By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retro Studios and Mario kart 9

There is something wrong going on at Retro..

Around the Network

I wonder what the hell is going on at Retro, by the time February arrives it´ll have been 5 years since their last game, 5 years without even one tiny concrete evidence of their next project.

Nintendo is not giving their top selling internal IP out to Retro Studios.

If MK9 not come in switch sucessor, I think next iteration of mario kart would come with a hardware revision of switch, probably with a new feature that enhance the experience (and MK will help to sell it).
Id boldly guess that MK9 willl be mario kart VR, launching along with switch VR (pro switch with more power and glasses to run on resolution to make vr more viable), also, some games will be enhanced to VR too, like deamon x machina, metroid prime 4...
I think retro is trying to delepod that, but because of so many issues, they didnt show anything yet, and that explain the silence.

i hate every word of that idea. i dont know much about the development of Mario Kart 7 for the 3DS, but if Retro was involved then i dont want them touching another another Mario Kart game. MK7 was broken, 150cc was practically impossible to complete, you could get hit by a single red shell and then be left with no hope of ever getting back to the front of the race again. but i also just dont want another Mario Kart game on the Switch. we have Mario Kart 8 Deluxe which is already an amazing game, and theres no reason why more DLC could not just be added to that game. it would make more sense to just have one Mario Kart game on the Switch with a ton of tracks rather than 2 games.

Around the Network
Yerm said:
i hate every word of that idea. i dont know much about the development of Mario Kart 7 for the 3DS, but if Retro was involved then i dont want them touching another another Mario Kart game. MK7 was broken, 150cc was practically impossible to complete, you could get hit by a single red shell and then be left with no hope of ever getting back to the front of the race again. but i also just dont want another Mario Kart game on the Switch. we have Mario Kart 8 Deluxe which is already an amazing game, and theres no reason why more DLC could not just be added to that game. it would make more sense to just have one Mario Kart game on the Switch with a ton of tracks rather than 2 games.

Retro was involved with MK7 but only created the retro courses (how ironic). They had nothing to do with the issues you mentioned.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Retro who is that?

They haven't done any significant innovation or AAA game as far back as I can remember.

They do not even come up in my mind anymore until a thread like this appears every now and then. The world has moved on and Retro has stayed in the past. So many more developers giving it their all that Retro isn't in that echelon talked about anymore on a consistent basis.

I don't care what they are making at this point. Anything will do. Just give us a sign that everything is ok over at Retro!

cycycychris said:

There making a star fox racer game. Which the game sounds prettyamazing to me.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-14-leaks-suggest-nintendos-retro-studios-making-star-fox-racing-spin-off

I'm sure they would make a pretty good MK9 game too, we would probably see the game take a larger leap forward than we have in while. I'm not so sure though at what a team like Retro has to offer for a series like Mario Kart. I think the best use of Retro is for them to take series that needs a new way of looking at the series and to help transform it from there. I don't think MK needs that.

I believe that was proved false months ago. If not, it’s just a rumor for now. Never been confirmed to my knowledge. 

Regardless, I wouldn’t say “they’re working on a Star Fox game” until we know for sure. That way it keeps bad information from floating around and being reported as true when it’s not. Could be, but for now, who knows. 

Last edited by UltimateGamer1982 - on 02 December 2018

UltimateGamer1982 said:
cycycychris said:

There making a star fox racer game. Which the game sounds prettyamazing to me.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-14-leaks-suggest-nintendos-retro-studios-making-star-fox-racing-spin-off

I'm sure they would make a pretty good MK9 game too, we would probably see the game take a larger leap forward than we have in while. I'm not so sure though at what a team like Retro has to offer for a series like Mario Kart. I think the best use of Retro is for them to take series that needs a new way of looking at the series and to help transform it from there. I don't think MK needs that.

I believe that was proved false months ago. If not, it’s just a rumor for now. Never been confirmed to my knowledge. 

Regardless, I wouldn’t say “they’re working on a Star Fox game” until we know for sure. That way it keeps bad information from floating around and being reported as true when it’s not. Could be, but for now, who knows. 

Never proven fake, there was a multitude of insiders who reported they heard about this game including Liam Robertson, it's very unlikely for it to be fake