By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which do you think is the better JRPG as a whole, Xenoblade 2 or Octopath?

Xenoblade 2 is one of the best games I've ever played. Octopath was good.

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network

XB2.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Octopath, but XC2 is just.. something else. It's just really fun overall and quite the world to explore.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

abronn627 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Both main game and Torna are parts of Xenoblade 2 so...

The difference in term of gameplay and progression justify the separation like he did.

If I would judge which one is better between XB2 and OT by just looking at the gameplay, I would say Octopath, but with the changes in Torna, I would put the expansion at the same level as Octopath.

Doesn't change that they are both XB2, one is the main game, one is prequel story.

I enjoyed both, but I put way more time into Xenoblade 2 and plan to go back. Octopath I really liked, but once I beat it I feel it's time to move on.

HoangNhatAnh said:
abronn627 said:

The difference in term of gameplay and progression justify the separation like he did.

If I would judge which one is better between XB2 and OT by just looking at the gameplay, I would say Octopath, but with the changes in Torna, I would put the expansion at the same level as Octopath.

Doesn't change that they are both XB2, one is the main game, one is prequel story.

I don’t disputes that, but both can be played independently and there’s enough differences in term of gameplay for the standalone expansion to be set appart from the main game for some people.

Around the Network
abronn627 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

I don’t disputes that, but both can be played independently and there’s enough differences in term of gameplay for the standalone expansion to be set appart from the main game for some people.

OK

Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Octopath is too repetitive and its map design is far too linear. After getting to mission 3 of most of the cast, I quitted. I was sick of doing the same bloody thing over and over.

That being said, Xenoblade 2 is far from perfect. Its characters and story are pretty disappointing at many times and its side quests are boring, frustrating and they feel like they never end, Also, Field Skills are a pain in the ass (as it is having to unlock Legendary Blades by pure randomness). Luckily for us and for the game itself, it has a terrific combat system, a gorgeous world with many different locations to explore and one of the best soundtracks ever created.

I've only played the demo of Octopath, but unless the demo doesn't accurately represent the game itself, I'd put Xenoblade 2 ahead by a country mile. Amazing characters, compelling narrative, great soundtrack, and incredibly addicting combat system pushed this game into my top 10, and including Torna into the package boosts it even higher. I loved it so much I'm already planning on a 2nd playthrough this year, it's that good.

Octopath had a fun combat system, but I already felt it getting rather repetitive already after however long the demo let me play. The characters didn't really leave enough of any impression on me either...seemed like typical stock fantasy stuff...but maybe that changes as the story goes on.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

I thought xenoblade chronicles to be lacking on a lot of things( story,world,quests,combat) so is the 2nd one better?

Xenoblade 2 has better combat, and exploration. Octopath's combat just isn't very challenging. There are other turn based games like Etrian Odyssey that have really challenging combat. In one battle you had to fight a boss that had two exploding minions next to him. He would summon two every turn, and eventually do a foot stomp that would cause them to explode and wipe your entire party except for the tank. You couldn't take out these minions fast enough, so instead you had to either bind the bosses' feet or use a one time tank move to withstand the stomp attack. Ultimately it was a race against time to take out the boss before he could get the opportunity to foot stomp. So you had to blitz his HP down to zero while also dealing with these little bomber minions that constantly respawned, and trying to keep his feet tied down, and keeping your last resort tank shield ready.

Xenoblade 2 on the other hand has some pretty challenging combat, because it is a real time fight with no time to think through things.

I loved Xenoblade 2's winding areas with all the hidden secrets, and wonky geography. It is just so much fun to be able to see a place on the map, but not know how to get there. Then you eventually find a shortcut or a skill to go back and unlock a new portion of an area that you thought you had fully explored. It's the metroidvania style of level design. Meanwhile Octopath is just a bunch of linear spokes on a giant wheel of paths.