By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why did Jesus Christ sacrifice his self for you?

Pemalite said:
EricHiggin said:

Must everything conform to the scientific method? Are other methods allowed? It's not the one, and only, method, is it?

There is absolutely no need for Religion in a modern society, but there is certainly a need for Science.

Science flies us to Mars, Religion flies us into buildings.

EricHiggin said:

Just because God doesn't do something you want them to or think they should, that mean's they don't exist? Hidden answers don't just appear because you want them to.

That isn't what I am saying, nor is that what I have said.

What I am saying is there is absolutely ZERO evidence for the existence of yours or anyone else's God, thus we can discard those claims with equally as much evidence.

That is the absolute logical position.

EricHiggin said:

Well is the Bible entirely fact or just a book to get you to potentially believe and follow? Has religion changed over time as well?

I'm not saying the scientific method is useless, it's useful, but can it prove 100% that God can't exist? If it ever does, then odds are many will change their minds.

What has science done? Chemical weapons, nukes, etc? Negatives along with positives?

I would be worried if any individual regarded the Bible as fact and would thus question that individuals mental faculties.

Also... Science isn't required to prove or disprove your God exists.

The burden of proof lays upon the individual making the claim, thus if religion makes the claim that God exists... Then they are REQUIRED to prove it.

Otherwise... What stops me from making the claim that the Flying Spaghetti monster exists? You would be required to believe it unless you can disprove it. - That is the logic you are using.

Could be argued that the propagation of weapons were propelled by religious rhetoric, didn't the USA make a religious spew before it used the Nuclear Bomb?

EricHiggin said:

Has science proved God can't exist? Why not?

Do some Christians agree on some things? Do all scientists agree on everything?

Old science that made claims that weren't true is something to point out as an extremely bad thing?

Nobody knows until they find the answer they are content with, like science.

Science isn't required to prove or disprove that God exists.

Religion -IS- required to prove or disprove their God exists. They are making the claim, the burden of proof lays upon them.

The Burden of proof is required by the scientific method... And has proven to be so beneficial that it is even used in the court of law.

EricHiggin said:

What did they used to think and how did they use to treat some of these people? Differently than now? Why?

When it comes to suicide and mental health, the professionals, and you, know everything? Can't be wrong? Even partially?

What about people who decide to end someone else's life? Are they mentally ill? Could they just be sympathetic?

Why are you trying to justify suicide? Your line of thinking is dangerous.

Yes, anyone who decides to end someone else's life are mentally ill.

I see mangled dead bodies every day, I have had people die in my arms, what you are proposing is not reality.

EricHiggin said:

If scientific claims were discarded they'd never have proven anything. They must have some faith in their idea's and continue.

Worshipers believe God is eternal, so, a lot, longer.

Good question. Where do we draw it? Can science answer that? Can it disprove the tooth fairy?

I can't help but feel you're a little biased here. Kinda like being given a Werther's Original when you'd much rather have a large glass of water. More water probably would've been a good idea along with the wishes though.

False.

Science isn't required to disprove the tooth fairy, again... You need to understand what the burden of proof is, the individual who makes the claim is required to prove their position.

Am I biased? Nope. If you can prove God exists, I will believe it... Until then I am going to discard your proposition, because that is all it is... A fairy tale, no more real than Micky Mouse or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

But one thing is for sure... Is that perhaps you might be biased considering you are willing to throw your entire support behind something that cannot be proven and might be nothing more than a con?

-I think we've both made points that both science and religion can do good and evil. So if science should exist based on it's positives, so should religion, based on it's positives. You pointed out earlier how you think it's good that science makes mistakes and get's things wrong so that it can learn from them and better itself. If religion has changed over time, for the better, than why doesn't that same type of thinking apply to it as well? Is religion allowed to screw up, learn, and move forward, or just science?

-You keep asking for evidence, yet won't accept it in a religious form, so does that mean the scientific method is the ONE and ONLY allowable method? Must everything conform to science? I don't believe the 'biblical method' mentions that it requires science to prove itself. Therefore, if you want scientific proof, science will have to come up with it.

-You can make whatever claims you want, but no one is going to automatically accept it. They may, they may not. Depends on what method they use to ascertain the truth depending on the topic. Even if you're certain beyond a doubt that you've proved it, they still may not accept it. Free will can be frustrating at times.

-I'm not trying to justify suicide. The opposite if anything. I'm pointing out that you don't have to be mentally ill to want to take your own life, or someone else's. If you can kill someone else out of fear, or sympathy, etc, there is no reason why you couldn't do it to yourself without mental illness. People don't only laugh when they are happy do they? If people laugh at "sick" jokes, does that mean they must be mentally ill? If someone chooses to do something, and you intervene, then you've interfered with their free will. God doesn't want people offing themselves, and you agreed with that, even though you also believe in free will.

-You're the one who asked about the Tooth Fairy initially, not me. Since you're taking the side of science, I would think it's up to you to prove it then. Isn't it?

-If you're upset about the P.M. sending wishes and prayers, and you're not a fan of religion, then it would be likely you're a little biased. I don't necessarily believe everything I've mentioned, but that doesn't change the fact that devout religious people do. Being somewhat religious, that does also likely mean I am also partially biased. Though, I'm not against science, within reason.

-It only becomes a con once it's become clear it was a con. Many people get conned and had no idea until later on, or until it was too late. How do we know for certain that religion and/or science isn't a con? How much time do we need to find out?

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
The only god I believe is in the holy trifecta of The Nintendo, The Capcom and The PlatinumGames.

No love for RNGesus? 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

SpokenTruth said:
EricHiggin said:

People help other people for something in return. Whether it's the positive feeling they get for being useful, or something like food or money, etc. Offering stuff to get people to do things for you isn't some diabolical concept. Offering them better things, so you in return get better things isn't crazy either. Why God would offer eternal life in heaven makes sense. Not being a helpful useful person can lead to a life of hell more often than not.

You might work/help for little in return, which makes you feel like you're not expecting anything you don't require to live, which is totally fine, but that doesn't mean people help for nothing, and aren't more productive with better incentives, more often than not.

I don't think you understand what intrinsic and extrinsic motivational factors are. I probably shouldn't be expecting an understating of psychology form a theist.

If the all things you require in life, just so happen to be the things you love to do, and you can get them without going through anyone else, then lucky you. That in today's world however, is about as likely as, I dunno, God existing, some might say.

If heaven or hell is the path after life, then is it really a reward, or just the next required step? What about those who would love to go to heaven?

SpokenTruth said:
EricHiggin said:

If the all things you require in life, just so happen to be the things you love to do, and you can get them without going through anyone else, then lucky you. That in today's world however, is about as likely as, I dunno, God existing, some might say.

If heaven or hell is the path after life, then is it really a reward, or just the next required step? What about those who would love to go to heaven?

What is that?

Please elaborate.

SpokenTruth said:
EricHiggin said:

Please elaborate.

I'm asking you to do exactly that.  I bolded it, underlined it and italicized it. 

"A place regarded in various religions as a spiritual realm of evil and suffering."

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
EricHiggin said:

"A place regarded in various religions as a spiritual realm of evil and suffering."

Like minor evil and suffering?  Are we talking having to eat leftovers for eternity or watching reruns of 60's sitcoms?   Or more dire?  Like feeling your skin being corroded by acid for all of eternity?

Fire and brimstone. Something like that.

Depends on what you consider minor, and evil.

I guess God could have made it so everyone automatically goes to heaven, but then your free will is being taken away. Which would people rather keep? If there are humans who don't believe in or even hate/despise God, would it be right to automatically force them to go to heaven, where God is, for eternity?

EricHiggin said:

-I think we've both made points that both science and religion can do good and evil. So if science should exist based on it's positives, so should religion, based on it's positives. You pointed out earlier how you think it's good that science makes mistakes and get's things wrong so that it can learn from them and better itself. If religion has changed over time, for the better, than why doesn't that same type of thinking apply to it as well? Is religion allowed to screw up, learn, and move forward, or just science?

The difference between science and religion is that it doesn't care about yours or anyones feelings.
Science isn't "Good or Evil" it is an explanation of the natural world.

For example... Science unlike religion...

* Is not telling you to kill Homosexuals.
"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives.” - Leviticus 20:13 NAB

* Kill children.
"Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword.  Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes.  Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes.  For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off.  The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows.  They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children." - Isaiah 13:15-18 NLT

* Again... More killing of Children.
“For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.” - Leviticus 20:9

* Your God demanding child sacrifices.
"Jephthah killed his young daughter (his only child) by burning her alive as a burnt sacrifice to the lord for he commanded it." - Judges 11:30-40

* Forcing men to marry their Rape victims.
"If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father.  Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her." - Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NAB

* Death to rape victim.
"If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife." - Deuteronomy 22:23-24 NAB

* Supports Slavery.
"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear.  Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. " - Ephesians 6:5 NLT

And before you claim that some of that is "old testament". - The new Testament also has horrific shit in it also.

Not to mention... The Old Testament is still binding which is supported by many Christian denominations and literal interpretations and the Bible itself.
I.E.
* Old Testament is to be obeyed until the end of human existence itself. Jesus said so.
“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished.  Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” - Matthew 5:18-19 RSV

* Old Testament laws are binding forever.
“It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid.” - Luke 16:17 NAB

I could list more.

Science doesn't have any of this bullshit.
If science is used for "bad deeds" it's not the fault of science, because science has never told someone they need to marry their rape victim.

EricHiggin said:

-You keep asking for evidence, yet won't accept it in a religious form, so does that mean the scientific method is the ONE and ONLY allowable method? Must everything conform to science? I don't believe the 'biblical method' mentions that it requires science to prove itself. Therefore, if you want scientific proof, science will have to come up with it.

I am happy to accept evidence in "religious form". - Whatever that means. But if it doesn't conform to the scientific method, it will be discarded.

Science doesn't need to prove itself, because science is built on evidence and is the explanation of the natural world.

Remember, Science flies us to other planets... Religion flies us into buildings.

EricHiggin said:

-You can make whatever claims you want, but no one is going to automatically accept it. They may, they may not. Depends on what method they use to ascertain the truth depending on the topic. Even if you're certain beyond a doubt that you've proved it, they still may not accept it. Free will can be frustrating at times.

I am not debating to change your mind and accept anything, I am debating for those who are sitting on the fence and hopefully see the logic in the arguments put forth.

And false, if you have evidence that your particular exists, then I will believe it... But considering Christianity has had over 6,000+ years and haven't done so... I don't hold much hope in a random forum dweller on the internet to be able to come up with anything legitimate.

And answer me this, how do you know you have picked the right God instead of one of the other thousands littered all through history who claims the exact same thing?

EricHiggin said:

-I'm not trying to justify suicide. The opposite if anything. I'm pointing out that you don't have to be mentally ill to want to take your own life, or someone else's. If you can kill someone else out of fear, or sympathy, etc, there is no reason why you couldn't do it to yourself without mental illness. People don't only laugh when they are happy do they? If people laugh at "sick" jokes, does that mean they must be mentally ill? If someone chooses to do something, and you intervene, then you've interfered with their free will. God doesn't want people offing themselves, and you agreed with that, even though you also believe in free will.

If you try to commit suicide, then you are going against the human condition. - We have pain receptors, we have hormones which instill emotions such as fear in order to avoid such scenarios from occurring.

EricHiggin said:

-You're the one who asked about the Tooth Fairy initially, not me. Since you're taking the side of science, I would think it's up to you to prove it then. Isn't it?

I have already explained the logic behind this.

The burden of proof lays upon the claimant. If I claimed the tooth fairy exists, then I need to prove it. But I haven't.

You have claimed God exists... So you need to prove it, not me.

EricHiggin said:

-If you're upset about the P.M. sending wishes and prayers, and you're not a fan of religion, then it would be likely you're a little biased. I don't necessarily believe everything I've mentioned, but that doesn't change the fact that devout religious people do. Being somewhat religious, that does also likely mean I am also partially biased. Though, I'm not against science, within reason.

Upset? No. Disgusted is what I am.

Sending "thoughts and prayers" is just feel-good bullshit so the Prime Minister could feel good about himself whilst he went on holiday and had the time of his life whilst property, life and the environment was destroyed in a national emergency.

Thoughts and Prayers in short... Does fuck all.

Do you know who saved lives? People like myself who had the motivation to get out there, give up months of our lives, potentially putting our own lives at risk and assisting our communities in times of need.
I did that. Not thoughts and prayers. - Religion is an insult to the hard-work I did.
Sending thoughts and prayers is an insult to any free-thinking individual who is struggling and the hard work us firefighters put forth for weeks/months on end.

Religion is a waste of time and space in any modern society.

EricHiggin said:
SpokenTruth said:

I don't think you understand what intrinsic and extrinsic motivational factors are. I probably shouldn't be expecting an understating of psychology form a theist.

If their hypothetical God was all loving... They wouldn't need to threaten billions of people with eternal torture to gain peoples fake-love and acceptance.
It's using the power of fear and uncertainty.

EricHiggin said:
SpokenTruth said:

Like minor evil and suffering?  Are we talking having to eat leftovers for eternity or watching reruns of 60's sitcoms?   Or more dire?  Like feeling your skin being corroded by acid for all of eternity?

I guess God could have made it so everyone automatically goes to heaven, but then your free will is being taken away. Which would people rather keep? If there are humans who don't believe in or even hate/despise God, would it be right to automatically force them to go to heaven, where God is, for eternity?

Hell hasn't been proven to exist anymore than heaven or God itself.. So there is that nugget of comfort.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

SpokenTruth said:
EricHiggin said:

Everyone gets their own personal suffering based on fears and what you did wrongly while being alive.

Fear of dogs might result in being eaten alive by dogs again and again,such twisted things.

SpokenTruth said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Everyone gets their own personal suffering based on fears and what you did wrongly while being alive.

Fear of dogs might result in being eaten alive by dogs again and again,such twisted things.

What is this idea derived from? 

Human instinct and a means to have control,fear of having to pay for your sins in a very bad selfhating way,most likely control over the crowd,keeping people in check.

A lot less would feel the need to act good if there's no punishment to be bad,so the extremer the punishment the more effective it is.A hell would be nonexistant in a religion if it did not strenghten it.

And ofcourse that reasoning does make it even more fictional.

Pemalite said:
EricHiggin said:

The difference between science and religion is that it doesn't care about yours or anyones feelings.
Science isn't "Good or Evil" it is an explanation of the natural world.

For example... Science unlike religion...

* Is not telling you to kill Homosexuals.
"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives.” - Leviticus 20:13 NAB

* Kill children.
"Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword.  Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes.  Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes.  For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off.  The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows.  They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children." - Isaiah 13:15-18 NLT

* Again... More killing of Children.
“For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.” - Leviticus 20:9

* Your God demanding child sacrifices.
"Jephthah killed his young daughter (his only child) by burning her alive as a burnt sacrifice to the lord for he commanded it." - Judges 11:30-40

* Forcing men to marry their Rape victims.
"If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father.  Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her." - Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NAB

* Death to rape victim.
"If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife." - Deuteronomy 22:23-24 NAB

* Supports Slavery.
"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear.  Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. " - Ephesians 6:5 NLT

And before you claim that some of that is "old testament". - The new Testament also has horrific shit in it also.

Not to mention... The Old Testament is still binding which is supported by many Christian denominations and literal interpretations and the Bible itself.
I.E.
* Old Testament is to be obeyed until the end of human existence itself. Jesus said so.
“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished.  Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” - Matthew 5:18-19 RSV

* Old Testament laws are binding forever.
“It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid.” - Luke 16:17 NAB

I could list more.

Science doesn't have any of this bullshit.
If science is used for "bad deeds" it's not the fault of science, because science has never told someone they need to marry their rape victim.

EricHiggin said:

I am happy to accept evidence in "religious form". - Whatever that means. But if it doesn't conform to the scientific method, it will be discarded.

Science doesn't need to prove itself, because science is built on evidence and is the explanation of the natural world.

Remember, Science flies us to other planets... Religion flies us into buildings.

EricHiggin said:

I am not debating to change your mind and accept anything, I am debating for those who are sitting on the fence and hopefully see the logic in the arguments put forth.

And false, if you have evidence that your particular exists, then I will believe it... But considering Christianity has had over 6,000+ years and haven't done so... I don't hold much hope in a random forum dweller on the internet to be able to come up with anything legitimate.

And answer me this, how do you know you have picked the right God instead of one of the other thousands littered all through history who claims the exact same thing?

EricHiggin said:

If you try to commit suicide, then you are going against the human condition. - We have pain receptors, we have hormones which instill emotions such as fear in order to avoid such scenarios from occurring.

EricHiggin said:

I have already explained the logic behind this.

The burden of proof lays upon the claimant. If I claimed the tooth fairy exists, then I need to prove it. But I haven't.

You have claimed God exists... So you need to prove it, not me.

EricHiggin said:

Upset? No. Disgusted is what I am.

Sending "thoughts and prayers" is just feel-good bullshit so the Prime Minister could feel good about himself whilst he went on holiday and had the time of his life whilst property, life and the environment was destroyed in a national emergency.

Thoughts and Prayers in short... Does fuck all.

Do you know who saved lives? People like myself who had the motivation to get out there, give up months of our lives, potentially putting our own lives at risk and assisting our communities in times of need.
I did that. Not thoughts and prayers. - Religion is an insult to the hard-work I did.
Sending thoughts and prayers is an insult to any free-thinking individual who is struggling and the hard work us firefighters put forth for weeks/months on end.

Religion is a waste of time and space in any modern society.

EricHiggin said:

If their hypothetical God was all loving... They wouldn't need to threaten billions of people with eternal torture to gain peoples fake-love and acceptance.
It's using the power of fear and uncertainty.

EricHiggin said:

Hell hasn't been proven to exist anymore than heaven or God itself.. So there is that nugget of comfort.

"The difference between science and religion is that it doesn't care about yours or anyones feelings."

This is such a silly understanding of what science is

science is only as beneficial to humanity as its practitioners will allow it to be and its practitioners have routinely demonstrated that quite often it is not rationality that wins out in the end

"Science doesn't have any of this bullshit.
If science is used for "bad deeds" it's not the fault of science"

Isn't gun control requested, for example, because the type of science that has gone into creating guns has facilitated the ability to kill people more easily?

how is that not the fault of the types of experimentation that has lead to perfecting guns as killing weapons?

science is a practice, its something that someone does to solve a particular problem and if the problem is to say kill people, then experimentation is done to refine technology used for killing