By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What's the point in having children?

CladInShadows said:

Pumping milk can be an option to allow you to take part in the feeding ritual.

The problem is that babies tend to prefer bottle feeding to breast feeding, as it is easier to get the milk out of the bottle.  So, the currently accepted "best practice" is to try to avoid using a bottle at all for as long as possible, so that they baby gets used to the breast.  The idea being that you can get the baby to be cool with both the breast and the bottle if you get him hooked on the breast first.  If he gets the bottle right away, apparently, he'll be more likely to reject breast feeding altogether.  At least, that's what the experts say.  

Certainly, the baby will be bottle feeding soon enough.  But, at first, theoretically, we'll be doing breast only. And, in that case, I'm of no use for feeding.  I'm skeptical this will actually work though.  So, maybe we'll be on the bottle within a few days anyway.  

Around the Network
CladInShadows said:
SvennoJ said:

Our youngest had acid reflux for the first 5 years and couldn't sleep well on his back (or rather not flat at all) in the first couple of years. We came up with the solution that I would stay up until 4 or 5 in the morning with him sleeping on my lap in a semi upright position. Then my wife got up and I got some sleep. I've finished many video games with him sleeping on my lap. It was so peaceful I miss it now. Slower games were perfect for that, for example Valkyria Chronicles.

One thing that made things easier in a way is that breast feeding didn't work very well so he was on formula a lot earlier than we wanted to. Which meant I could feed him during the night. I've given up on reading though, can't read while tired.

My little girl has horrible reflux.  She quite often vomits if she's on her back.  Usually comes out her nose and she goes rigid and screams.  I'm told it's usually something that goes away in a few months, but if not, it could be a fairly difficult thing to deal with. I'm seriously considering that video game solution though. I do normally get up at 5:30 or so to get ready for work, so it might be a situation where I get up at 2AM instead and just sit there with her and game.

I hope she gets better soon. It can take a long time as it did with our son. Since I'm seeing a chiropractor weekly anyway we got him to go along on a discounted plan for the first 3 years. That helped with his digestive tract. Putting him in bed was not really an option, just screaming in pain and all rigid. It was so bad a lot of his baby teeth rotted from the acid and they had to put him under at the hospital to fix his teeth. He's all better now, still a very picky eater yet doing great otherwise.

Hopefully I haven't turned him into a psychopath after many long nights of Dark Souls with him on my lap :)

VAMatt said:
CladInShadows said:

Pumping milk can be an option to allow you to take part in the feeding ritual.

The problem is that babies tend to prefer bottle feeding to breast feeding, as it is easier to get the milk out of the bottle.  So, the currently accepted "best practice" is to try to avoid using a bottle at all for as long as possible, so that they baby gets used to the breast.  The idea being that you can get the baby to be cool with both the breast and the bottle if you get him hooked on the breast first.  If he gets the bottle right away, apparently, he'll be more likely to reject breast feeding altogether.  At least, that's what the experts say.  

Certainly, the baby will be bottle feeding soon enough.  But, at first, theoretically, we'll be doing breast only. And, in that case, I'm of no use for feeding.  I'm skeptical this will actually work though.  So, maybe we'll be on the bottle within a few days anyway.  

The experts, yeah. We call them the breast feeding police. First time one of them breast feed warriors came to the house lecturing us on the benefits. That made my wife feel very guilty pushing through worsening Mastitis in both breasts until she couldn't anymore. A miserable mother in pain every time the baby tries to latch on is no good either. Plus he was losing weight, so that settled that.
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170503-are-there-downsides-to-breast-is-best

A happy mother is a happy baby, works both ways.

SvennoJ said:
CladInShadows said:

My little girl has horrible reflux.  She quite often vomits if she's on her back.  Usually comes out her nose and she goes rigid and screams.  I'm told it's usually something that goes away in a few months, but if not, it could be a fairly difficult thing to deal with. I'm seriously considering that video game solution though. I do normally get up at 5:30 or so to get ready for work, so it might be a situation where I get up at 2AM instead and just sit there with her and game.

I hope she gets better soon. It can take a long time as it did with our son. Since I'm seeing a chiropractor weekly anyway we got him to go along on a discounted plan for the first 3 years. That helped with his digestive tract. Putting him in bed was not really an option, just screaming in pain and all rigid. It was so bad a lot of his baby teeth rotted from the acid and they had to put him under at the hospital to fix his teeth. He's all better now, still a very picky eater yet doing great otherwise.

Hopefully I haven't turned him into a psychopath after many long nights of Dark Souls with him on my lap :)

So would you recommend chiro?  I'm always a little hesitant.

SvennoJ said:
VAMatt said:

The experts, yeah. We call them the breast feeding police. First time one of them breast feed warriors came to the house lecturing us on the benefits. That made my wife feel very guilty pushing through worsening Mastitis in both breasts until she couldn't anymore. A miserable mother in pain every time the baby tries to latch on is no good either. Plus he was losing weight, so that settled that.

Breast feeding is a contentious subject.  My wife felt the pressures of that as well.  She simply does not produce much in the way of milk, though.  So she quickly said fuck that, and we've been on bottle pretty much since the beginning.

Around the Network
CladInShadows said:
SvennoJ said:

Of course my chiropractor recommends it lol. It helps me tremendously and it seemed to help him as well. We were going weekly, actually he was going twice a week. We were on a family plan and my wife took him on Monday to both get adjusted and I took him on Thursday's.
https://www.livingandloving.co.za/baby-blog/6-chiropractic-benefits-babies
It helps with colic, which he was struggling with.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 27 December 2018

CladInShadows said:
SvennoJ said:

Breast feeding is a contentious subject.  My wife felt the pressures of that as well.  She simply does not produce much in the way of milk, though.  So she quickly said fuck that, and we've been on bottle pretty much since the beginning.

Good decision. The horror of pumping for an hour for a little bit of milk, then being so tired and sore from the stitches (c-section) to spill it all on the way to the fridge... That was not a good time. One of the draw backs in having children 'late' in life. We were in out thirties when the first was born.

To pay for my retirement. Without a generation to follow us, we will literally be working till we die.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

SvennoJ said:
CladInShadows said:

Of course my chiropractor recommends it lol. It helps me tremendously and it seemed to help him as well. We were going weekly, actually he was going twice a week. We were on a family plan and my wife took him on Monday to both get adjusted and I took him on Thursday's.
https://www.livingandloving.co.za/baby-blog/6-chiropractic-benefits-babies
It helps with colic, which he was struggling with.

Yeah, I was specifically referring to the baby.  The wife has mentioned chiro, but I'm very hesitant.  I have had first hand experience with chiro as an adult, and while I think it works well for back pain and issues, I also know that chiropractors tend to think it cures everything.  And I'm very skeptical of alternative medicine, of which chiro does straddle the line a bit. And given the fragility of my daughter (both were preemies, and my daughter was the reason they came out as early as they did, at 3 pounds, 4 ounces), I'm naturally skeptical of this.

Last edited by CladInShadows - on 27 December 2018

Imagine in your old age you are screwed with syncope, lighheadedness, fatigue and you wished someone helped you out if not for siblings or partner who is no more....the very thought of being alone can wreak havoc upon one's stability to the core. Either having them under commune or family might mean something. I have always been thinking of this being single yet and trying to outwit hormones hijacking intelligence.