By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Among the big Japanese publishers, is Nintendo the least creatively risk-averse?

Yeah they lack innovative IPs and only a few new ones surface every decade

Around the Network

They need to take risk. Nintendo can't compete with two monster companies like Sony and Microsoft in terms of price and power.
If you can read the book Nintendo give the first day employees you realize they have risk in their dna as company.

"Every day I look in the mirror and ask myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?". If the answer is no for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something"

Steve Jobs

Nintendoes what Publishuns

ResilientFighter said:

Why do you need new IPs when one IP can be used in fighting games, strategy games, plattform games, racing games, soccer games, golf games, tennis games, rpgs, puzzle games etc. 

New IPs is not the same as innovation. 

ResilientFighter said:

Well that's just factually incorrect. Last 10 years we've had xenoblade series, splatoon series, labo, arms, codename steam, wonderful 101, pushmo series, steel diver, art academy, Dillon rolling western, ever oasis, snipperclips, octopath traveller, sushi striker.

Next year has daemon x machina, town.

I didn't name everything here. The quality of some of these games is debatable but they cover a wide variety of genres and gameplay styles. I think we need to put to rest this nonsense that Nintendo don't make new ips.

Around the Network
pikashoe said:
ResilientFighter said:

Well that's just factually incorrect. Last 10 years we've had xenoblade series, splatoon series, labo, arms, codename steam, wonderful 101, pushmo series, steel diver, art academy, Dillon rolling western, ever oasis, snipperclips, octopath traveller, sushi striker.

I didn't name everything here. The quality of some of these games is debatable but they cover a wide variety of genres and gameplay styles. I think we need to put to rest this nonsense that Nintendo don't make new ips.

But then most if not all of those games were made with token change and not big budget, so the risk was very low.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Baddman said:

There are over 130 megman titles.  Mario has over 200 i think. Not as much. But definitely whoring  and the games weren't even that successful 

I wouldn't ever imagine more than 20-30 Megaman games, even more because there are always people asking for more. Talk about unremarkable.

Gamers could probably pull from memory 100 Mario games though.

Not sure what you're trying to say but I owned more than 50 Megaman games which is more than any other IP before a fire took it all away :(

Nintendo is easily the most risk averse big publisher as far as home consoles market goes. The sheer lack of new IPs by Nintendo is astonishing.

Sahib said:
Nintendo is easily the most risk averse big publisher as far as home consoles market goes. The sheer lack of new IPs by Nintendo is astonishing.

I'll point you to my previous post to show you how ridiculously wrong you are.

pikashoe said:
ResilientFighter said:

I agree with your point however ... Octopath Traveler doesn't count as it's not owned nor created by Nintendo, neither does Daemon x Machina. Some of these they're publishing but that's not really the same thing, unless you want to claim Nintendo owns Dragon Quest

Also I don't think there's really anything risky about a lot of these projects, most of them you listed are very low budget titles that would make an easy return. I think something like Sony's Last Guardian or even Days Gone (mostly because the developer has no real pedigree) is a lot more risky.