By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Predict 2019 in gaming

Xbox One and PS4 Sales will decline (Price Cuts for Both)
PS5 and Xbox 4 will be announced
Nintendo Switch will announce a Lite Version as well as a minor price cut.
Nintendo Switch will have its best year in 2019 in terms of sales and software releases.
Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 will both release in 2019.
Nintendo will add SNES and N64 games to its Nintendo Online Service.
Nintendo Switch will add Netflix support.

Around the Network
ZS said:
Xbox one to be discontinued in Japan due to very poor sales

That seems unlikely. I imagine it's selling better in Japan than it is in Greece, yet nobody ever predicts that it will be discontinued in Greece...

8 core Zen 2 > 9900k.

My prediction in 2021.

SW: 30m

PS5 16m

XBS: 7.5m

Hehe...... prediction time

• Next Xbox to be revealed at E3. Alon the same way the XB1X was revealed. 
  • PS4 and XB1 gets official price cuts. Possibly to $199. Most likely around E3.
  • NS to sell around 18.5M - 19.5M consoles (sell through)
  • PS4 to sell around 15.7M consoles for the year and XB1 around 7M
  • TLOU2, GOT and Death stranding not released this year all to come around March, June and september in 2020.
  • Dreams, Days Gone  will make for Sonys main games of 2019 with a couple of other smaller titles.
  • PS5 will be revealed at PSX 2019. With an announced release date for March 2020
  • A lot of ignorant/click bait journalist will again claim console gaming is dying (because over 5 generations of console cycle data isn't information enough for them)

Sony & Microsoft:

-Sony will release a few first party PS4 titles, but the line-up won't be nearly as strong as 2018 first party.  Microsoft will release 0-2 first party titles for XB1 depending on how lucky their fans are.  Both consoles will continue to get strong third party support in 2019.
-Both companies will announce their next gen consoles in 2019.
-At least one of these companies will release their console during late 2019 or early 2020.

Nintendo
-Switch first party support will be somewhere in between 2017 and 2018 quality.
-Switch third party support is going to surprise a lot of people.  There will be about as many third party releases for Switch as 2017 and 2018 combined.  However, the quality of third party games is going to noticably better.  Expect more of multi-plat simultaneous releases.  Expect some third party exclusives.  Of course, there will still be some last gen ports and some multi-plat games that release on Switch later too.  Overall it's just going to be a lot of third party games of all kinds.
-Going with my above point, expect more than one Nintendo Directs with a "wow" factor.  Many people were "wowed" by Nintendo's September 2018 direct.  There will be more than one Direct in 2019 that is at least this good.  Expect Nintendo to release one of these "wow" directs during E3.
-Switch hardware sales are going to be up every single month YoY in every single region (Japan, NA, Europe, RoW).  The one exception to this may be December.  (See my next point.)
-Switch is going to be short supplied in December 2019.  In some areas they may be massively short supplied.  It will be very much like the Wii holidays during its first few years.  Expect the Switch to be that hot Christmas item that parents are desperately trying to get.

EDIT: I just want to add that peak year for Switch will be after 2019.  Either 2020 or 2021 will be peak year.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 04 January 2019

Around the Network

PS4 will sell 16M/16.5M units in 2019(thanks to a price cut in Sept), passing the 108M mark by end of 2019.
PS5 will be announced, and it will be a Monster.
X1 will sell slightly less, compared to 2018(like PS4); I'm not expecting a big decline.
XBox Scarlet won't be announced.
Switch will sell a bit more compared to 2018, but I'm not sure it will manage to beat PS4.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Nate4Drake said:
PS4 will sell 16M/16.5M units in 2019(thanks to a price cut in Sept), passing the 108M mark by end of 2019.
PS5 will be announced, and it will be a Monster.
X1 will sell slightly less, compared to 2018(like PS4); I'm not expecting a big decline.
XBox Scarlet won't be announced.
Switch will sell a bit more compared to 2018, but I'm not sure it will manage to beat PS4.

Interesting that you think Switch won't outsell PS4 in 2019. Considering it still might beat PS4 for 2018 (Almost guaranteed to beat PS4 in the US based on Projections, and demolished them in Japan.)

- Switch will sell 25m+

- Pokemon 2019 will get super hyped, but be bland, unambitious and lacking features from the 3DS games, as is Game Freak standard. (I hope I'm wrong, but nothing is indicating that I am)

- Town will actually be good, but will get drowned by getting released close to a much bigger game (Animal Crossing or Luigi's Mansion)

- Fire Emblem Three Houses is an April release, and will have three paths as in Fates, but intertwined much more smoothly. Gameplay in battle is along the lines of Conquest, but allows for grinding in between missions. Marriage and children will return.

- Animal Crossing will release in August, to great reviews and be a massive hit with ridiculous sales (25m+ LT)

- Luigi's Mansion releases in October. Will play more like the first game.

- Pikmin 4 releases in July. Olimar is back as the main character, has a treasure hunting focus like 2.

- Two of the remaining DLC characters are a DQ character (I'm hoping for Abel (the DQ V main) or Slime, but expecting Erdrick) and a gen 8 Pokemon

-Bayonetta 3 will come in September

- Metroid Prime 4 will have a big multiplayer focus, releases in November.

- Mario and Luigi RPG, codeveloped with Square, will be announced, will see the return of Geno and Mallow in some aspect.

Hey, I might as well throw a mad one in there, why not?

Games coming for me are Crackdown 3, Ori 2, Gears 5 and BATTLETOADS!

Also Metroid Prime 4!

zorg1000 said:
People will say console gaming is doomed because PS4/XBO start showing moderate decline in their 6th year.

That absolutely will not surprise me. A lot of people were saying the same thing back in 2010 to 2013 because console sales were in decline at the time. Of course, all the doomsayers completely forgot that the console market is cyclical:

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").