Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Regarding Nintendo Handhelds, was the Switch concept inevitable?

Yes, with hardware specs growing more and more, keeping two distinct libraries at once was a waste of resources. Putting all their eggs in one basket makes a much stronger offering.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

We in forums and enthusiast internet subcultures basically designed the console for Nintendo with such detailed conceptualization.

China Numba wan!!

Mr Puggsly said:
SKMBlake said:

I don't understand your point, you said no then said pretty much what I said. Of course a 2011 device can run games with a more "modern" approach than a 10+ YO device. But we got Gamecube and Wii ports, even scaled down it shows that the 3DS is on par with the GC and Wii

I guess I'm saying 3DS/New 3DS still seems behind 6th gen consoles, it hasn't shown an ability to quite handle their most technically impressive 6th gen stuff. While RE:Revelations is impressive, it doesn't even have the scale of RE4. I'm on the ropes saying 3DS is at par with a Gamecube or even PS2, all I can say for certain is 3DS has some modern capabilities those devices don't. I say that as a person that has played a lot of 3DS and has a good collection.

Switch though, that's well ahead of 7th gen consoles. Its shown that time and time again.

But Monster Hunter 3U on 3ds for sure don't look really worse than Wii ver, and Wii MH3 is leagues head compared to MH graphic on ps2

No, it wasn't inevitable, of course they had other options.

But it was probably the best direction they could go and I'm glad they copied the best parts of PSP and Vita into the mix.

Wii U was a disgrace and killed Nintendo's home console ambition for good. Then a more powerful handheld that connects to TV was quite inevitable.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network

With their somewhat failure to compete with a console on a powerlevel equal to Sony and Microsoft's consoles and their huge success in the handheld-space, and rising development-cost i actually do believe it was inevitable that Nintendo would go this route with the Switch so they could focus on one device

Nothing to see here, move along

I think it has more to do with development time/cost rising to the point where it was no longer feasible to support two platforms at once.
Not only did they go from SD to HD with their home consoles but they also went from 2D to 3D with their handhelds and this caused their outout to significantly decline from DS/Wii to 3DS/Wii U.
If they struggled with supporting a PS3 level console and PSP level handheld than how would manage a PS4 level console and Vita level handheld?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

In hindsight, it does seem inevitable.  Graphically the SNES was so much better than the Gameboy.  But now I don't really care about graphical improvements anymore.  PS3 still looks really good to me.  Switch graphics are basically the same as PS4 graphics, I don't care what anyone says.  I doubt PS5 graphics will look significantly different either.

And when handhelds started using rechargeable batteries that was another big step, because now games could be longer.  There were a lot of little steps along the way, but now we are here at the culmination.  A dedicated home console is now mostly obsolete, not just for Nintendo, but for all of the companies.  I think that will become obvious a little after the PS5 and Scarlett release.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

In hindsight, it does seem inevitable.  Graphically the SNES was so much better than the Gameboy.  But now I don't really care about graphical improvements anymore.  PS3 still looks really good to me.  Switch graphics are basically the same as PS4 graphics, I don't care what anyone says.  I doubt PS5 graphics will look significantly different either.

Okay, and your opinion in graphic discussions will be worthless for many others in future discussions. They won't care what you say.

The Switch was the logical successor to the Wii and their declining handeld market due to the stiff new competition from iOS and Samsung. People like the Switch.

I think they had the idea for the Switch floating around by the Wii/DS generation. Maybe by 2008 when they realized that they were having dev-capacity issues and perhaps losing software sales as a result, but they kept with it because their hardware was so high that all their games they did release were selling incredibly, and they were getting fabulously wealthy over the next 4 years.

I don’t think Wii U having a screen had much to do with influence on the Switch. The assymetrical gameplay and “here you can look at a menu instead of wasting 0.125 of a second pressing a button to see it instead” were gimmicks to justify the fact that they only had half-ass levels of the Switch tech they wanted. Releasing the Wii U because they felt they needed a new console at that time, and that a simple Wii HD would not be enough. The Wii U was clearly not in development for long, it was rushed out with a lot of problems (clunkiness and tremendous load time going into games and navigating the OS - issues the Wii didn’t have).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.