By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DF : Ark Survival Evolved on Switch - 360p (docked) / 216p (handheld) goodness!

Would you be proud to launch a game like this?

yes 11 20.37%

no 43 79.63%

Total:54
KBG29 said:
Kirin_gaming said:

When this port was announced I was one of the people that mentioned how unoptimized this game was on PC. I didn't expect the port to turn out like this though...At least this game answered a question many people had, yes you can port any game to the Switch as long as you lower the resolution enough. FFXV and RDR2 @ 144p are an actual possibility now.

I was looking at it on the bright side as well. If this title that runs at like 640p/20-30fps on PS4/XBO can make its way to Switch at 240-320p/20-30fps, then there is no reason GTA5/RDR2/FFXV/KH3, which should/are all 1080p/30, can not make their way to Switch, and in better shape than this. 

Personally, I appreciate these devs for puting this out. I see it as a "What's your excuse?" kind of throw down to other devs/pubs. Obviously not for everyone, but Arc fans should be happy the game is on the Switch. As a fan of being able to play where you want to play, I am glad this exists. 

If I was going to play this game on a Portable, I would still stick with Remote Play on PS Vita from my PS4 Pro, but, if Remote Play goes away with PS5, it would be nice knowing I can still get new AAA games in a portable form factor with Switch.

I think it is quite the opposite, like a bad thing with "look at what happens when you try to port demanding games to Switch" even if the console is not at fault here.

curl-6 said:

Frankly it's appalling this was even allowed to be released in this state, especially for $50. This is like selling a forty year old, broken down car that's been rusting in a paddock for years as "slightly used second hand car, just $10,000!"

Did this go through any quality control, like at all? What muppet looked at this and said, "yeah, that's good enough"?

Perhaps we all should've seen this coming seeing as the game struggles even on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, but still, this is just unacceptable, would've been better off just cancelling it. Some devs can't seem to code their way out of a wet paper bag.

Now imagine PUBG port.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

curl-6 said:

Frankly it's appalling this was even allowed to be released in this state, especially for $50. This is like selling a forty year old, broken down car that's been rusting in a paddock for years as "slightly used second hand car, just $10,000!"

Did this go through any quality control, like at all? What muppet looked at this and said, "yeah, that's good enough"?

Perhaps we all should've seen this coming seeing as the game struggles even on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, but still, this is just unacceptable, would've been better off just cancelling it. Some devs can't seem to code their way out of a wet paper bag.

Now imagine PUBG port.

Honestly it really gives me the shits when horribly coded games like Ark and PUBG become popular, because it sends the message that "hey, why bother actually putting the effort into making a quality product when people will buy your unoptimized mess of a game as it is?"

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Now imagine PUBG port.

Honestly it really gives me the shits when horribly coded games like Ark and PUBG become popular, because it sends the message that "hey, why bother actually putting the effort into making a quality product when people will buy your unoptimized mess of a game as it is?"

I fully agree even if people are entitled to like shit

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Why did they even bother...

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Now imagine PUBG port.

Sometimes I think if games arnt well made or rushed, they deserve to crash & burn.
Sometimes they dont, even though their rushed and buggy they still sell..... and honestly it sucks, when there are so many other games more deserveing.

Around the Network

I love it the realistic graphic turn into cartoon canvas like Zelda Breath of The Wild. Probably going to buy it. Nintendo games always have such awesome art.

Ok, for once I will agree this is just too bad of a resolution and fps. Normally I don't care but my goodness.

Barozi said:

While not as drastic, similar results could be seen if devs ported other games to Switch that aren't targeting 1080p 60FPS on PS4/X1.

Wolfenstein II isn't 1080/60fps on Xbox One, it's 810p, yet it was ported to Switch fairly well.

OlfinBedwere said:
KBG29 said:

I was looking at it on the bright side as well. If this title that runs at like 640p/20-30fps on PS4/XBO can make its way to Switch at 240-320p/20-30fps, then there is no reason GTA5/RDR2/FFXV/KH3, which should/are all 1080p/30, can not make their way to Switch, and in better shape than this. 

It's really going to depend on the specific engine a game uses. idTech and Unreal Engine 4 both work quite well on the Switch, and so should any PS3/360-era engine so long as it can be ported from PowerPC to ARM. On the other hand, there's apparently not a hope in hell that Frostbite will ever work on the Switch, and most of the other major engines are still up in the air.

The Frostbite thing seems more a matter of willingness than capability; that engine ran on the Xbox 360.

Burn it with fire!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
Burn it with fire!

That won't be enough. Through it into the fires of Mt Doom. It's the only way to be sure. Or you know, take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.

It's just depressing that such an abomination can exist in this day and age. It's a cash grab of the worst sort.