By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What classifies as good third party support on the Switch?

Nintendo won a generation. And it was consistently theirs every step of the way. And still third parties couldn't care less.

I hate to be the conspiracy theorist here, but I think it was a union of MS and Sony with the best developers.

The PS2 was the least powerful console, the NES was the least powerful console. And still, third parties used to say, we'll work with the lowest common denominator. That rule changed completely when Nintendo was ahead.

To me the only way we can get a Nintendo console be the main console for third parties, is if we have another Nintendo monopoly. And I've been praying for that for years.

Around the Network
Azelover said:
Nintendo won a generation. And it was consistently theirs every step of the way. And still third parties couldn't care less.

I hate to be the conspiracy theorist here, but I think it was a union of MS and Sony with the best developers.

The PS2 was the least powerful console, the NES was the least powerful console. And still, third parties used to say, we'll work with the lowest common denominator. That rule changed completely when Nintendo was ahead.

To me the only way we can get a Nintendo console be the main console for third parties, is if we have another Nintendo monopoly. And I've been praying for that for years.

Third parties don't care about favoritism or petty drama anymore. They care about market opportunities. If their games can run on Switch, and people are buying them, they'll bring them over. With the Wii, it had third party support, but the majority of it had to be custom made, due to the vastly weaker hardware. The Switch isn't that far off from the other consoles in comparison, plus it's main gimmick is something that can resonate with casual and hardcore gamers, so there's more of a reason to port over PS and Xbox content. 

Nintendo does not need equal 3rd party support as their competitors to beat them since they have much more superior 1st party and 2nd party support. Something around DS level 3rd party support would be good for them. Right now it feels like early Wii 3rd party support i.e 2007-2008. Indie games though make it feel much closer to DS levels though. Still not there yet though.

Most Nintendo systems have crappy sarts for 3rd parties. It will only get better though. Even the ok selling 3DS gained 3rd party support as time went on. The Switch is selling much better. I expect the third party support to start showing up this year and increase next year and again in 2021.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Azelover said:

Well, I have a very different opinion about all your topics.

It is true that PS2 was the least powerful console, but the difference in overall power was not huge;  Nintendo GC was just a "PS2" with prettier textures, this comment came straight from the word of some developers, who clearly admitted that GC was a more sofisticated hardware compared to PS2, capable of the same geometry, with prettier textures, ok,  but nothing more in terms of AI, physics and animations !  Games like GT3, Jack and Daxter, Baldur's Gate, Devil may cry, etc clearly showed how much PS2 was competitive when perfectly coded, and the amount of geometry was capable to pull out !  You cannot make any comparison between Switch VS PS4/X1 and PS2 VS GC/XBox.   

The difference between Switch and PS4/X1 in the tech department is HUGE, so huge that if you wanna port a Great 3rd Party AAA Title to Switch, you simply can't, or you should downgrade/re-design/re-work it to such an extent that it would be practically unrecognizable, and too much extra work/cost for Developers. 

You can only port to Switch small/medium sized games, and even those are downgraded to some extent.

For PS2 was a completely different story, and you could make the same core-engine for all platforms, "same" geometry/physics/AI/animations, but prettier textures on XBox and GC.

Also, PS2 had the biggest user base by an insane margin, so why 3rd Party Developers shouldn't develop for PS2 ? May you explain to me :) ??   

On the other hand, Nintendo has developed an hybrid console(mostly portable), released it in 2017, and from what I have seen, their best looking Game is not even more impressive than Uncharted3 and The Last of Us on PS3, which was released 10 years before, a decade before, can you imagine?  This is nothing critical, as Nintendo is the first one who really couldn't care less about specs, tech, power, graphics, great 3rd Party Titles.  They only want to provide a different experience, targeting a different audience. 

Monopoly is never good, all Companies need good competitors so that everybody is trying to improve and get better;  Monopoly or not monopoly has nothing to do with the fact Nintendo is generally getting weak support from 3rd party Devs/Publisher.  Nintendo is the 1st one who don't care, they have other goals and targets, and I'm smelling Nintendo is considering to abandon the Home Console Market for ever, and develop only portable hardware. It's the only way they can be competitive. My opinion.

Last edited by Nate4Drake - on 12 January 2019

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Nate4Drake said:

Well, I have a very different opinion about all your topics.

It is true that PS2 was the least powerful console, but the difference in overall power was not huge;  Nintendo GC was just a "PS2" with prettier textures, this comment came straight from the word of some developers, who clearly admitted that GC was a more sofisticated hardware compared to PS2, capable of the same geometry, with prettier textures, ok,  but nothing more in terms of AI, physics and animations !  Games like GT3, Jack and Daxter, Baldur's Gate, Devil may cry, etc clearly showed how much PS2 was competitive when perfectly coded, and the amount of geometry was capable to pull out !  You cannot make any comparison between Switch VS PS4/X1 and PS2 VS GC/XBox.   

The difference between Switch and PS4/X1 in the tech department is HUGE, so huge that if you wanna port a Great 3rd Party AAA Title to Switch, you simply can't, or you should downgrade/re-design/re-work it to such an extent that it would be practically unrecognizable, and too much extra work/cost for Developers. 

You can only port to Switch small/medium sized games, and even those are downgraded to some extent.

For PS2 was a completely different story, and you could make the same core-engine for all platforms, "same" geometry/physics/AI/animations, but prettier textures on XBox and GC.

Also, PS2 had the biggest user base by an insane margin, so why 3rd Party Developers shouldn't develop for PS2 ? May you explain to me :) ??   

On the other hand, Nintendo has developed an hybrid console(mostly portable), released it in 2017, and from what I have seen, their best looking Game is not even more impressive than Uncharted3 and The Last of Us on PS3, which was released 10 years before, a decade before, can you imagine?  This is nothing critical, as Nintendo is the first one who really couldn't care less about specs, tech, power, graphics, great 3rd Party Titles.  They only want to provide a different experience, targeting a different audience. 

Monopoly is never good, all Companies need good competitors so that everybody is trying to improve and get better;  Monopoly or not monopoly has nothing to do with the fact Nintendo is generally getting weak support from 3rd party Devs/Publisher.  Nintendo is the 1st one who don't care, they have other goals and targets, and I'm smelling Nintendo is considering to abandon the Home Console Market for ever, and develop only portable hardware. It's the only way they can be competitive. 

You are wrong, Switch is not weaker than PS3

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network
Medisti said:
Just look at what Capcom does and do the opposite. ;)

But really, just releasing games and lots of them. Ports are fine and all, but new games are a much bigger deal.

What ? Capcom already released a lot of game on the Switch and will do so in 2019.

Nate4Drake said:

You know, I really don't mean to be rude, but you're clearly clueless about both the Switch and its library

Last edited by AJNShelton - on 12 January 2019

SKMBlake said:
Medisti said:
Just look at what Capcom does and do the opposite. ;)

But really, just releasing games and lots of them. Ports are fine and all, but new games are a much bigger deal.

What ? Capcom already released a lot of game on the Switch and will do so in 2019.

I think the comment was more about localization delays, physical in japan only or everywhere else other than Europe and collections with half of the content downloadable, not the overall library they published on the console.

Ganoncrotch said:
CGI-Quality said:

Examples?

I read this line and thought Call of Duty and Assassins Creed right off the bat, more the second than the first. Those types of AAA games I'm okay if they're not on the Switch tbh the yearly released skin/xp/loot box seller.

What's the last Assassin's Creed game you played?  Of the big AAA series, recent Ass Creed games have arguably the least intrusive, least significant micro transactions. In fact, speaking from a gamers perspective, I'd like to see the rest of the industry follow their example. 

Btw, don't call "ports" game that are announced and will be released at the same time as other platforms, they're "Switch version"