By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales Week 51 Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - December 17-23, 2018

Faelco said:
Jranation said:

Yep! That is like saying the PS3 is a failure because it did not beat PS2. 

And lets not forget. The 3DS needed a price cut early in its life. 

It wouldn't mean that it's a failure. But Nintendo merged its handheld with its home console, so it could be disappointing for them if the result was lower than the handheld alone. 

Quite different things, 3DS needed huge price cut only 6 months after launch in order to sell better and Nintendo was making loss with every sold unit in that time period, Switch still has launch price point and Nintendo is making profit with every sold units from launch, and in same time software sales are stronger. So despite 3DS was selling better than Switch in same time period, Nintendo is making more revenue and profit with Switch in any case.

Kerotan said: 
Jranation said: 

Likewise I'm sure the goal with the ps4 was to outsell the ps3 in Japan. Likewise I'm sure Nintendo would like the Switch to outsell the 3ds since it's replacing it and the Wii U. 

Keep on mind that 3DS had incredibly strong sales in Japan, its 3rd best selling gaming device ever in Japan (only DS and GB/GBC sold more), so selling more than 3DS alone not to mentione 3DS + Wii U in Japan is very hard in any case, but also that doesn't matter too much because Nintendo making more profit with Switch in any case and thats more important for company than selling more units.

Kerotan said: 
curl-6 said: 

Up massively from the Wii U/3DS era:

Yeah I knew it was up on the last gen. It will be interesting to see if they beat the gen before and become their most profitable gen ever. 

Probably no one will ever beat heights of Wii/DS, remember, Nintendo sold more than 255m units of hardware (both were selling with profit from start) and close to 2b units of software, with tons of console Wii addons like Wii remotes and similar..

Around the Network
Faelco said:
Jranation said:

It wouldn't mean that it's a failure. But Nintendo merged its handheld with its home console, so it could be disappointing for them if the result was lower than the handheld alone. 

In my opinion, that's what should happen when we watch the trajectories of handheld market and mobile market (first one is falling as hard as the second one is raising), but I guess Nintendo viewed the hybrid as a way to grow, not just fall slower.

Anyway, the Switch has very strong sales so far, we'll see how high it will go! 

Well, I think that total gaming hardware sales (both handheld and consoles) are on the way down anyway due to the aging and shrinking population of Japan, as both contribute to a lower potential number of customers, so comparing today's consoles with their historical heights may not be totally appropriate. Just to see how much they sold in the past, I went to check in July 10 years ago and the total consoles sold were almost 170k without any big releases and 3 consoles consistently above 40k (PSP, DS and Wii) weekly sales, which are what the Switch sells more or less on normal weeks outside holidays or bigger releases

curl-6 said:
Kerotan said:

Yeah I knew it was up on the last gen. It will be interesting to see if they beat the gen before and become their most profitable gen ever. 

That's a very tall order, the glory days of the Wii/DS were the most profitable era for a console manufacturer in the history of gaming.

Anyways, it would be better for Nintendo to from now on do consistently well profits wise in the long term. Rather than chase the short term but record breaking success of the Wii/DS era that didn't last.

Are we expecting the Nintendo Switch to pass 10 million units sold in Japan in 2019? It would only have to sell around 3.2 million which is already less than what Switch did in 2017 and 2018 with objectively lesser overall line-ups than 2019's (so far) for the Japanese audience.

I guess it will be more of a race to see how soon in the year it can do it. Though I don't expect any earlier than during the holiday season. (Unless maybe November if Switch does get it's first price-drop/revision in 2019)

Last edited by Green098 - on 27 December 2018

Green098 said:

Are we expecting the Nintendo Switch to pass 10 million units sold in Japan in 2019? It would only have to sell around 3.2 million which is already less than what Switch did in 2017 and 2018 with objectively lesser overall line-ups than 2019's (so far) for the Japanese audience.

I guess it will be more of a race to see how soon in the year it can do it. Though I don't expect any earlier than during the holiday season. (Unless maybe November if Switch does get it's first price-drop/revision in 2019)

I think animal crossing will be a great factor on that, with that and pokemon I would predict 4,5 M in Japan or something similar (also yokai watch), this years problem was spring / summer with no big announcements it didn't sell very well in Japan

Around the Network

It's amusing to see people that celebrate so much on npd threads about how much the home and handheld console NS outpaces the handheld console 3ds in the USA, while here they give prominence only to profitability...
Just admit it, ns has a problem in Japan, which in the long run will become more and more visible.
I had warned people to not expect more than 300k in the biggest week for sales, ns simply doesn't have that potential.
Some Japanese people haven't embraced the hybrid nature of ns and the value that this actuality offers unlike the majority of consumers in the west, they view it as an expensive handheld-only console.
Hence, you can't expect 3ds level weekly sales, smash bros just inflated the sales of the previous recent weeks ( you ignored the fact that it was released in the first week of holidays and let that to lead you to wrong conclusions).
Ns lite will come to the rescue!

Last edited by tak13 - on 27 December 2018

xAcEx said:
Yesterday, I bought shares from Nintendo. The stock is very cheap right now and its in the price included, that Nintendo wont reach their Switch sales goal. But I dont think the Analysts have included these amazing software sales.
I also expect that the Mario Kart Mobile-Game will be a big success.

Are here more shareholders of Big N? :)

From Canada and don't understand how I can buy shares from Nintendo. Any help will be appreciated

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

tbone51 said:
Switch first 2 years are more profitable than 3ds whole life
. Japan or WW. Switch can stop at 40mil WW and its already more successful. We just use previous numbers for HW as a benchmark

Is that valid or your usual hyperbole?

Has any direct comparison been done? I mean excluding wii u for obvious reasons. 

tak13 said:

It's amusing to see people that celebrate so much on npd threads about how much the home and handheld console NS outpaces the handheld console 3ds in the USA, while here they give prominence only to profitability...
Just admit it, ns has a problem in Japan, which in the long run will become more and more visible.
I had warned people to not expect more than 300k in the biggest week for sales, ns simply doesn't have that potential.
Some Japanese people haven't embraced the hybrid nature of ns and the value that this actuality offers unlike the majority of consumers in the west, they view it as an expensive handheld-only console.
Hence, you can't expect 3ds level weekly sales, smash bros just inflated the sales of the previous recent weeks ( you ignored the fact that it was released in the first week of holidays and let that to lead you to wrong conclusions).
Ns lite will come to the rescue!

Wait we are helping the 3ds in US because if we take profitability in the west, the switch just destroys the 3ds. So we are taking the lowest common denoidenomi in both cases and I feel that is being fair. What do you see in that which you think is wrong?

I feel the last week of switch will be bigger than people expect, especially with 24th in there