By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Eagle367 said:
EricHiggin said:

If the UK leaving would hurt them so badly that the people would beg to return to the EU, the EU would just let them go. 3-5 Years of slightly less power in the EU would be well worth it to get the UK back into the group, and locked in tight with even less leverage than before.

The reason the EU wouldn't want this, is because there is a good chance the UK will be just fine, and when other fed up EU nations and their people see that, they will push to leave as well.

Aren't they doing that right now though? Like with the deal they are offering, it seems like they want no deal in essence

It's either UK 'splits' and has no say in the EU, yet is still subject to the EU in certain ways for a period of time, or the UK makes a clean break period. If the EU were willing to make good deals with the UK, then they would just break off, but that's obviously not the case, so clearly the EU is trying to use leverage to keep the UK from leaving, which isn't a surprise.

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
Eagle367 said:

Aren't they doing that right now though? Like with the deal they are offering, it seems like they want no deal in essence

It's either UK 'splits' and has no say in the EU, yet is still subject to the EU in certain ways for a period of time, or the UK makes a clean break period. If the EU were willing to make good deals with the UK, then they would just break off, but that's obviously not the case, so clearly the EU is trying to use leverage to keep the UK from leaving, which isn't a surprise.

Or it could be the EU teaching the UK a lesson. Something like the EU saying, "You say we're a monster, so we're gonna show you what a real monster is". If the EU gave a good deal to the UK, it would mean the EU took the UK seriously and that would just be inviting other people to leave the EU. You gave a good deal to the Brits, so now it's our turn 

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

EricHiggin said:
Eagle367 said:
You guys are stuck in a shitstorm either way. The Europeans in UK will suffer and so will The brits, scotts etc outside of UK in EU. The irish will suffer without a deal and might even with a deal. If you get a deal, the best you'll get is that you'll still essentially be in the EU, just without any proper power this time. If you leave without no deal, it's gonna be tough roads ahead. You are not getting a better deal whether the incompetent tories go or any other party. The 2 real options are no deal or new referendum. Your gov didn't inform the people of the real implications of leaving and now you must go through this painful transition period. It might be a worthwhile struggle that makes you stronger as a nation afterwards or it might be a useless effort that weakens you, I can't say. But I don't think you should just accept whatever offer is given to you because that would mean you are a somewhat pathetic nation and degrade your dignity and respect further in the world

If the UK leaving would hurt them so badly that the people would beg to return to the EU, the EU would just let them go. 3-5 Years of slightly less power in the EU would be well worth it to get the UK back into the group, and locked in tight with even less leverage than before.

The reason the EU wouldn't want this, is because there is a good chance the UK will be just fine, and when other fed up EU nations and their people see that, they will push to leave as well.

Thanks, I really needed a good laugh.

There's no chance in a Trillion years that UK will come out unscathed from a hard Brexit.

@bolded: Yeah, no more rebates for the UK this time. But apart from that, I doubt much would change from before Brexit.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Pyro as Bill said:

We have more of the top universities than all of the EU combined. Hell, even Australia, Canada, Singapore and Hong Kong do. Hmmm I wonder if they have anything in common.

Our financial sector leaving London for Paris or Frankfurt has been one of the funniest claims in this whole Brexit game. It epitomises how deluded EU-ers are.

@bolded: What does it have to do with Brexit? And where can I see those rankings?

Our high end manufacturing/tech sector is directly related to our universities.

https://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2018/jun/07/top-200-universities-in-the-world-2019-the-table

https://www.4icu.org/top-universities-world/

Not all the financial sector of course, but a substantial part of it will do/is on the way already - like I said, those who went to London specifically to be at a financial center somewhere in the EU, and that ain't just a few banks

Our financial sector is going nowhere, even though I personally wish much of it would.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Wyrdness said:
EricHiggin said:

Not all deals are always in place. Many countries, like the US in the past, would threaten using leverage, but then fold and offer money instead, if they even threatened in the first place.

If the UK would have remained hard and kept it's foot on the gas, it would 'own' NA. They went soft and ever since they've paid the price, yet the world looks at leaders like Trump and wonders why he's such a hard ass. Collective strength because people somehow think wanting more for doing less is a good idea. Problem is it comes with consequences that are worse than the benefits.

That's like saying the 'relationships' within the US haven't been abusive, and that Trump became President solely because... Russia? 'Nobody' saw that coming, just like 'nobody' saw Brexit coming, just like 'nobody' could have predicted what's going on in France right now.

How leaky does the faucet need to get before someone realizes that means there's a problem and it needs to be solved sooner than later or it'll just get worse?

UK didn't get soft the rest of the world caught up and became just as hard trust me NA would have destroyed us regardless because one it costs a lot of resources to maintain an empire and two no nation will ever have enough to maintain and keep hold of empires that's why so many countries rapidly obtained independence as it was costing far more to have and maintain the empire than to not have it, the UK would have collapsed trying to keep it running so the same outcome would have happened if the UK tried to be hard as you put it only the nation would be in a much weaker state today than it is. Collective strength isn't about doing less it's accepting that in the long run you have more relevance than trying to go it alone.

Brexit had clear signs because for years parties like the BNP and UKIP have blamed the EU for the UK's problems when many of them were our own design and fault the Tories further added to this with the referendum as a gamble to beat Milliband while using the EU as a negative against Labour, our media for years have also been blaming the EU so the seeds were already sown it's no different to Trump getting elected as Hilary wasn't a popular choice either so the Democrats actually gave Trump the best chance he had by backing her. EU is not perfect but it's far from abusive.

You don't solve a leaky facet by smashing the sink with a sledge hammer and having no idea on how to repair it, you need an actual plan.

It costs a lot but that never stopped them before for the most part. They made it to the White House and then basically backed off because they felt they proved their point. Did they?What's the greater cost now? Taking the easy route back then so they have to cave due to weakness now, or fighting back then so their stronger now? Team America, world police? Collective strength in war maybe, but not in business and politics. That's where collectively you do less and make more.

"Abusive" was the analogy but isn't exactly the best word to describe the political issues at hand, but I think you get the point.

If an electrician tells you that you have a problem with your sink, you should get a second opinion from an actual plumber. If the plumber tells you it needs to be fixed, hiring anyone but a plumber isn't the greatest idea. Hiring a cheap plumber will likely get you a cheap temporary fix. Hiring Trump as your 'plumber' will fix those problems but create new one's.

Around the Network
Eagle367 said:
EricHiggin said:

Or it could be the EU teaching the UK a lesson. Something like the EU saying, "You say we're a monster, so we're gonna show you what a real monster is". If the EU gave a good deal to the UK, it would mean the EU took the UK seriously and that would just be inviting other people to leave the EU. You gave a good deal to the Brits, so now it's our turn 

Yes. The EU will make things hard on the UK on purpose, to make an example of them. Hopefully is causes the UK to fold and remain, or exit and fail. If the other nations get out of line, they will know what they potentially face this way, so they are likely to stay put. If the EU cared about the UK and it's people and democracy, it would fold and make it easy for them, but they aren't. Who's the good guy and who's the bad guy?

Bofferbrauer2 said:

While highly unlikely, it could technically used as a Casus Belli

I missed this. You do realise we have nukes?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Bofferbrauer2 said:
EricHiggin said:

Thanks, I really needed a good laugh.

There's no chance in a Trillion years that UK will come out unscathed from a hard Brexit.

@bolded: Yeah, no more rebates for the UK this time. But apart from that, I doubt much would change from before Brexit.

Living and choosing has no consequences, no matter how minor. Everything is always perfect, no matter what. Not sure why this is so funny... ?

Pyro as Bill said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

While highly unlikely, it could technically used as a Casus Belli

I missed this. You do realise we have nukes?

Who does the US and CAN support in this situation? Hmm...

Pyro as Bill said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

@bolded: What does it have to do with Brexit? And where can I see those rankings?

Our high end manufacturing/tech sector is directly related to our universities.

https://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2018/jun/07/top-200-universities-in-the-world-2019-the-table

https://www.4icu.org/top-universities-world/

I think you missed the part where only 1 out 5 is actually a British student in those Universities

The second list only ranks by popularity, not any academic virtue