By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Predict 2019 in gaming

i have the feeling, that this could be the best year for ps4, watching what amazing games are still coming

Around the Network
Nate4Drake said:
drinkandswim said:

Interesting that you think Switch won't outsell PS4 in 2019. Considering it still might beat PS4 for 2018 (Almost guaranteed to beat PS4 in the US based on Projections, and demolished them in Japan.)

It depends on price-cut and big AAA PS4 titles which might be released in 2019.   They could be more close than you expect.

For 2018, PS4 should win in the Global. In US PS4 has been dominating all the year, apart for December, which is a very strong month for Nintendo. In Europe PS4 has dominated and litterally crushed Switch. About Japan, it is the smallest Market, and Sony seems to not care that much.  So what you have in a entire year, is Switch selling better in only one single month(December) in NA, better in Japan, the smallest market, and completely crushed in Europe.  Don't you agree ?

This is one of the strangest arguments I have ever seen, it includes a whole lot of deflection and things that simply dont matter.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

1. 2019 is the peak year for the Switch.

2. The Switch outsells the PS4 and XBO.

3. PS4 and XBO sales are down YOY.

4. Diskless XBO public opinion is mostly positive

5. Anthem gets reviews in the mid to low 80s but EA does not update it fast enough for playerbase to stay.

6. Sea of Thieves tops 10m players.

7. Gears 5 becomes the most popular Gears game multiplayer wise due to gamepass.

8. 360 BC and Gamepass come to Windows 10 around E3.

9. Division 2 sales fall short of Division 1 but ends up having longer legs due to it being a better game.

10. MS announces the next Xbox at E3 like they did for the One X in 2016.

11. Metroid Prime 4 becomes the fastest selling Metriod game.

12. Nintendo revives a old ip.

13. Death Stranding launches this year.

14. Next CoD is MW4 and it becomes the best selling game of the year.

15. Fornite is still the most popular game.

16. Fallout 76 becomes good after lots of updates.

17. Cyberpunk gets a release date.

18. Zelda remake coming to switch.

19. Pokemon 2019 has Lets Go catching system but also with battles.

20 Days Gone sells better than what most people expected.

Switch sells 25-30 million units in 2019 fiscal year due to Metroid Prime 4 (or whatever its called), Animal Crossing, main Pokemon Game launching as well as the most 3rd party support they've had in a single year in decades.

Nate4Drake said:
drinkandswim said:

Interesting that you think Switch won't outsell PS4 in 2019. Considering it still might beat PS4 for 2018 (Almost guaranteed to beat PS4 in the US based on Projections, and demolished them in Japan.)

It depends on price-cut and big AAA PS4 titles which might be released in 2019.   They could be more close than you expect.

For 2018, PS4 should win in the Global. In US PS4 has been dominating all the year, apart for December, which is a very strong month for Nintendo. In Europe PS4 has dominated and litterally crushed Switch. About Japan, it is the smallest Market, and Sony seems to not care that much.  So what you have in a entire year, is Switch selling better in only one single month(December) in NA, better in Japan, the smallest market, and completely crushed in Europe.  Don't you agree ?

I do agree with most of your statement. Its gonna be close on global. PS4 is projected to land at around 18.5 million. Switch was at 13 million global prior to December. So they need somewhere between 5.5-6 million global for December. They had about 1.2 million in Japan and estimates are as high as 2.5 million for US. That leaves Europe and the rest of the world as the unknown.

Around the Network
drinkandswim said:

Yeah I wouldn't say the Console market is doomed. It just needs to head toward Hybrid territory ala Nintendo. Cloud gaming will the next big thing. When that fully comes to fruition is unknown though. I do see a peak coming to the traditional console market coming and even Sony and Microsoft recognize it and are making adjustments accordingly.

MS & Sony don't need to release hybrid consoles. Conventional consoles have been doing just fine:

Four straight years of sales above 9 million units combined between the PS4 & XBO (and this year is sure to be five, likely over 10M), a streak that their predecessors from Gen 6 & 7 couldn't pull off. No need to fix what isn't broken. Also, going the hybrid route would mean going backwards in terms of power, because such a system will never be as powerful as what a dedicated home console released at the same time could do. The Switch is far closer to the 360 & PS3 in power than it is to the PS4 & XBO.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Shadow1980 said:
drinkandswim said:

Yeah I wouldn't say the Console market is doomed. It just needs to head toward Hybrid territory ala Nintendo. Cloud gaming will the next big thing. When that fully comes to fruition is unknown though. I do see a peak coming to the traditional console market coming and even Sony and Microsoft recognize it and are making adjustments accordingly.

MS & Sony don't need to release hybrid consoles. Conventional consoles have been doing just fine:

Four straight years of sales above 9 million units combined between the PS4 & XBO (and this year is sure to be five, likely over 10M), a streak that their predecessors from Gen 6 & 7 couldn't pull off. No need to fix what isn't broken. Also, going the hybrid route would mean going backwards in terms of power, because such a system will never be as powerful as what a dedicated home console released at the same time could do. The Switch is far closer to the 360 & PS3 in power than it is to the PS4 & XBO.

Do you think the Switch will sell over 6m in 2019 and if you do do you think it will be it's peak year. I've heard that Nintendo consoles usually peak early.

Also how down yoy do you expect the PS4 and XBO to be?

Shadow1980 said:
drinkandswim said:

Switch has 1 teraflop of performance. Base Xbox One 1.31 teraflops. Xbox 360/PS3 230 gflops approx.

https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/console-gpu-power-compared-ranking-systems-by-flop/2900-1334/

Last edited by drinkandswim - on 04 January 2019

drinkandswim said:
Shadow1980 said:

Switch has 1 teraflop of performance. Base Xbox One 1.31 teraflops. Xbox 360/PS3 230 gflops approx.

https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/console-gpu-power-compared-ranking-systems-by-flop/2900-1334/

No it doesnt and that's not how you compare power.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

jason1637 said:
Shadow1980 said:

Do you think the Switch will sell over 6m in 2019 and if you do do you think it will be it's peak year. I've heard that Nintendo consoles usually peak early.

Also how down yoy do you expect the PS4 and XBO to be?

2018 estimates

PS4 ~5.4m

NSW ~6.0m

XBO ~4.5m

I'm thinking in 2019 PS4 & XBO will have a 15-20% decline and NSW will have maybe a 5-10% increase.

PS4 ~4.5m

NSW ~6.5m

XBO ~3.7m