By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retro Studios and Mario kart 9

Hey guys. It's been a long time since we've known anything about the future Retro Studios project. The only thing we know for sure is that they are not doing metroid prime 4. Retro already collaborated on a Mario kart game with 3DS. In addition, all Nintendo desktop systems have had their own mario kart game. So it's not unreasonable to think that Retro is making the next most famous plumber's racing game in the world. What do you think about this? 

"Every day I look in the mirror and ask myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?". If the answer is no for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something"

Steve Jobs

Around the Network

I think it's unlikely given we already have a Mario Kart game on Switch, an evergreen title on track to be one of the highest selling games of all time.

But I agree that it's probably some sort of interesting racing game they're working on, perhaps a Donkey Kong Racing game?
Or if they want to tackle one of Rare's other racing projects, Mickey's Speedway or RC Pro-Am (I don't think they can do that one though, I believe that's all Rare... and Mario Kart/DKC kind of replaced that franchise).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

cycycychris said:

There making a star fox racer game. Which the game sounds prettyamazing to me.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-14-leaks-suggest-nintendos-retro-studios-making-star-fox-racing-spin-off

I'm sure they would make a pretty good MK9 game too, we would probably see the game take a larger leap forward than we have in while. I'm not so sure though at what a team like Retro has to offer for a series like Mario Kart. I think the best use of Retro is for them to take series that needs a new way of looking at the series and to help transform it from there. I don't think MK needs that.

Dont want to be a drag, but thats a rumor.Please refer to it as such otherwise people will get confused.

Anyways, Retro wouldnt be doing Mario Kart 9, since I believe Nintendo would rather they do something their other studios cant do.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
cycycychris said:

There making a star fox racer game. Which the game sounds prettyamazing to me.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-14-leaks-suggest-nintendos-retro-studios-making-star-fox-racing-spin-off

I'm sure they would make a pretty good MK9 game too, we would probably see the game take a larger leap forward than we have in while. I'm not so sure though at what a team like Retro has to offer for a series like Mario Kart. I think the best use of Retro is for them to take series that needs a new way of looking at the series and to help transform it from there. I don't think MK needs that.

Dont want to be a drag, but thats a rumor.Please refer to it as such otherwise people will get confused.

Anyways, Retro wouldnt be doing Mario Kart 9, since I believe Nintendo would rather they do something their other studios cant do.

I hate to be that guy, but the only thing Retro can do those other Nintendo studios can't is take 8 years to complete a B-tier title.

I doubt it, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is going to be the 2nd best selling Mario Kart title of all time so there is zero reason for them to release a MK9 on Switch, they will save it for Switch 2.

I think the rumored Star Fox Grand Prix seems pretty likely.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Nautilus said:

I hate to be that guy, but the only thing Retro can do those other Nintendo studios can't is take 8 years to complete a B-tier title.

Maybe, but assuming that Star Fox Racing is indeed the game(or one of the games) that Retro is doing, then I would assume it is going to be a reimagening in every sense of the word.Depending on how it ends up being received, it might stop being a B-tier franchise.

I really doubt that people called Star Fox a B Tire franchise back when Star Fox 64 launched(also considering how it sold).

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

No doubt Lylat Wars was one of the signature titles for the N64. The same could be said for Wave Race for very similar reasons.

Lylat Wars was a special outing. It was something we hadn't seen before. As did Wave Race.
Like Wave Race 64, at the time of its release, it was outstandingly beautiful.

That was one of those right time, right place, right technological advancements type things. Go back and play those games now and you'll see what I mean. After that brief refreshing blast of nostalgia, they get old fast.

Don't get me wrong, I am onboard with the idea of a Star Fox Racer; but I think it is going to be more of a Mario Tennis, Mario vs. Rabbids, or Kirby-tier game than a Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild-tier.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 02 December 2018

Jumpin said:

No doubt Lylat Wars was one of the signature titles for the N64. The same could be said for Wave Race for very similar reasons.

Lylat Wars was a special outing. It was something we hadn't seen before. As did Wave Race.
Like Wave Race 64, at the time of its release, it was outstandingly beautiful.

That was one of those right time, right place, right technological advancements type things. Go back and play those games now and you'll see what I mean. After that brief refreshing blast of nostalgia, they get old fast.

I still love that game.It may be nostalgia spekaing, but it still holds up to me today.I should note that the remaster of 64 on 3DS also got excellent reviews and good sales, acording to VGC.

What I am saying is that it was Nintendo that failed to capitalize on the first two Star Fox games success and truly make the franchise into something truly memorable, as it dosent need to be said that the StarFoix games from the last 2 decades has varied highly from decent to bad.

All it takes to save Starfox is the right vision and the right team.Not saying that retro will be able to do it, assuming they tackle the franchise, but they could.

I think a Star Fox game would work if it was the launch title for a new Switch iteration of hardware, and it showed off how beautiful games could look on it. I think it could make a huge splash in that regard. But, keep in mind, while Retro studios did have the talent to do that 20 years ago, it was also due to the team being heavily staffed with former Iguana Studios people who were basically making some of the best looking games available. Most of that team left between the releases of Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime Corruption.

I've been thinking that maybe a quirky battle team-battle/competition mode that is something like Splatoon (with vehicles) or Rocket League might work wonders.

No, they are making the Star Fox Racing Game (probably alongside another game). The Mario Kart team will work on it since ARMS support has already ended