By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which do you think is the better JRPG as a whole, Xenoblade 2 or Octopath?

Both are fantastic JRPG experiences and offer something different to the medium as a whole. With that said however, Xenoblade 2 once it gets going is the superior experience.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Super_Boom said:
I've only played the demo of Octopath, but unless the demo doesn't accurately represent the game itself, I'd put Xenoblade 2 ahead by a country mile. Amazing characters, compelling narrative, great soundtrack, and incredibly addicting combat system pushed this game into my top 10, and including Torna into the package boosts it even higher. I loved it so much I'm already planning on a 2nd playthrough this year, it's that good.

Octopath had a fun combat system, but I already felt it getting rather repetitive already after however long the demo let me play. The characters didn't really leave enough of any impression on me either...seemed like typical stock fantasy stuff...but maybe that changes as the story goes on.

The demo does not give you anywhere close to the full experience the game has to offer in terms of strategy and what each story has to offer.  It gives a small taste, but there is a lot for to it than any of yhe chapter ones the game has to offer.  In fact, it is chapter 2 that the plots begin yo thicken.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Mar1217 said:
Torna > Octopath = Xenoblade 2

Is Torna really that great? It's an honest question, I'm debating on whether I should get it or not.

OT: Xenobureido 2 in my opinion.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Mar1217 said:
LipeJJ said:

Is Torna really that great? It's an honest question, I'm debating on whether I should get it or not.

OT: Xenobureido 2 in my opinion.

A better cast, better combat system and a plot that gets going way faster than the main game. Also ... the ending ...

Thanks! That's all I needed to hear, I'll be definitely getting it until February.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Despite my issues with the game, Xenoblade 2 no doubt, ton more heart and soul than Octopath.

Deltarune better than both tho

Around the Network
ARamdomGamer said:

Despite my issues with the game, Xenoblade 2 no doubt, ton more heart and soul than Octopath.

Deltarune better than both tho

As much as i partly disliked the first game, that can also be because of me playing it on the 3ds so when i get a switch i will give the second game a try and hope to enjoy it more.

Xenoblade 2, but Octopath is also a great game.

XC2, but Octopath is also a great game. If the battles in Octopath Traveler were faster it would have been a tougher choice but in my opinion the battles take way too long.

Super_Boom said:
I'd put Xenoblade 2 ahead by a country mile. Amazing characters, compelling narrative

Are you sure you're not refering to the first Xenoblade Chronicles? The second one has none of those...

I have finished Xenoblade 2 (110 hours) and have not yet finished Octopath (3 of 8 story completed, all the other 5 in final chapter, around 50h of play).

I enjoyed both game but they are not in the same catgory. Ocopath is charming and refreshing game, old school RPG with beautiful artstyle and a lot of towns and secret to find. Xenoblade 2 on the other hand is a masterpiece with an amazing world, amazing story and characters, and an incredible gameplay. It's on a much bigger scale than Octopath.

It's the game I enjoyed the most on Switch (I played Zelda on Wii U). I bought Torna but have yet to play it, I will complete Octopath first. But Xenoblade 2 is such a great game already.