By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DF : Ark Survival Evolved on Switch - 360p (docked) / 216p (handheld) goodness!

Would you be proud to launch a game like this?

yes 11 20.37%

no 43 79.63%

Total:54
Kirin_gaming said:

When this port was announced I was one of the people that mentioned how unoptimized this game was on PC. I didn't expect the port to turn out like this though...At least this game answered a question many people had, yes you can port any game to the Switch as long as you lower the resolution enough. FFXV and RDR2 @ 144p are an actual possibility now.

I was looking at it on the bright side as well. If this title that runs at like 640p/20-30fps on PS4/XBO can make its way to Switch at 240-320p/20-30fps, then there is no reason GTA5/RDR2/FFXV/KH3, which should/are all 1080p/30, can not make their way to Switch, and in better shape than this. 

Personally, I appreciate these devs for puting this out. I see it as a "What's your excuse?" kind of throw down to other devs/pubs. Obviously not for everyone, but Arc fans should be happy the game is on the Switch. As a fan of being able to play where you want to play, I am glad this exists. 

If I was going to play this game on a Portable, I would still stick with Remote Play on PS Vita from my PS4 Pro, but, if Remote Play goes away with PS5, it would be nice knowing I can still get new AAA games in a portable form factor with Switch.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
Why bother to launch it with this kind of performance? And I thought Wolfenstein was a forced port...

And yet Wolfenstein II ended up being one of the best games released this year on the Switch, unlike this muddy game.

KBG29 said:
Kirin_gaming said:

When this port was announced I was one of the people that mentioned how unoptimized this game was on PC. I didn't expect the port to turn out like this though...At least this game answered a question many people had, yes you can port any game to the Switch as long as you lower the resolution enough. FFXV and RDR2 @ 144p are an actual possibility now.

I was looking at it on the bright side as well. If this title that runs at like 640p/20-30fps on PS4/XBO can make its way to Switch at 240-320p/20-30fps, then there is no reason GTA5/RDR2/FFXV/KH3, which should/are all 1080p/30, can not make their way to Switch, and in better shape than this. 

Personally, I appreciate these devs for puting this out. I see it as a "What's your excuse?" kind of throw down to other devs/pubs. Obviously not for everyone, but Arc fans should be happy the game is on the Switch. As a fan of being able to play where you want to play, I am glad this exists. 

Uhm.. the visual fidelity lost much much more than only resolution in this one..

KBG29 said:
Kirin_gaming said:

If I was going to play this game on a Portable, I would still stick with Remote Play on PS Vita from my PS4 Pro, but, if Remote Play goes away with PS5, it would be nice knowing I can still get new AAA games in a portable form factor with Switch.

I would look at it the opposite way. Both the optmized and the unoptimzed game have to go through quite the compromise to run on the Switch all the same, but the unoptimized game would be a better fit, since it means that, presumably, it could still be improved upon with less difficulty.

Frankly it's appalling this was even allowed to be released in this state, especially for $50. This is like selling a forty year old, broken down car that's been rusting in a paddock for years as "slightly used second hand car, just $10,000!"

Did this go through any quality control, like at all? What muppet looked at this and said, "yeah, that's good enough"?

Perhaps we all should've seen this coming seeing as the game struggles even on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, but still, this is just unacceptable, would've been better off just cancelling it. Some devs can't seem to code their way out of a wet paper bag.

Around the Network

Wow this is a real difference, similar to xb360/ps3 vs Wii last gen. They shouldn't have bothered with the switch version

They should outsource this dung heap to a company that knows how to optimize for the Switch. Just look at what Panic Button achieved.

SKMBlake said:
Darwinianevolution said:
Why bother to launch it with this kind of performance? And I thought Wolfenstein was a forced port...

And yet Wolfenstein II ended up being one of the best games released this year on the Switch, unlike this muddy game.

I agree. Wolfenstein was prefects playable and after the patches it received it looks really good now. It's only resolution whores that are really uppity about the Switch port.

KBG29 said:
Kirin_gaming said:

It's really going to depend on the specific engine a game uses. idTech and Unreal Engine 4 both work quite well on the Switch, and so should any PS3/360-era engine so long as it can be ported from PowerPC to ARM. On the other hand, there's apparently not a hope in hell that Frostbite will ever work on the Switch, and most of the other major engines are still up in the air.

This is just sad. We have seen far more demanding games run on Switch without issue. The devs should be ashamed of themselves with this port, but considering it was a dumpster fire on other platforms too we should not be suprised. I guess I just did not expect it to be THIS bad.

Kinda wondering why Nintendo would even allow a port like this on their end as well. This is a worse port job than WWE2k17...

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261