By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales Week 52 Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - December 24-30, 2018

With Media Create numbers out I can finally finish this.

Predictions: (actual)

Week 47: 140k (108k)

Week 48: 120k (120k)

Week 49: 310k (281k)

Week 50: 180k (281k)

Week 51: 290k (278k)

Week 52: 140k (175k)

Total: 1.18m (1.24m)

In the end a very close result. And as the lowest predictor, I believe I can say that most people expected more from Switch during the holidays. Even I expected a 300k+ week, but that never really happened. The margin is close enough that even though I slightly underestimate Switch, it was pretty much spot on.

Around the Network
Megiddo said:
We finally have week 52 numbers for Media Create.

Switch finishes with 3,534,165 units and 88.4% of its 4 million goal.
PS4 finishes with 1,726,031 units and 86.3% of its 2 million goal.

A very close result in the end.

So in the end Switch sold just over double the PS4 in Japan for 2018.

curl-6 said:
Megiddo said:
We finally have week 52 numbers for Media Create.

Switch finishes with 3,534,165 units and 88.4% of its 4 million goal.
PS4 finishes with 1,726,031 units and 86.3% of its 2 million goal.

A very close result in the end.

Correct, I remember how some used Monster Hunter's boost in Jan/Feb to conclude that it would be a close battle between the two this year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Correct, I remember how some used Monster Hunter's boost in Jan/Feb to conclude that it would be a close battle between the two this year.

That was crazy talk. Anyone who did needs to be named and shamed. 

OTBWY said:
Nintendo Switch has become the fastest selling home console platform in Japan's recorded sales history at 97 weeks from launch.

Wow! Amazing work for Switch! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
Nintendo Switch has become the fastest selling home console platform in Japan's recorded sales history at 97 weeks from launch.

Do those numbers include the PS2?

Even if not, that's still huge, and I see the Switch selling PS2/3DS total numbers in the end (~25M total in Japan)

It's comparing apples and oranges. Those traditional home consoles were not anything like the Switch which is a hybrid console.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
OTBWY said:

Do those numbers include the PS2?

Even if not, that's still huge, and I see the Switch selling PS2/3DS total numbers in the end (~25M total in Japan)

Yes, that would include PS2 as it would be part of the recorded sales history. It is very impressive. 

Last edited by Acevil - on 11 January 2019

RolStoppable said:
Kerotan said:
It's comparing apples and oranges. Those traditional home consoles were not anything like the Switch which is a hybrid console.

Unintentional hilarity.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8952139

So if it gets compared to handhelds he is fine with it? While for Home consoles he is not? 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
RolStoppable said:

Unintentional hilarity.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8952139

So if it gets compared to handhelds he is fine with it? While for Home consoles he is not? 

There's an easy explanation for this: The Switch is a hybrid handheld console xD