By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game protagonist's who's Character you played whilst wishing all the while you could beat them with a big stick

Bristow9091 said:
omarct said:
Final Fantasy 13
Worst offender was Lightning, but I disliked them all, with maybe Vanille being the least annoying as she was enjoyable to watch in more ways than one.

At least you didn't say Hope, he gets so much unnecessary hate for being a "whiny emo kid", he IS a kid, watched his mam die, and blames Snow for her death, he has every reason to be the way he is lol. Also how can you dislike Sazh?! :o 

The premise of hope was alright but it just badly executed. Instead of making you feel empathy for the kid the developers somehow made him obnoxious.

Around the Network
omarct said:
Bristow9091 said:

At least you didn't say Hope, he gets so much unnecessary hate for being a "whiny emo kid", he IS a kid, watched his mam die, and blames Snow for her death, he has every reason to be the way he is lol. Also how can you dislike Sazh?! :o 

The premise of hope was alright but it just badly executed. Instead of making you feel empathy for the kid the developers somehow made him obnoxious.

To be honest, for how kids are generally represented I think he was done pretty well and didn't find him obnoxious at all, if anything the only characters that actually "annoyed" me were Fang and Vanille, not sure what it was but I just didn't put them on the same level as the rest of the cast despite them still being very interesting characters and integral to the story.

curl-6 said:

Kratos.

Most unlikeable, unpleasant arsehole of a protagonist I've ever had the displeasure of playing as. 

Yeah, yeah, I know, he was tricked into killing his wife and child yada yada yada but his constant "I'm super angry and hate everyone and I'm gonna kill you all and yell every line in an enraged shout ahhhhhhh" thing got old really fast and the way he blithely murders innocent characters made him extra reprehensible. It's possible, if difficult, to make playing a douchebag enjoyable if he/she has at least some charisma, but Kratos has none whatsoever, he's just a repugnant bore.

Your only saying that because the Ship's Captain was an ancestor of yours. still David Jaffe knew what he wanted  a  character who sees the world through anger. I imagine  David Jaffe looking at his own image in the mirror, while pondering how did I the Bruce Banner of  video game creators create such an angry  bastard where chalk and cheese.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 08 January 2019

curl-6 said:
ARamdomGamer said: 

Other M's Samus, another fanfic really.

Ugh, I'd happily forgotten about about Monologue McDaddyIssues, curse you for reminding me. Still one of the most misguided and tone-deaf representations of an iconic character in gaming history.

Are you implying that hearing long and drawn-out monotone monologues about her past boss isn't everything you ever wanted from Samus?

Front Mission 3 thing was weird, the game was good, I didn't finish it as I got it like years later on PS1 but the dialogue wasn't the best.

All the cast of FF13 besides Fang and Vanille, I actually liked them a little, well Fang at least because she didn't seem as 'emo kid' as the rest of these adults, the whole thing was a bit messy.

Star Ocean 4, all of them, that game hurts. The dialogue and sounds just ruined it.

Ryder from ME:A, basically a flat slate character with no personality.

Less cringe/just because they were bad but because the situation was messed up: By the end I did not like Joel, from Last of Us and because of Col Walker, I now disassociate myself with characters in games completely, I guess Spec Ops did it's job.

Last edited by The Fury - on 08 January 2019

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

9S from Nier Automata. It's clearly done purposely but gosh did I want to kick his sorry ass.

Arthur Morgan for not telling dutch his crew to fuck off . and this ones not a protagonists but kamoana from tales of berseria I wished I could toss her overboard everytime she started crying or talking

This has nothing to do with rewatching the movie yesterday but Tony Montana

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Mary Jane in Spider-Man. I just want to play Spider-Man dammit!

Also, while I don't have a problem with most of the Final Fantasy characters named in this thread, Vann was annoying as hell. He really wasn't the main character of the story either.

Platina said:
Luke from Tales of the Abyss, but at least he's redeemable

Was about to say.
He was intentionally made to be unlikable at the start though.

Some of the cast from FFXIII were pretty annoying as well. In particular Snow and Hope. And at one specific portion of the game during a scene that was very hard to buy, Sahz.

Bristow9091 said: 
omarct said: 
Final Fantasy 13
Worst offender was Lightning, but I disliked them all, with maybe Vanille being the least annoying as she was enjoyable to watch in more ways than one.

@Bristow9091
I'll share my thoughts here.
*Spoilers below*
I didn't have a problem with Hope's general attitude. That was understandable. The part I really didn't like was that he actually decided to murder Snow, even though she died doing what she wanted to do, while trying to save Snow. Even though he knows that Snow means well, and how remorseful he was. 

Which leads me to the second one, Sahz.

I really liked Sahz for 99.9% of the game. He was one of the highlights of the cast for me. But there was one scene, very similar to the one I just described, that I just didn't buy. It did not seem like something he would do.
I'm referring to when he considered putting a bullet through Vanille's head. Again, even though he knows what a nice person she is. Just because she, through no fault of her own really, happened to end up in an area where she become targeted by a L'Cie, who 'took it out' on Sahz's son.
That just seemed like a cheap attempt at inducing an emotional response with the audience, without building it up properly. I don't believe that Sahz is the kind of person who would consider executing Vanille for something like that, that she didn't mean to do, even for a moment. Let alone point a gun at her, no matter how grief struck he was. And if it really is something he would do, then in that case it ruined his character for me.

Last edited by Hiku - on 08 January 2019