By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Sam Harris Drops Patreon - Other Creators Follow

Errorist76 said:
o_O.Q said:

sargon of akkad is not right wing

its very scary that anyone who is not pc and for increasing government substantially is now automatically right wing... very scary indeed

You call that „not PC“. I call it racist. Tbh THAT‘s what is scary to me!

well i was speaking generally, not about what sargon of akkad wrote

but regardless what exactly was racist about that passage?

at this point "You act like white n*****s" its pretty clear that he's not using that word to target a racial group, so can you clarify for me where you see racism?

Around the Network

Taking what the guy said out context just to call him a racist. Such damning evidence. The guy was directing those racial slurs at literal Nazis, kinda like how I call homophobes "gay" to their faces because it drives them mad. Am I a homophobe now?

I don't have a problem with Patreon de-platforming Sargon by the way, all I see here is an opportunity for a competitors to compete with Patreon and leverage what happened to their advantage.

Hats off to Sam Harris, who had one of the top grossing-accounts on Patreon. I also didn't realize Sam Harris needed an introduction, but maybe me being a big fan made me think he's a well-known person.

SpokenTruth said:
o_O.Q said:

so rappers aren't allowed on patreon? why are you discriminating against black people like that?

Are you really going to be this ignorant right now?  Seriously?  Do you have no understanding whatsoever of context, relevancy and purpose?

yes i do and amusingly i'm thinking the same thing as i'm reading your post

what was the context for this comment we are discussing? explain it for me

was sargon attacking a black man over the internet while wearing a white hood?

what exactly was the context?

SpokenTruth said:
o_O.Q said:

was sargon attacking a black man over the internet while wearing a white hood? what exactly was the context?

Let's see.  Sam Harris is white.  He used a bunch of racial and homophobic slurs.  Is that not against the TOS?

Sam Harris huh? You have no idea what happened and what you're even discussing do you?

SpokenTruth said:
o_O.Q said:

was sargon attacking a black man over the internet while wearing a white hood? what exactly was the context?

Let's see.  Sam Harris is white.  He used a bunch of racial and homophobic slurs.  Is that not against the TOS?

"Sam Harris"

"Sam Harris is white."

why are you discriminating on the basis of race? you do understand that this is racism?

"He used a bunch of racial and homophobic slurs."

as do rappers, why are you discriminating against rappers( who are generally black )? this is racism

the funniest thing here surprisingly is that which is not said... you had to drop the argument about context

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
o_O.Q said:

"He used a bunch of racial and homophobic slurs."

as do rappers, why are you discriminating against rappers( who are generally black )? this is racism

the funniest thing here surprisingly is that which is not said... you had to drop the argument about context

Did you just say I dropped context while you actually just did drop context?

A racial slur is pejorative given its contextual use.  A black man calling himself the N word is not pejorative.  A white man using the N word is pejorative...even if it is other white people he is using the word upon.  Further, it's a means of suggesting racial superiority and the white N's are acting like the lesser race.

Can't believe you said I dropped the context angle when it's central to the whole issue.

"Did you just say I dropped context while you actually just did drop context?"

i'm making the point that if we for example allow rappers to make exceptions given a lack of malevolent intent then to be consistent we would have to do the same here?

how are you not understanding something so simple?

"A white man using the N word is pejorative"

no matter the context?

multiple white men in this very thread have typed "nigger", you do understand that you are calling them racists as a result of that right?

"Further, it's a means of suggesting racial superiority"

but only if a white person says it? ok

"Can't believe you said I dropped the context angle when it's central to the whole issue."

because you are not applying it consistently and amusingly you are discriminating based entirely on race constantly and can't see your own hypocrisy

vivster said:
betacon said:

Ooo he was inciting actually racist by calling them something they utterly hate?

This guy doesn't sound smart enough to actually use satire. In fact, if he was smart he wouldn't have phrased it in that way in the first place. The last sentence is pretty damning as well. But whatever fits your rhetoric I guess.

So your assumption he's not smart enough for X so therefore racist. Clear as day he was mocking the white nationalist but you know rhetoric and shit. I also find it amusing that anyone that disagrees with the ban must be right winged

Soundwave said:
Won't someone think of the racists *sobs*

I do not know Sam Harris but i hope you are not talking about Jordan peterson here because that would make your comment insanely misinformed.

Chris Hu said:
Mr Puggsly said:

No, Patreon is for people to monetize the content they create.

Or for some of us, to support people who create content the media tries to silence.

And they monetize their content because they don't have regular jobs that pay them enough to get by.  Which isn't the case with Harris he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth he always had good paying regular jobs and on top of that I'm pretty sure he made a fair amount of money from all the books he wrote.  So again my point is valid there was never a reason for him to start a patreon account to begin with.

No, this isnt Uber or some side hustle.

Its more like allowing people to create their passion project. People on Patreon also leave their real jobs to work on projects people are willing to fund. For example, I give money to a few podcasts run by people who couldnt operate otherwise, certainly not as a full time thing. Some claim they made more money with real jobs but they enjoy the passion project more.

Sam Harris is again making a point. He may not need Patreon but he's removing himself from the platform and potentially losing money to make a point. Im not really praising his decision but he deserves credit for encouraging people to use other platforms for raising money. We need competition espeically the market leader is banning people unfairly.

Last edited by Mr Puggsly - on 21 December 2018

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

o_O.Q said:
Puppyroach said:

But isn't that exactly the case with the baker? He refused service because of his beliefs, not because they broke some kind of agreement .Patreon at least clarifies that when you sign up, you accept their position (even though I don't agree with it). And stop using incorrect words like fascism, even I as a non-english speaker knows that is not related to this situation at all.

Society is never all-or-nothing, that is why we make judgements. There is a difference between discrimination based on how you were born and what opinions you have squired, but it's up to society to decide whether or not that discrimination should be treated equally or seperate. The same goes with free speech: according to your reasoning there shouldn't be any punishment if I shouted "bomb!" in a cinema, I'm just practicing my free speech? Ofcourse there are differences, what liberals often do is to actually discuss things that we accept today compared to things that we don't accept that were obviously acceptabel in the past. That doesn't mean everything changes, but we need to discuss and debate things in society and not always agree.

" And stop using incorrect words like fascism"

fascism is the suppression of opposition by an authority figure... how else do you define what is happening here?

" but we need to discuss and debate things in society and not always agree."

how is that achieved by suppressing people who we disagree with? as is happening here?

Because you need the government (the authority) to enforce that suppression...

What is your opinion on the NFL previously punishing players who took a knee? My opinion is that the NFL has the right to make that choice since it is their business and they need to regulate sometimes. I also agree with those who then decides to boycot matches to force the NFL to change practices, just as Harris is boycotting Patreon.

And once again, Harris has not been supressed in any way. How do we know this? We are talking about in a forum, it is all over twitter and if he would´ve wanted, he could contact newspapers, stand on a public square, colect names in protest. But all of a sudden we mix government and private entities together, just because we live in a social media world where we feel entitled to other people´s private space.

And what is your reasoning regarding is someone shouts "bomb!" in a cinema and cause chaos? Should that be perfectly fine?