By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, when is Persona 5 going to be announced & released for the Switch?

Thechalkblock said:
i’m guessing it’ll be released relatively early next year, as a surprise announcement alongside the release of the smash bros joker dlc

Nintendo does like to do the "Available now" release date

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

If it's going to happen, it's bound to be next year. I'm guessing it'll be the 2nd half of the year. Maybe in late summer or fall perhaps?

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

The announcement is coming tomorrow at 4pm EST. I heard it from a guy that heard it from a guy who made it up.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Vodacixi said:

Persona is not Final Fantasy and Joker is not Cloud.

Final Fantasy is one of the biggest videogame franchises ever. And its history is linked to Nintendo. Cloud is the most famous character in the franchise, so even if FF VII has not been in a Nintendo platform before, its inclusion in Smash makes sense.

Persona is not nearly as popular or iconic as Final Fantasy. Also, it hast little to no links to Nintendo. And Joker is not close to being the gaming icon that Cloud is.

So, Joker being in Smash doesn't make any sense as things are right now, while Cloud being in Smash 4 is totally understandable. If Joker is coming to Smash, Persona is coming to Switch. It's the only logical reasoning behind Joker's inclusion.

Well, Cloud was in 5 games on Nintendo systems before Switch came out and Persona Q2 3ds have Joker as one of main characters. Smash rule for 3rd party character: appear at least one time on Nintendo platforms

Really? You think Cloud got in because of theatrhythm and Final Fantasy Explorers? Are you really going to go that way just to avoid admiting he and Final Fantasy being a huge gaming icon and FF being borned and having half of its mainline games on Nintendo were the actual reasons for it? Ok, keep it up dude...

And for you and everyone else throwing the Persona Q argument: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. A niche JRPG that has never had any links with Nintendo suddenly has a character in Smash Bros. because of a spin off most people (even Persona fans) didn't even remember it existed? Yeah, that's totally it. You solved the case, Columbo...

Hiku said:

And Joker is in Persona Q2, so he is already on a Nintendo system.
That said, I think P5 has a good chance of ending up on Switch. If they're already working on the port, it may be revealed when Joker gets a proper reveal trailer, or the day he is released.
If not, then the popularity of the Joker DLC may sway Atlus/Sega to do it.

Well, in the official announcement teaser they are advertising it with "JOKER from Persona 5!" instead of "JOKER from Persona Q2!" or "JOKER from the Persona series!", so the chances aren't too bad that Persona 5 will get ported (and perhaps even "goldened") to Switch.

I'd probably double dip on "Persona 5 Golden", it seems to be a good fit for the system which wouldn't need much downgrades. And I love Persona games on the go, I already have Persona 2 - 4 on my Vita.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Nintendo would not bother to advertise a character of a game that doesn't appear on a Nintendo console,

Cloud wasn't really on a Nintendo console when he was announced in 2014, aside from guest character appearances.
So I don't think that reasoning is true. In Sakurai's own words:

The character must carry game history with them.
Besides that, it might be something like a courtesy to include a character who has the experience of being on a Nintendo platform.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/
He described it as something of a "courtesy", not a requirement, that the character has experience of being on a Nintendo platform.

And Joker is in Persona Q2, so he is already on a Nintendo system.
That said, I think P5 has a good chance of ending up on Switch. If they're already working on the port, it may be revealed when Joker gets a proper reveal trailer, or the day he is released.
If not, then the popularity of the Joker DLC may sway Atlus/Sega to do it.

"Cloud wasn't really on a Nintendo console" Are you sure? Chain of Memories, Recoded, Theatrhythm FF, Theatrhythm FF Curtain Call, FF Explorer

Vodacixi said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Well, Cloud was in 5 games on Nintendo systems before Switch came out and Persona Q2 3ds have Joker as one of main characters. Smash rule for 3rd party character: appear at least one time on Nintendo platforms

Really? You think Cloud got in because of theatrhythm and Final Fantasy Explorers? Are you really going to go that way just to avoid admiting he and Final Fantasy being a huge gaming icon and FF being borned and having half of its mainline games on Nintendo were the actual reasons for it? Ok, keep it up dude...

And for you and everyone else throwing the Persona Q argument: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. A niche JRPG that has never had any links with Nintendo suddenly has a character in Smash Bros. because of a spin off most people (even Persona fans) didn't even remember it existed? Yeah, that's totally it. You solved the case, Columbo...

Doesn't change the fact they use that to make excuse about putting Cloud and Joker into Super Smash. It also follow Smash rule: appear at least one time on Nintendo platforms whether that game is big or niche. Also, not just Final Fantasy Explorers,  Theatrhythm FF or Theatrhythm FF Curtain Call, he was on Chain of Memories and Recoded too. Not sure if P5 come to Switch or not, but also be careful what you wish for, perhaps SMTV will come to ps4 in exchange and with Sony censorship policy about nudity/sexual scenes in JP games, no doubt the Switch ver will be the same as ps4 ver.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Vodacixi said:

Doesn't change the fact they use that to make excuse about putting Cloud and Joker into Super Smash. It also follow Smash rule: appear at least one time on Nintendo platforms whether that game is big or niche. Also, not just Final Fantasy Explorers,  Theatrhythm FF or Theatrhythm FF Curtain Call, he was on Chain of Memories and Recoded too. Not sure if P5 come to Switch or not, but also be careful what you wish for, perhaps SMTV will come to ps4 in exchange and with Sony censorship policy about nudity/sexual scenes in JP games, no doubt the Switch ver will be the same as ps4 ver.

Umm... no. They didn't use that excuse at all for Cloud or Joker. People on the internet did. And it's a dumb excuse.

Take any character of Smash Ultimate. Any. And tell me with a straight face that it doesn't belong to a Nintendo franchise, nor is a gaming icon or doesn't belong to an incredibly popular series. I dare you.

Joker is literally the only one that doesn't fit the roster. Unless Persona 5 comes to the Switch that is.

And please... Cloud existance in all those 5 games is so secondary I'm even surprise you're throwing this at me. Definetley, Cloud is not in Smash because the importance of FF, the history with Nintendl and him being the face of the franchise. No, those are nonesense. They put him in because of two rhythm games where he displays not a single sign of personality, a skin in a wannabe portable MMO and two brief appearances in KH portable spin offs, one of which is the worst game in the series. Yeah, that's why he's in.

About SMT V on PS4/5... I don't care.

I don't get why some are mentioning censorship happening on the Switch version. I also don't get why some people don't believe there will be a Switch version. Portable Persona has always outsold regular ones, do you think Atlus won't take their shot again?

Last edited by MasonADC - on 15 December 2018

Persona 5 stays a PS exclusive like all persona main titles
A Persona Q2 character is the only persona the nintendo switch gets

Last edited by ResilientFighter - on 15 December 2018