By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - To me, 2017 wasn't as amazing for the Switch looking back

melbye said:
You are drunk, go to bed

My thoughts exactly! 

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

Around the Network

Sales indicate there was something for everyone in both years. Hard to beat 2017 though. BEAST MODE!!!

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

I do agree with you that on hindsight even 2017 was a light year on number of releases, but is exactly the fact that 2 very good games launched so close to the start of its life that made 2017 memorable to owners.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I see your point. I bought way more games in 2018 than in 2017. But many people see that differently. They ignore indies, ports and smaller releases.

For me Octopath Traveler, Katamari Damacy, Civilization VI, Ys VIII, Child of Light and so on were great games. But looking at sales, BOTW, Mario Kart, SMO are monsters. So many think 2017 is better, because of a few big games, while I prefer 2018 with many smaller games.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Vodacixi said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

In North America the Gamecube had Luigi's Mansion, Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Monkey Ball, Pikmin, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, Super Mario Sunshine, Resident Evil REmake, Animal Crossing, Star Fox Adventures, Super Monkey Ball 2, Mario Party 4, Resident Evil 0, AND Metroid Prime (actually released on the one year anniversary in NA) as exclusives. It had third parties like Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, The Simpsons Road Rage, Gauntlet Dark Legacy, Pac-Man World 2, Spiderman, TimeSplitters 2, Medal of Honor: Frontline, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, and a lot of sports games, many of which were critically acclaimed (SSX Tricky, Tony Hawk etc). 

Even the limited ass library of the Nintendo 64 wasn't too shabby in it's first year - Super Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, Wave Race 64, Killer Instinct Gold, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, Goldeneye 007, Cruisin' USA, Blast Corps, and had third parties like Doom 64, Hexen, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, and Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. 

The Switch is not that out of the norm honestly. People seem to forget that great first years are kind of a given for Nintendo home consoles. Not saying it isn't the best year in console history, but if it is it's realistically not by that large of a margin. 

I mean... if you want to mention mid tier games too like Star Fox Adventure, Wave Race, Mario Party 4 and Resident Evil 0, let's add to the Switch: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Mario x Rabbids and Fire Emblem Warriors... heck, if you count Super Monkey Ball and Wave Race for the Gamecube, let's put FAST RMX and Snipperclips on the Switch list too xD

As for third party releases... The Simpsons Road Gage? Gauntlet Dark Legacy? Spiderman? Really? For the love of God, those game were mediocre at best. Road Gage is absolute trash. As for the Switch... DOOM, Skyrim, Rocket League, Super Bomberman R, Disgea 5, LEGO City Undercover, Sonic Mania, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2... plus all the indies in the world, plus the sports games.

All that being said... I may have gone to far saying "any console". I agree that Gamecube and N64 had a great first year. But at least you'll agree that those happened 18 to 23 years ago. How good PS2, Xbox, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS4 and Xbox One were on their first year? Not even close to what those consoles and the Wii had. The Switch absolutely blow away any recent console's first year.

I should save this for when people comparing PS4 and Switch sales first year try and say PS4 had a very strong lineup.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Vodacixi said:

I mean... if you want to mention mid tier games too like Star Fox Adventure, Wave Race, Mario Party 4 and Resident Evil 0, let's add to the Switch: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Mario x Rabbids and Fire Emblem Warriors... heck, if you count Super Monkey Ball and Wave Race for the Gamecube, let's put FAST RMX and Snipperclips on the Switch list too xD

As for third party releases... The Simpsons Road Gage? Gauntlet Dark Legacy? Spiderman? Really? For the love of God, those game were mediocre at best. Road Gage is absolute trash. As for the Switch... DOOM, Skyrim, Rocket League, Super Bomberman R, Disgea 5, LEGO City Undercover, Sonic Mania, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2... plus all the indies in the world, plus the sports games.

All that being said... I may have gone to far saying "any console". I agree that Gamecube and N64 had a great first year. But at least you'll agree that those happened 18 to 23 years ago. How good PS2, Xbox, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS4 and Xbox One were on their first year? Not even close to what those consoles and the Wii had. The Switch absolutely blow away any recent console's first year.

First of all, this comment sounds really passive aggressive. It also completely misinterprets the point. The point, as I said at the end, is that Nintendo's home consoles have had pretty strong first years for a long time now - and in that respect the Switch isn't out of the norm. The reason that people are acting like Switch's first year is out of this world mostly has to do with the fact that A ) Most forum users were either not "gamers" when the Wii/Gamecube/N64 launched or B ) Most forum users did not have the expendable income or market knowledge to be interested in or buy any games they wanted when these systems released. All I'm simply saying is that Switch's first year is not that out of the norm, all things considered it's pretty comparable to the N64, Gamecube, and Wii (though N64's lineup isn't the greatest, but it had a very small library overall) - and you don't even disagree with that, yet you're mocking my reply. 

Second, you're not acknowledging market differences. Sports games in the 6th generation were extraordinarily important releases, they were often some of the highest rated games on their respective platforms. Some sports franchises might sell more now, but that's mostly because of the increase in software purchases overall. Sports games now do not really command the same kind of respect they once did, so I have no idea why you're acting like they're just the same thing. A lot of the games I listed are not even out on Switch or do not permeate the market in the same way they once did. The same could be applied to you mocking Super Monkey Ball or Wave Race and comparing them to Fast RMX and Snipperclips. Both were bigger deals for their individual consoles in their individual generations than two indie games, but because software sales have grown so much and because those consoles did not sell well you can now look back and make that faulty comparison. Also, you don't seem to understand the reason I listed these games was not to make the Switch's library look worse - I quite literally was listing every exclusive that was known for being a well made quality title, I wasn't trying to "one up" Switch. A lot of the third party Gamecube games I listed were also big deals at the time, so just making fun of them because what you believe to be the quality now is nonsense.

You also don't seem to get that I made the list of current, at the time new releases. Stuff like Fast RMX, Lego City Undercover, Mario Kart 8 and DOOM are not new releases, although you're more than welcome to use them since they don't negate my point. And if you don't think Resident Evil 0 was a big deal at the time then I don't know what to say ...

Everything you've replied with is insinuating that Switch is more comparable to N64/Gamecube/Wii, which is my EXACT point! You're right that recent consoles have had bad first years - but let's put 2+2 together. N64 had a good first year, Gamecube had a good first year, Wii had a good first year, Wii U didn't, Switch did. What is the common trend? That - compared to other competitors - Nintendo home consoles have good first years. Wii U didn't because it was rushed and it was the Wii U, the amount of worthwhile games could fit on three hands at most. So yes, compared to other Nintendo home consoles, the Switch's first year is not so astronomically better that it isn't in the same ballpark. It absolutely is. But compared to most Playstation and Xbox launches - it's by far better. 

Talking on the sport games back at the time, Tony Hawks Pro Skater was a masterpiece on PS1, California Games was a must have on Genesis (as well as Fifa 95/96), Barcelona Olympics and Atlanta as well. Plus everyone in Brazil dearly remember International Super Starsoccer Deluxe (PES equivalent) and Ronaldinho Soccer 97 (a bootlegged version). Even Fifa Street have made waves during PS2 time.

I played a lot of sports games until gen 7. After it I don't even care about them, even though in Brazil PES and Fifa are still the type of game some people have the console to play exclusively.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 03 January 2019

Ganoncrotch said:
You say 2017 wasn't amazing looking back... but the year had Mario, Breath of the wild which just those 2 titles alone effectively best any year of either rival console so far, now in your OP you try to say that 2017 wasn't as good... because 2018 also has a lot of good games (blaz blue isn't out this year btw, think it's delayed til next) but still just because Switch has a good 2018 it doesn't mean that 2017 didn't get 2 GOTG in it tbh with you, the fact that 2018 also had good games is nice... but that doesn't take away from past achievements, they don't remove Gold medals from the last Olympics because people win races in the current one.

Also rocket league.... and Splatoon 2... heck even MK8D and Arms were last year... and Skyrim ... last year I mean 2017, god damn new year messing things up.

Nope Oddissey and BotW doesn't top GoW, SpiderMan, Detroit and RDR2 that released this year. And I'm pretty sure I could find other years that had more on the rivals than these 2 games if I were to look.

DonFerrari said:
Ganoncrotch said:
You say 2017 wasn't amazing looking back... but the year had Mario, Breath of the wild which just those 2 titles alone effectively best any year of either rival console so far, now in your OP you try to say that 2017 wasn't as good... because 2018 also has a lot of good games (blaz blue isn't out this year btw, think it's delayed til next) but still just because Switch has a good 2018 it doesn't mean that 2017 didn't get 2 GOTG in it tbh with you, the fact that 2018 also had good games is nice... but that doesn't take away from past achievements, they don't remove Gold medals from the last Olympics because people win races in the current one.

Also rocket league.... and Splatoon 2... heck even MK8D and Arms were last year... and Skyrim ... last year I mean 2017, god damn new year messing things up.

Nope Oddissey and BotW doesn't top GoW, SpiderMan, Detroit and RDR2 that released this year. And I'm pretty sure I could find other years that had more on the rivals than these 2 games if I were to look.

Gonna have to admit laughing out loud when I got to the 3rd on your list. I mean of the 4 games you listed 2 of them are in the 90% bracket one is 3% off being a yellow on Meta in comparison to the Switch offerings in 2017, heck even the Doom Port on the Switch rated higher than Detroit.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
DonFerrari said:

Gonna have to admit laughing out loud when I got to the 3rd on your list. I mean of the 4 games you listed 2 of them are in the 90% bracket one is 3% off being a yellow on Meta in comparison to the Switch offerings in 2017, heck even the Doom Port on the Switch rated higher than Detroit.

Yes I'm certain that Doom on Switch is a better game than Detroit... probably everyone here will agree with you.

Considering Zelda BOTW is one my favorite games of all time, the amount of time I spent on Arms and Splatoon 2, the number of great indies I played, and Odyssey. 2017 was better for me personally. I still think 2019
Will be best.