has released on Switch is Mega Man 11, almost two years in. You can only "test the waters" with ports for so long before it starts to get annoying.

Medisti said:
abronn627 said:

I think the comment was more about localization delays, physical in japan only or everywhere else other than Europe and collections with half of the content downloadable, not the overall library they published on the console.

It was actually because the only new game Capcom has released on Switch is Mega Man 11, almost two years in. You can only "test the waters" with ports for so long before it starts to get annoying.

That’s also true, forgot about this one.

Around the Network

FIFA and CoD are down.

If EA didn't have the football licenses, someone else would have already destroyed them.

So long as games like Fortnite and Minecraft are the best 3rd parties can offer, the 'need to have AAA' diminishes.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Good third party support is if the Switch gets the same or better 3rd party support as the 3DS + Vita Combined. Switch is a hybrid, but it has the power of a handheld, so it should be cut some slack. Anybody complaining that it doesn't have every AAA 3rd party game, doesn't understand things right. 

DonFerrari said:
If you have a good gaming PC, for sure buy your multiplats there as they will be cheaper and play better, why would you do it otherwise?

Good 3rd party support to Switch is receiving the same games as PS4 and X1.

I'm still paying $35 to $45 for physical versions of my multiplats on launch day, thanks to my gamer's club membership. For example: Kingdom Hearts 3 is costing me $35 because I get it for 20% off, and then there's a $10 gift card for pre-ordering. Oh and I get 8.5% cash back on my Best Buy card. Try using https://www.pricecharting.com/ to find out how much physical versions of a game really cost. They are almost always the same price or cheaper than the digital versions of PC games. And that's even if you check on key reseller sites. The actual Steam/Uplay/Origin/GoG prices of games are usually full price until there's a sale. Finally, I wouldn't use key reseller sites to buy my games, because they are often funded by stolen credit cards. 

Nate4Drake said:
SKMBlake said:

You know, I really don't mean to be rude, but you're clearly clueless about both the Switch and its library

You are not rude by any means, simply you don't know about Nintendo Switch hardware capabilities...it is really really weak compared to PS4, and it can't handle big AAA demanding 3rd party titles. Easy as that.  Can you understand what I said in my post ? The previous one...

Actually, I do know the capabilities of the Switch's hardware. But you're not. Or think you do but you don't. And you clearly don't know its library either to say the Switch can only handle not demanding games. Of course it's weaker than the PS4, that doesn't mean it can't run PS4 games at all.

If you think that Doom , Doom Eternal, Wolfenstein II or Warframe aren't demanding AAA games, I don't know what they are. And the whole games are ported to the Switch, they're aren't half-baked port with lot of content missing.

Of course there are visuals downgrades. But not a single AAA game ported to the Switch have its content cut. Either the whole game is ported, or isn't at all.

I'm gonna assume you don't have a Switch so it is kind of pointless to clearly know what the hardware is capable of. But what developpers, and mostly Panic Button, are achieving when they port games on the Switch is mindblowing. 

Ganoncrotch said:
CGI-Quality said:

Examples?

I read this line and thought Call of Duty and Assassins Creed right off the bat, more the second than the first. Those types of AAA games I'm okay if they're not on the Switch tbh the yearly released skin/xp/loot box seller.

Just out of curiosity, what was the last Assassins Creed game you played?

oh! and btw, I think if anyone here dares to call any Nintendo games (even 1,2 Switch and Labo) "regurgitated fecal matter" would be banned.

Switch third party support is very good so far. Best supported system since the GameCube in my opinion.