By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What's the point in having children?

SvennoJ said:
CladInShadows said:

Breast feeding is a contentious subject.  My wife felt the pressures of that as well.  She simply does not produce much in the way of milk, though.  So she quickly said fuck that, and we've been on bottle pretty much since the beginning.

Good decision. The horror of pumping for an hour for a little bit of milk, then being so tired and sore from the stitches (c-section) to spill it all on the way to the fridge... That was not a good time. One of the draw backs in having children 'late' in life. We were in out thirties when the first was born.

Same.  We had a hell of a time conceiving, and as a result, we're also in our late 30s.  This was kind of our final attempt before considering adoption.  But luckily, our first round of IUI fertility treatment was successful.  Doubly so.

So the wife had a c-section, the babies were born 6 weeks early, and other things that can come from having your first pregnancy so late in life.  Totally worth it though when I look down at two healthy little creatures.

Around the Network
CladInShadows said:
SvennoJ said:

Of course my chiropractor recommends it lol. It helps me tremendously and it seemed to help him as well. We were going weekly, actually he was going twice a week. We were on a family plan and my wife took him on Monday to both get adjusted and I took him on Thursday's.
https://www.livingandloving.co.za/baby-blog/6-chiropractic-benefits-babies
It helps with colic, which he was struggling with.

Yeah, I was specifically referring to the baby.  The wife has mentioned chiro, but I'm very hesitant.  I have had first hand experience with chiro as an adult, and while I think it works well for back pain and issues, I also know that chiropractors tend to think it cures everything.  And I'm very skeptical of alternative medicine, of which chiro does straddle the line a bit. And given the fragility of my daughter (both were preemies, and my daughter was the reason they came out as early as they did, at 3 pounds, 4 ounces), I'm naturally skeptical of this.

They might embellish it a tad, yet out of personal experience it does more than cure back pain. For one it really stimulates the digestive system as I always have great bowel movements after the chiropractor lol. It did calm our baby down a lot. It's not a miracle cure, but it does help. However it helps as a regular thing, so it can be quite expensive, and it did not cure the acid reflux.

My chiropractor does go pretty far with the no need for pain meds and natural health products. I rather take Advil than drink some expensive tea hoping it will dull the pain a bit.

SvennoJ said:

One of the draw backs in having children 'late' in life. We were in out thirties when the first was born.

I'm 38 and the wife is 39, and we're on our first (likely only) child.

I had a friend several years ago that had her first child at 40.  She specifically told me not to wait that long, as it's a lot harder to handle all the stuff that goes along with a kid when you're older.  Clearly, I didn't listen, and I'll have to learn the hard way.  

VAMatt said:
SvennoJ said:

One of the draw backs in having children 'late' in life. We were in out thirties when the first was born.

I had a friend several years ago that had her first child at 40.  She specifically told me not to wait that long, as it's a lot harder to handle all the stuff that goes along with a kid when you're older.  Clearly, I didn't listen, and I'll have to learn the hard way.  

That, and you'll be 60 by the time they move out, if you're lucky lol. Hopefully my kids don't wait that long so we can still enjoy grand children. Time for us to pressure our children into having kids! Atm it's all that newfangled school math that's stumping us. Math was very different when we were kids.

SvennoJ said:

Atm it's all that newfangled school math that's stumping us. Math was very different when we were kids.

Side note - that newfangled math is exactly the way I've always done it in my head.  I had problems in school often because I did math in my head, and couldn't write it out and show my work the way the teachers wanted.  Now, they switched it to exactly the same way I wasn't allowed to do it when I was in school.  

With that said, I do not think that the new style is better than the old ways.  It happened to work well for me because I did it in my head.  But, it seems unnecessarily difficult to write it out the new way.  I guess most math is real life is done in one's head though.....

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
SvennoJ said:

Atm it's all that newfangled school math that's stumping us. Math was very different when we were kids.

Side note - that newfangled math is exactly the way I've always done it in my head.  I had problems in school often because I did math in my head, and couldn't write it out and show my work the way the teachers wanted.  Now, they switched it to exactly the same way I wasn't allowed to do it when I was in school.  

With that said, I do not think that the new style is better than the old ways.  It happened to work well for me because I did it in my head.  But, it seems unnecessarily difficult to write it out the new way.  I guess most math is real life is done in one's head though.....

That's true, it's a lot like making change.

What math do you actually use in real life:
- Making change is going away, tap to pay, pay by phone, who uses cash anymore. I do for coffee, that's about it.
- Calculating tax and tips in your head, very useful!
- Unit conversions, living in a country that uses all units it's pretty necessary.
- Square meters / square footage for home improvement stuff.
- Diagonal dimensions to width / height for 16:9 displays, always need that!
- Time estimates to get somewhere, although google maps will tell you.
That's about it.

I did finally use algebra when playing Elite Dangerous. Fun to calculate at which velocity I should engage the engines to stop in time, given a certain starting height, max engine thrust and known g factor of the planet below. Then trust my 200 million credits ship on my math, start free fall and stop 10 meters above the surface. Adrenaline rush lol.

VAMatt said:
SvennoJ said:

I'm 37 and my wife is 39. Things will be interesting for sure.

VAMatt said:
SvennoJ said:

You did not have to listen ,there are also people that are able to handle it better at an older age.

Runa216 said:
Kslost said:
I think some people have more children to get more government money.

When browsing forums I tend to poke my head into random threads with the intention of reading the replies until I get to one so foolish it makes my brain peace out. 

Congratulations; this post is what made my brain give up on this thread and stop reading! 

But it is the truth, in the UK and Sweden immigrants do it for the gov money.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

m0ney said:
Runa216 said:

When browsing forums I tend to poke my head into random threads with the intention of reading the replies until I get to one so foolish it makes my brain peace out. 

Congratulations; this post is what made my brain give up on this thread and stop reading! 

But it is the truth, in the UK and Sweden immigrants do it for the gov money.

I heard people saying that,they never even come close or know anything about immigrants and just repeat what others say.

Its easy to be closeminded.