By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game protagonist's who's Character you played whilst wishing all the while you could beat them with a big stick

StriderKiwi said:

As for Kratos, am I allowed to swear in this forum? I passed on his games primarily because of his awful attitude, and the fact that his stories were always about him ruining the world for everyone else.
Were his Godly opponents bad?
Yes.
Was Kratos worse?
YES.

Perhaps it's the INFJ in me, but I just could not sympathize with a guy whose literal answer to life was "kill everyone and everything." Want to say there was one or more characters who gave him the items or whatever it was he came to them for willingly, and Kratos then killed them anyways. But from what I've seen of GoW PS4, old age has mellowed him out, so the new series may turn things around.

Yes, you can swear. And yes, to hell with Kratos. I don't care if old age mellowed him out. After the piece of shit he was in the first trilogy, I don't really want to play any game starring him anymore.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Kratos.

Most unlikeable, unpleasant arsehole of a protagonist I've ever had the displeasure of playing as. 

Yeah, yeah, I know, he was tricked into killing his wife and child yada yada yada but his constant "I'm super angry and hate everyone and I'm gonna kill you all and yell every line in an enraged shout ahhhhhhh" thing got old really fast and the way he blithely murders innocent characters made him extra reprehensible. It's possible, if difficult, to make playing a douchebag enjoyable if he/she has at least some charisma, but Kratos has none whatsoever, he's just a repugnant bore.

Kratos was amazing. We will never get another character like him, that era is over, now is all about being pc and not hurting anybody's feelings because they will be sad.....

omarct said:
curl-6 said:

Kratos.

Most unlikeable, unpleasant arsehole of a protagonist I've ever had the displeasure of playing as. 

Yeah, yeah, I know, he was tricked into killing his wife and child yada yada yada but his constant "I'm super angry and hate everyone and I'm gonna kill you all and yell every line in an enraged shout ahhhhhhh" thing got old really fast and the way he blithely murders innocent characters made him extra reprehensible. It's possible, if difficult, to make playing a douchebag enjoyable if he/she has at least some charisma, but Kratos has none whatsoever, he's just a repugnant bore.

Kratos was amazing. We will never get another character like him, that era is over, now is all about being pc and not hurting anybody's feelings because they will be sad.....

And for that I am deeply thankful.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

omarct said:
curl-6 said:

Kratos.

Kratos was amazing. We will never get another character like him, that era is over

Thank god, mid-2000's games were always a cringefest due to the extreme edginess everywhere.

I always pretty much liked Kratos. He's an anti-hero, not your usual "nice guy doing nice thing", so the usual complaints about him are actually showing that he's doing his job.

Hated most of the characters in Fire Emblem Awakening (didn't play Fates, but the complaints seem the same), and I was of course praying for 9S to die and disappear from Nier ASAP.

Last edited by Faelco - on 07 January 2019

Around the Network

Mario. Flavorless mascots should at least be be cute or funny.

The main character from Far Cry 3. Was I supposed to dislike him that much? It had to be intentional, right? He and his friends were the kind of characters that get killed in horror movies and you're happy about it.

I really didn't like Cloud from FF7 much at all. He felt soulless. There was just nothing about him to like. Didn't help that suddenly every other person on AOL had a "xXxCLOUDxXx(random numbers)" screenname.

Emil from the fanfic Dawn of the new world.

Other M's Samus, another fanfic really.

Bravely Default's, tho honestly I want to beat the whole game with a stick. Transport Ringabel to a better world at least.

Donte from fanfic DMC.

I think that is what comes to mind for now.

omarct said:
Final Fantasy 13
Worst offender was Lightning, but I disliked them all, with maybe Vanille being the least annoying as she was enjoyable to watch in more ways than one.

At least you didn't say Hope, he gets so much unnecessary hate for being a "whiny emo kid", he IS a kid, watched his mam die, and blames Snow for her death, he has every reason to be the way he is lol. Also how can you dislike Sazh?! :o 

ARamdomGamer said: 

Other M's Samus, another fanfic really.

Ugh, I'd happily forgotten about about Monologue McDaddyIssues, curse you for reminding me. Still one of the most misguided and tone-deaf representations of an iconic character in gaming history.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

The Night Elf I played in WoW was utterly hateable, for years building a character running around destroying both friend and enemy for the sheer fun of seeing what they would do when tested in various ways. Really... if I had a stick right now... I'd probably use it to go and destroy some quest area with my Night elf.... She was awful!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive