By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - From a pure conceptual perspective, which is the better "Gimmick controller", Wii U Gamepad, or Joy-Con?

Now, let's disregard thoughts and opinions on things comfort, aesthetics and build quality, and view through purely a conceptual perspective, which console has the better "Gimmick Controller" The Wii U Gamepad, or the Switch Joy-Con? First, let's establish what these controllers are.

The Wii U Gamepad is the Wii U's main controller, with it's main hook being the 6 In. 480p touch screen in the middle, that can be used in various ways. You can play most games off the TV so long as you're in range of the console. You can view secret info and perspectives during multiplayer games that other players can't see, and you can even use both it's screen and the TV Screen for various dual screen applications, such as throwing ninja stars. Combined with it's motion sensors, mic, camera and touch controls, and in theory, the Wii U Gamepad sounds like a surefire hit, allowing for a lot of gameplay possibilities

On the other hand, the Joy-Con are a bit less outlandish, owing a lot of their design to the Wii Remote and Nunchuck combo. At home each Joy-Con rests in a dedicated controller grip. Sliding them onto the Switch console, and taking it out of the dock, let's you play in handheld mode for the vast majority of titles. When detached, you can hold each Joy-Con in one hand, or pass one to a friend for multiplayer games. The Joy-Con also feature advanced motion sensors, HD Rumble, and an IR motion camera that can detect various shapes, images, and gestures. Combined with the console's touch screen and general portability, the Joy-Con gives the Switch a lot of versatility in how games can be both controlled and presented.

Conceptually speaking, the Joy-Con are the clear winner in my eyes. The Wii U GamePad had some nice ideas, but most games didn't bother using half of what it offered, and instead just used it for Off TV play, or in the case of shooters and action games, a map. I think the main problem with the gamepad, is that the concept of dual screen gaming in a living room console setting really doesn't work. With a DS, you have both screens in your field of view, but you can only focus on one screen at a time with the Wii U, so that made games like Star Fox Zero an absolute nightmare to play, because now you have to juggle your focus between two de-synced displays in a fast-paced setting. On top of that, you can only use one gamepad at a time, and you couldn't even buy one in stores. I will give the gamepad this though, asymmetrical multiplayer is one of the better uses of it's potential, and is a concept that deserves to be explored more. The ability to play games off TV is also nice, though the range is rather limited.

The Joy-Con meanwhile is a far more appealing controller. If you're familiar with the Wii Remote and Nunchuck, you'll feel at home with the Joy-Con. Ignoring all it's tricks, it's as conventional of a controller as you want it to be. And their detachable nature allows for a lot of flexibility and comfort in gameplay, and since many Switch games allow for at least gyro controls, they actually feel useful in most games. The main thing I like about the Joy-Con though is that although it has a lot of tech, all of it feels useful. The Gamepad had so much useless garbage stuffed into it from a camera, to a sensor bar for the Wiimote, a TV button, an unused expansion port and a Mic. Almost none of it was necessary. With the Joy-Con, everything feels like it has a reason for being there. From passing a Joy-Con to a friend for Mario Kart in Tabletop mode, to feeling the texture of the different actions with HD Rumble, and even the IR camera has its purpose with Nintendo Labo. It's also a much more intuitive and less intimidating controller than the GamePad. A single Joy-Con is very easy for even people who don't play console games to grasp, while the Gamepad was a daunting and confusing nightmare for some.

TL;DR - The Joy-Con IMO, are conceptually a much better designed, and more appealing gimmick controller than the Gamepad. It's less bloated, and is far easier to understand for those who don't play a lot of games. Plus, they're perfectly adequate as a conventional controller in either handheld mode or the grip.

Around the Network

Joy-Cons are an evolution of the Wii Remote which makes them 100x than the Wii U gamepad which was a half-baked idea from the start.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

In terms of versatility, accessibility, and comfort, Joy-Con is your winner. In terms of gameplay possibilities, the GamePad, with its asymmetrical multiplayer opportunities, is the more interesting device.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
In terms of versatility, accessibility, and comfort, Joy-Con is your winner. In terms of gameplay possibilities, the GamePad, with its asymmetrical multiplayer opportunities, is the more interesting device.

Side note: You can technically recreate the asymmetrical multiplayer concept on Switch using local Wireless. One Switch stays docked, while the other is used in Handheld mode. 

Neither are really selling a system. Both have some OK features.

The main thing about the Switch is it takes the Wii U concept further by actually putting the chip into the tablet so it's not anchored to the living room. But Switch is clearly an evolution of the Wii U concept.

I did kinda like being able to use the Wii U gamepad as a TV remote. I would use it as my TV remote, then play some SNES Virtual Console in between commercial breaks. It worked well. All the ideas they had for that probably would've worked a lot better if the iPad didn't steal all their thunder, if devices like that didn't exist, I could have seen some of the Wii U gamepad functionality (watching Youtube, using it as a remote, checking sports scores, even video chatting) being useful.

But once everyone and their grandma (literally) had a iPad or other tablet in their home a lot of the stuff about the Wii U gamepad that would've been otherwise kind of neat seemed pointless. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 03 December 2018

Around the Network

WiiU game pad is better, conceptually. In reality though, it hit the market several years too late. By the time if came out if felt like ancient tech, going up against Ipads and the like. Joycons are just a hybrid wiimote/normal controller.

I feel like there is a lot that could have been done with Wii U in terms of coop gameplay. But, the same goal could be accomplished with multiple switches I guess.

WiiU gamepad best concept. great for multiplayer games. One on Screen and one on gamepad. Like Wii remote before it, it reached a good potential early, then Developers went backwards and stopped doing things with it. Me and my mate loved playing COD on it. Just sitting back chilling and talking in the same room.

Wii remote example - Go play Godfather launch window games vs one of the shitty waggle controlled games towards the end of the gen.

Wii U gamepad. It offered more opportunity. It offered dual screen gaming. It offered off-tv co-op in lieu of split screen. It offered 5 player multiplayer instead of limiting to 4 players. I was able to use it as a television remote. I was able to use Wii remote's pointer controls on it. It provided the best web browser in gaming history solely on the strength of the dual screen (individuality) concept. And it offered asymmetrical game play. I could skype with my children (who live with their mother but also have a Wii U) using Wii U gamepad while Switch as a whole console has no camera... huge mistake.

The joycon's greatest addition is that you have two controllers right out of the box; something gaming has been lacking for decades now. But the rest of the controller set is simple and the additions are marginal (outside it being split into two functional controllers). While I love the split controller philosophy, the fact that pointer controls are completely removed from the equation really hurts the concept for me. I like pointer controls specifically more than motion controls (I honestly dislike motion controls) so the fact that Wii U gamepad offers me the ability to use pointer controls while Switch controllers do not is a deal breaker.

The concept of Switch itself is better overall but purely speaking on the controllers themselves, Wii U gamepad is the superior concept.

Last edited by GhaudePhaede010 - on 03 December 2018

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

GhaudePhaede010 said:
The joycon's greatest addition is that you have two controllers right out of the box; something gaming has been lacking for decades now. But the rest of the controller set is simple and the additions are marginal (outside it being split into two functional controllers). While I love the split controller philosophy, the fact that pointer controls are completely removed from the equation really hurts the concept for me. I like pointer controls specifically more than motion controls (I honestly dislike motion controls) so the fact that Wii U gamepad offers me the ability to use motion controls while Switch controllers do not is a deal breaker.

The concept of Switch itself is better overall but purely speaking on the controllers themselves, Wii U gamepad is the superior concept.

Not necessarily. Several games use the Joy-Con's gyroscope as a sort-of Wiimote like pointer such as TWEWY and the Tomorrow Corp. games. It's not perfect (the cursor can occasionally drift due to no IR, necessitating the use of a recenter button) but it works fine in games that do use it.