Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A Look at the Nintendo Dark Ages (2011-2017)

bananaking21 said:
Even on switch that demographic is gone, they tried with 1-2 switch, and they tried with labo, the latter now bombed completely (even though it's technically a bit different). Without a doubt the rise of mobile clearly hurt the Wii U.

It's not. 1-2 Switch did solid numbers (will likely do 3-5 million in the end), and Super Mario Party is a huge hit, along with Pokemon Let's Go! attracting a good portion of Pokemon Go players. Labo's a weird case, because it's more of a niche product than either of those, but I also wouldn't say it outright bombed either since all Kits combined are over One million in sales at the moment. We'll have to see what it's fate is When Nintendo gives its post Holiday sales reports. 

I'd say the problem is more that the Wii U didn't have anything that made it clear why they should care about it over a phone. The dual screen gamepad gimmick was confusing and un-intuitive, and doesn't have the same appeal as passing a Joy-Con to a friend for Multiplayer. Wii U failed because it was badly designed, not because of mobile. 

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:
bananaking21 said:
Even on switch that demographic is gone, they tried with 1-2 switch, and they tried with labo, the latter now bombed completely (even though it's technically a bit different). Without a doubt the rise of mobile clearly hurt the Wii U.

It's not. 1-2 Switch did solid numbers (will likely do 3-5 million in the end), and Super Mario Party is a huge hit, along with Pokemon Let's Go! attracting a good portion of Pokemon Go players. Labo's a weird case, because it's more of a niche product than either of those, but I also wouldn't say it outright bombed either since all Kits combined are over One million in sales at the moment. We'll have to see what it's fate is When Nintendo gives its post Holiday sales reports. 

I'd say the problem is more that the Wii U didn't have anything that made it clear why they should care about it over a phone. The dual screen gamepad gimmick was confusing and un-intuitive, and doesn't have the same appeal as passing a Joy-Con to a friend for Multiplayer. Wii U failed because it was badly designed, not because of mobile. 

A lot of those sales are from bundles and the core nintendo fanbase. Also compare it's numbers to brain age and and Wii fit and it's clear that demographic is gone. 

And take into consideration that 1-2 switch was a launch title, which lack of software during release helps it's sales

I wouldn't consider Mario party to be in the same category as those games to be honest, the game has always had its fanbase from way back to the (awesome) N64 games, and it appeals to the Nintendo fanbase a lot. 

And Pokémon is well... Pokémon, it will always be huge. 

bananaking21 said:

A lot of those sales are from bundles and the core nintendo fanbase. Also compare it's numbers to brain age and and Wii fit and it's clear that demographic is gone. 

And take into consideration that 1-2 switch was a launch title, which lack of software during release helps it's sales

I wouldn't consider Mario party to be in the same category as those games to be honest, the game has always had its fanbase from way back to the (awesome) N64 games, and it appeals to the Nintendo fanbase a lot. 

And Pokémon is well... Pokémon, it will always be huge. 

1-2 Switch didn't get bundled until just recently, and Nintendo fans hate this game with most not bothering to buy it. Yet, it still sold almost 3 million copies, showing there's still an audience for these types of games. You could argue that it was a launch title and that it would've always done that much regardless because of it, which is somewhat true, but the fact that it and similar games like it are doing well on Switch shows that there are a lot of casual gamers who are interested in it. 

Super Mario Party is becoming the fastest selling entry in the Mario Party series since Mario Party 8, previous Mario Party games did okay, but this game is really doing numbers. If the Switch really was strictly a core gamer system, it wouldn't have sold this much in a short time frame. 

And while it's true Pokemon Let's Go! would've always done well, the fact that it managed to convert a good percentage of Pokemon Go players to buy a Switch is impressive. 

Simply put, Switch isn't just selling to core gamers, it's selling to a wide range of consumers for different reasons. A mainstream consumer electronics device can't survive on just hardcore buyers alone. 

Rol has already said basically what he should. Just want to say that it is important to note Nintendo in 2010 and 2011 that almost abandoned the Wii, the video game was dependent on Metroid Other M and Skyward Sword, which are not even a good version of their respective franchises. At the end of the revolution that was the generation, Nintendo stopped releasing games to stationary console to focus on 3DS and this also contributed to the later period. The couch arcades games that were at the heart of the Wii system were abandoned by games more like Gamecube games, like Other M and Skyward Sword, so the console had low sales as had the Gamecube.

But Nintendo sold 85M+ consoles with the 3DS and the Wii U combined. What is the reason to say that the Switch ended the "dark ages of Nintendo"? Do you think the Switch will top 85M+?

Around the Network
Dr.Vita said:
But Nintendo sold 85M+ consoles with the 3DS and the Wii U combined. What is the reason to say that the Switch ended the "dark ages of Nintendo"? Do you think the Switch will top 85M+?

While yes I do think the Switch will sell around 80-85 M. the title mostly refers to terrible state of the company during these years. I wanted to get into Nintendo's stock prices and the mundane business decisions they were making during this period but I felt as if I was already going on too long.

I'll state my opinion based on yours. I'll tell you the point I do not agree, so what I did not say is because I´ve agreed... 1. "...Traditional controllers..." > I understand the you look at it as an extra screen engaged on a "common" layout buttons, but it's not exactly like that. The WiiU Gamepad was an entirely new concept that can be considered as traditional right now... I mean, what makes a controller like a traditional one? I think that the second screen on the Nintendo Switch is nothing new, more like a traditional controller because it came from an existing idea. It may not have been accepted in 2011 where a transition had to be made but the idea of a "traditional" based on 90's layout is better marketplace seems merely superstition. But I totally agree if you say it was underused. 2. "...trully died in 2014..." > Well, that's nothing to argue. You may have disliked a new console and say that it died months after been released, this is not a matter of belief, the console mass production came to an end at 2017. Even so some games have still been released (Darksiders Warmastered, Aqua Moto Racing Utopia in 2018 ) and believe me, I still play some games online and manage to find a reasonable number of people. 3. "...Splatoon, Star Fox Zero, Yoshi's Woolly World, games already known for years..." > It's a lie. They were revealed and lauched by 1-year range, you cited Xenoblade that really took a long time and made a memory mess. I'm just saying this fact is not true and it´s not a reason. 4. "...If called Super Wii would've sold more units..." > This is an easy thing to say but hard to prove. Taking into consideration other bigger problems that you did not even mention, the product name would not imply significant changes. I can see more likely factor that could have interfered in the succes of the console than that cited above, but I agree with the rest of your text.

Last edited by ThisanmU - on 30 November 2018

ThisanmU said:
I'll state my opinion based on yours. I'll tell you the point I do not agree, so what I did not say is because I´ve agreed... 1. "...Traditional controllers..." > I understand the you look at it as an extra screen engaged on a "common" layout buttons, but it's not exactly like that. The WiiU Gamepad was an entirely new concept that can be considered as traditional right now... I mean, what makes a controller like a traditional one? I think that the second screen on the Nintendo Switch is nothing new, more like a traditional controller because it came from an existing idea. It may not have been accepted in 2011 where a transition had to be made but the idea of a "traditional" based on 90's layout is better marketplace seems merely superstition. But I totally agree if you say it was underused. 2. "...trully died in 2014..." > Well, that's nothing to argue. You may have disliked a new console and say that it died months after been released, this is not a matter of belief, the console mass production came to an end at 2017. Even so some games have still been released (Darksiders Warmastered, Aqua Moto Racing Utopia in 2018 ) and believe me, I still play some games online and manage to find a reasonable number of people. 3. "...Splatoon, Star Fox Zero, Yoshi's Woolly World, games already known for years..." > It's a lie. They were revealed and lauched by 1-year range, you cited Xenoblade that really took a long time and made a memory mess. I'm just saying this fact is not true and it´s not a reason. 4. "...If called Super Wii would've sold more units..." > This is an easy thing to say but hard to prove. Taking into consideration other bigger problems that you did not even mention, the product name would not imply significant changes. I can see more likely factor that could have interfered in the succes of the console than that cited above, but I agree with the rest of your text.

I'm sorry for the way I published the content, I do not know how to separate lines Last edited by ThisanmU - on 30 November 2018

Poliwrathlord said:
Dr.Vita said:

While yes I do think the Switch will sell around 80-85 M. the title mostly refers to terrible state of the company during these years. I wanted to get into Nintendo's stock prices and the mundane business decisions they were making during this period but I felt as if I was already going on too long.

PS3 was hit harder as far as profitability margin per year by far. 

Agente42 said:

Rol has already said basically what he should. Just want to say that it is important to note Nintendo in 2010 and 2011 that almost abandoned the Wii, the video game was dependent on Metroid Other M and Skyward Sword, which are not even a good version of their respective franchises. At the end of the revolution that was the generation, Nintendo stopped releasing games to stationary console to focus on 3DS and this also contributed to the later period. The couch arcades games that were at the heart of the Wii system were abandoned by games more like Gamecube games, like Other M and Skyward Sword, so the console had low sales as had the Gamecube.

They released Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story worldwide in 2010-2011, and they were relatively huge games and XC is critically speaking the best in the series. Pandora Tower which admittedly was a lower budgeted game than the other 2 was still a very enjoyable game in its own right released. They also had Mario Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and No More Heroes 2.

2010 and 2011 easily beat out 2008 and 2009 as far as quality games (well depends on how mush you like Smash Brawl and Mario Kart Wii) at least in number of games released, it was an uptick.

Last I'd also like to mention Skyward Sword and Other M were solid games in their own right. Arguably not the best in their series which is a matter of opinion, but far from bad games. I mean correct me if I'm wrong but weren't their more main dungeons in Skyward Sword than in BOTW? 

Last edited by bigtakilla - on 30 November 2018