By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales Week 51 Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - December 17-23, 2018

tak13 said:
Eagle367 said:

Wait we are helping the 3ds in US because if we take profitability in the west, the switch just destroys the 3ds. So we are taking the lowest common denoidenomi in both cases and I feel that is being fair. What do you see in that which you think is wrong?

The wrong thing is that some people here behave like they won't care at all if NS sells as much as or a bit more than wii in Japan , so half of 3ds ( this is its potential as it is now ) because of the huge amount of profits that it will be making ( which in most cases matter more) , when they exculting on npd threads about sales difference between 3DS and NS.

There is a contradiction!

Talking about Wii, Switch is passing Wii numbers next week, Switch will destory Wii sales in Japan, Switch will easily be 20m+ seller in Japan. Like you can see on graph, only consoles that are selling faster than Switch in Japan were DS and 3DS, and Switch (with its launch price point of $300) is selling great despite DS and 3DS sold better in same time period.

Around the Network

Correct me if I'm wrong but between the PS4 and Switch doesn't the PD4 still hold the record for most units sold at launch?

@miyamotoo
You always mention the 3DS price cut but never mention the huge games it got just after. Many believe Nintendo prematurely panicked and sliced the price of the console too early when it would have sold extremely well after the big games released.

tak13 said:

It's amusing to see people that celebrate so much on npd threads about how much the home and handheld console NS outpaces the handheld console 3ds in the USA, while here they give prominence only to profitability...
Just admit it, ns has a problem in Japan, which in the long run will become more and more visible.
I had warned people to not expect more than 300k in the biggest week for sales, ns simply doesn't have that potential.
Some Japanese people haven't embraced the hybrid nature of ns and the value that this actuality offers unlike the majority of consumers in the west, they view it as an expensive handheld-only console.
Hence, you can't expect 3ds level weekly sales, smash bros just inflated the sales of the previous recent weeks ( you ignored the fact that it was released in the first week of holidays and let that to lead you to wrong conclusions).
Ns lite will come to the rescue!

Nope, not at all. Not even in the slightest!

3DS needed a 70$ pricecut to sell, even in Japan where handhelds flourish. And after it's 2 first years, 3DS sales started to tank considerably.

While I don't think Switch will be able to keep up with the 3DS next year, I'm very positive it will outsell every year after that one, crawling closer and closer to the 3DS total sales. It's a Marathon, not a sprint.

tak13 said:

It's amusing to see people that celebrate so much on npd threads about how much the home and handheld console NS outpaces the handheld console 3ds in the USA, while here they give prominence only to profitability...
Just admit it, ns has a problem in Japan, which in the long run will become more and more visible.
I had warned people to not expect more than 300k in the biggest week for sales, ns simply doesn't have that potential.
Some Japanese people haven't embraced the hybrid nature of ns and the value that this actuality offers unlike the majority of consumers in the west, they view it as an expensive handheld-only console.
Hence, you can't expect 3ds level weekly sales, smash bros just inflated the sales of the previous recent weeks ( you ignored the fact that it was released in the first week of holidays and let that to lead you to wrong conclusions).
Ns lite will come to the rescue!

Heh, 3ds at that time: $175, Switch at the moment: $300, see the different? It's amusing to see you forget or ignore this thing on purpose

You know I am sure Nintendo is really upset with the big problems they have in Japan. For example their complete domination of the Hardware and Software Charts every week.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:

@miyamotoo
You always mention the 3DS price cut but never mention the huge games it got just after. Many believe Nintendo prematurely panicked and sliced the price of the console too early when it would have sold extremely well after the big games released.

There is no point to mention that because 3DS start selling great moment got huge price cut, and no, 3DS wouldn't be sold extremely well without price cut, $250 for handheld was too much in any case.

Miyamotoo said:
Kerotan said:

@miyamotoo

There is no point to mention that because 3DS start selling great moment got huge price cut, and no, 3DS wouldn't be sold extremely well without price cut, $250 for handheld was too much in any case.

Didn't the price cut coincide with a huge game release followed by another big game soon after? 

Congrats Nintendo! They officially have the largest relevant Install Base in Japan. This will do wonders for Third Party games going forward!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/12/switch_has_outsold_the_original_and_slim_playstation_4_in_japan

Kerotan said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but between the PS4 and Switch doesn't the PD4 still hold the record for most units sold at launch?

@miyamotoo

PS4 launch-309,154

NSW launch-329,152

You are partially right, 3DS did get 3D Mario, Mario Kart & Monster Hunter in holiday 2011 and in 2012 it had a more steady flow of games so sales would have increased regardless, they just wouldnt have increased as much without the price cut and revision.

3DS sold 9.78 million in 2011+2012 and Switch will be around 6.8 million in 2017+2018. Without the year 1 price cut and year 2 revision, 3DS would probably be pretty similar to Switch.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Kerotan said:
Miyamotoo said:

Didn't the price cut coincide with a huge game release followed by another big game soon after? 

Price cut was in August, big games started releasing in Nov/Dec.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.