By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A Look at the Nintendo Dark Ages (2011-2017)

Poliwrathlord said:
Rogerioandrade said:

Nice article.... but saying that the WiiU had a "similar library to the 3ds" with only 06 games to name is just ... silly. Really. 
The 3ds library was excellent,  it´s not even comparable to the WiiU

Those were just some examples. Here's a few more

Donkey Country Returns 3D - Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Zelda 3D ports - Zelda HD ports

Super Mario Maker 3ds - Super Mario Maker

NES Remix Ultimate - NES Remix

Lego City Undercover 3ds - Lego City Undercover

New Super Mario Bros 2 - New Super Mario Bros U

While not all of the games I listed are not exactly the same game, they are however incredibly similar, and when taking account the 3ds's cheaper price it's easy to see why a game like Smash Bros for 3ds could really hurt Wii U's sales as a copy of Smash 3ds and the handheld itself would only cost you $140, whereas if you wanted to buy the Wii U version and the Wii U to play it on it would be $300 +

Still only very few games, it doesn´t even reach 1% of the 3ds library, which currently has 1254 games. And most of them are different games, even if they´re on the same franchise.

What I mean is that the 3DS library had way, way more to offer than the WiiU library. There were a ton of Jrpgs, puzzles, strategy games, rhythm games, visual novels, applications etc. The 3ds even had ports of stablished fighting franchises like Street Fighter, Tekken, Dead or Alive, BlazBlue.....  The WiiU failed because its game library did not have much to offer in terms of variety.  Game releases were sparse, at best. 

That´s not to say that the WiiU did not had great games, but their number wasn´t huge enough to generate interest among non-Nintendo fans.

See how the 3ds is still selling around 60k weekly? That´s not only due to its low price but also due to its library of games. This really highlights how different their library were. Apples and oranges, basically.

All other points in the article are accurate. Thankfully, the dark ages of Nintendo seems to be over

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

I skimmed through the replies and saw people saying that this is a good writeup. That tends to make me suspicious, so I began to read the original post in earnest. Unsurprisingly, it repeats many of the flawed views that people have accepted as the truth despite evidence to the contrary being out there.

The stage for a dark age is set in advance. If you understand that, then the beginning of the dark age is E3 2010, a press conference that was actually widely agreed upon to be great. But it's at that time that the 3DS was unveiled, the console that led to Nintendo's first loss over the course of a full financial year since they had entered the video game business. People are always quick to blame everything on the Wii U because they only look at unit sales, but it's the 3DS that began to dig the hole. Nintendo fully banked on stereoscopic 3D selling the hardware, so they didn't prepare much first party software in parts because of that; their other reason to go soft with Nintendo games is that they believed that fewer Nintendo games will lead to higher sales of third party software. The fundamental flaw in this thinking is that third party software is rarely good enough to sell Nintendo hardware, therefore such a strategy hurts everyone. The correct approach is to go hard on Nintendo games, because that boosts hardware adoption rate and everyone benefits.

The complacence regarding the 3DS created a domino effect. Nintendo did not only have to take their first loss in the fiscal year ending March 2012 because of the early 3DS price cut, but they also had to pull developers from Wii U projects to finish key titles for the 3DS faster. The eventual result of that was the completely broken software pipeline for the Wii U, because Wii U games had to be delayed in the aftermath of getting the 3DS back on track.

The Wii U's main problem was not the name, not the marketing, and least of all it wasn't that "people were put off by the Wii." The Wii U's problem was the exact opposite: It wasn't a proper successor to the Wii. The most obvious key factor is that Nintendo relegated Wii Remote and Nunchuk to a tertiary control option and didn't even bother to provide improved versions, but rather just said that people should buy the Wii accessories. That's the same strategy they used during the transition from GameCube to Wii when GC controllers were a tertiary control option, but consider that for Wii it was a sound strategy because the GC was a failure. It's perfectly fine to make drastic changes after a failure and pursue a different direction. However, it is completely braindead to reject your success and return to an evolution of a concept that already failed you before. The Gamepad is the evolution of the GC to GBA connectivity; if the control setup isn't obvious enough, consider that Nintendo Land incorporated gameplay of various GC to GBA connectivity titles. The Wii U's main problem was that it was a repackaged GC and the market saw through it, so the Wii U followed the GC trajectory in sales.

Your summary of Wii U games is terrible. You call Pikmin 3 long-awaited when it is an IP that has never sold much on any console; Pikmin is utterly forgettable and disposable when it comes to hardware sales. New Super Mario Bros. U keeps getting the blame for sinking the Wii U, but in reality it is the only thing that kept it from doing even worse. Consider these two important factors: For one, NSMBU had an attach rate of ~60% in the early going because it was just about the only game worth buying on Wii U, and two, every single Nintendo IP has failed to turn around the Wii U afterwards, including Mario Kart 8 which proved its real system-selling power on Switch three years after its Wii U release. What you have with Wii U is similar to a Virtual Boy situation where it doesn't matter how good the software is, because the market doesn't want the hardware. Of course the Wii U was not as bad as the Virtual Boy, but if that's the only thing Wii U can outdo, you have a real mess on your hands.

You call the Wii U's launch a success, but it absolutely wasn't. Not only did it miss its forecast, but its sell-through was terrible on top of that. That's why shipments in the following quarters were abysmal, because the system had already failed at launch.

2013-2014

Third party support for Wii U was already on its way out at E3 2012. By December 2012 there was a list floating around on the internet that showed that ~80% of announced multiplatform games were not in development for Wii U. Remember, that was still before the PS4 and Xbox One, so processing power had nothing to do with those decisions. And remember, at that time third parties couldn't have made their decisions based on sales either, because sales data had yet to come in.

The crucial point you forget to mention for this period is January 2014. Nintendo revised its shipment forecast for Wii U down by 6.2m, from 9m to 2.8m. Satoru Iwata talked about Nintendo's next generation in January 2014. While Iwata had allowed the company to go ahead with its headscratching decisions to make the 3DS and Wii U, he had come to his senses at that point. He knew that the current generation (3DS and Wii U) were all about damage control at that point, and that he had to plant the correct seeds for their successors.

Nintendo had no faith in Wii U anymore. Their forecast for Wii U for the fiscal year ending March 2015 was 3.6m, a pathetic figure. The reason why Nintendo kept releasing Wii U games for years after they had recognized that it is a failure is that Nintendo is in it for the long term. They couldn't expect people to buy another console of theirs if they stopped supporting their current one.

2015-2017

It doesn't matter if you believe NX wasn't announced because of the announcement of Nintendo making mobile games, all it means is that you are wrong. Announcing the next console generation at that point in time instantly curbstomped all speculation that Nintendo might stop making consoles.

The main purpose of Nintendo's mobile games is to raise IP awareness and get people to buy Nintendo consoles and games. That verifiably worked.

What ties into this same strategy are Nintendo's Mini consoles which also raise awareness. That too works.

Why the Wii U failed

I already touched on this earlier in this post before I even read what you wrote here. I've been typing my response in pieces, reading one of your sections and then immediately writing a response. You wrote a lot in this particular section without identifying the real causes.

Conclusion

Your essay is okay as your personal perspective, but nobody should take it as a history lesson, because your essay has holes like a swiss cheese when it comes to financial matters.

Thank you for your opinion and criticisms. I'm glad you took the time to respond and point out flaws, and I'll try to keep what you said in mind if I write something similar to this again.  

Mar1217 said:
A bit too much personal inputs into some parts of the text, also I would join some points Rol has made but my irk comes from mainly this :

- Mario Kart 8 was ambitious as it set out to be the best arguably looking game on the WiiU, best amount of quality tracks in the series and some of the greatest DLC content we've seen. Now the battle mode was completly butchered but it now got restored with Switch Deluxe version ;)

- Pikmin is not important.

- Even in the darkness, there's still light. Mainly, I think you were underplaying 2014-2015 importance has it's the moment where even with the low hardware, it's mindshare was probably at it's highest, probably because that's where it launched it's best titles during it's lifetime.

I mostly meant that Pikmin was long awaited by fans of the series, and I understand that it isn't a system seller. In hindsight it was foolish of me to include it as it is a little too much personal input.

Also I did mention that I thought Nintendo still had faith in the Wii U in 2014 as they released some of the best games on the system that year. I absolutely have no doubt that 2014 was the best year of the console's life.

Rogerioandrade said:

Still only very few games, it doesn´t even reach 1% of the 3ds library, which currently has 1254 games. And most of them are different games, even if they´re on the same franchise.

What I mean is that the 3DS library had way, way more to offer than the WiiU library. There were a ton of Jrpgs, puzzles, strategy games, rhythm games, visual novels, applications etc. The 3ds even had ports of stablished fighting franchises like Street Fighter, Tekken, Dead or Alive, BlazBlue.....  The WiiU failed because its game library did not have much to offer in terms of variety.  Game releases were sparse, at best. 

That´s not to say that the WiiU did not had great games, but their number wasn´t huge enough to generate interest among non-Nintendo fans.

See how the 3ds is still selling around 60k weekly? That´s not only due to its low price but also due to its library of games. This really highlights how different their library were. Apples and oranges, basically.

All other points in the article are accurate. Thankfully, the dark ages of Nintendo seems to be over

I'm not saying that the similarity of games between the 3ds and Wii U hurt the 3ds in any way but rather almost exclusively the Wii U as the 3ds would be a much cheaper option to play said games.

Great write up. I read it all which is rare for such a long post. I'd agree with you that they were the dark ages. It had many ramifications for Nintendo. The 3ds and Wii U threw them off the idea of having two different platforms in the same gen like you'd seen from them for so long. They've settled on one unified platform which is fine for now but ups the risk because if their unified platform ever fails in a future gen they've no backup to fall on.

I also believe the really bad drought from last year to this October is a knock on effect

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

I skimmed through the replies and saw people saying that this is a good writeup. That tends to make me suspicious, so I began to read the original post in earnest. Unsurprisingly, it repeats many of the flawed views that people have accepted as the truth despite evidence to the contrary being out there.

The stage for a dark age is set in advance. If you understand that, then the beginning of the dark age is E3 2010, a press conference that was actually widely agreed upon to be great. But it's at that time that the 3DS was unveiled, the console that led to Nintendo's first loss over the course of a full financial year since they had entered the video game business. People are always quick to blame everything on the Wii U because they only look at unit sales, but it's the 3DS that began to dig the hole. Nintendo fully banked on stereoscopic 3D selling the hardware, so they didn't prepare much first party software in parts because of that; their other reason to go soft with Nintendo games is that they believed that fewer Nintendo games will lead to higher sales of third party software. The fundamental flaw in this thinking is that third party software is rarely good enough to sell Nintendo hardware, therefore such a strategy hurts everyone. The correct approach is to go hard on Nintendo games, because that boosts hardware adoption rate and everyone benefits.

The complacence regarding the 3DS created a domino effect. Nintendo did not only have to take their first loss in the fiscal year ending March 2012 because of the early 3DS price cut, but they also had to pull developers from Wii U projects to finish key titles for the 3DS faster. The eventual result of that was the completely broken software pipeline for the Wii U, because Wii U games had to be delayed in the aftermath of getting the 3DS back on track.

The Wii U's main problem was not the name, not the marketing, and least of all it wasn't that "people were put off by the Wii." The Wii U's problem was the exact opposite: It wasn't a proper successor to the Wii. The most obvious key factor is that Nintendo relegated Wii Remote and Nunchuk to a tertiary control option and didn't even bother to provide improved versions, but rather just said that people should buy the Wii accessories. That's the same strategy they used during the transition from GameCube to Wii when GC controllers were a tertiary control option, but consider that for Wii it was a sound strategy because the GC was a failure. It's perfectly fine to make drastic changes after a failure and pursue a different direction. However, it is completely braindead to reject your success and return to an evolution of a concept that already failed you before. The Gamepad is the evolution of the GC to GBA connectivity; if the control setup isn't obvious enough, consider that Nintendo Land incorporated gameplay of various GC to GBA connectivity titles. The Wii U's main problem was that it was a repackaged GC and the market saw through it, so the Wii U followed the GC trajectory in sales.

Your summary of Wii U games is terrible. You call Pikmin 3 long-awaited when it is an IP that has never sold much on any console; Pikmin is utterly forgettable and disposable when it comes to hardware sales. New Super Mario Bros. U keeps getting the blame for sinking the Wii U, but in reality it is the only thing that kept it from doing even worse. Consider these two important factors: For one, NSMBU had an attach rate of ~60% in the early going because it was just about the only game worth buying on Wii U, and two, every single Nintendo IP has failed to turn around the Wii U afterwards, including Mario Kart 8 which proved its real system-selling power on Switch three years after its Wii U release. What you have with Wii U is similar to a Virtual Boy situation where it doesn't matter how good the software is, because the market doesn't want the hardware. Of course the Wii U was not as bad as the Virtual Boy, but if that's the only thing Wii U can outdo, you have a real mess on your hands.

You call the Wii U's launch a success, but it absolutely wasn't. Not only did it miss its forecast, but its sell-through was terrible on top of that. That's why shipments in the following quarters were abysmal, because the system had already failed at launch.

2013-2014

Third party support for Wii U was already on its way out at E3 2012. By December 2012 there was a list floating around on the internet that showed that ~80% of announced multiplatform games were not in development for Wii U. Remember, that was still before the PS4 and Xbox One, so processing power had nothing to do with those decisions. And remember, at that time third parties couldn't have made their decisions based on sales either, because sales data had yet to come in.

The crucial point you forget to mention for this period is January 2014. Nintendo revised its shipment forecast for Wii U down by 6.2m, from 9m to 2.8m. Satoru Iwata talked about Nintendo's next generation in January 2014. While Iwata had allowed the company to go ahead with its headscratching decisions to make the 3DS and Wii U, he had come to his senses at that point. He knew that the current generation (3DS and Wii U) were all about damage control at that point, and that he had to plant the correct seeds for their successors.

Nintendo had no faith in Wii U anymore. Their forecast for Wii U for the fiscal year ending March 2015 was 3.6m, a pathetic figure. The reason why Nintendo kept releasing Wii U games for years after they had recognized that it is a failure is that Nintendo is in it for the long term. They couldn't expect people to buy another console of theirs if they stopped supporting their current one.

2015-2017

It doesn't matter if you believe NX wasn't announced because of the announcement of Nintendo making mobile games, all it means is that you are wrong. Announcing the next console generation at that point in time instantly curbstomped all speculation that Nintendo might stop making consoles.

The main purpose of Nintendo's mobile games is to raise IP awareness and get people to buy Nintendo consoles and games. That verifiably worked.

What ties into this same strategy are Nintendo's Mini consoles which also raise awareness. That too works.

Why the Wii U failed

I already touched on this earlier in this post before I even read what you wrote here. I've been typing my response in pieces, reading one of your sections and then immediately writing a response. You wrote a lot in this particular section without identifying the real causes.

Conclusion

Your essay is okay as your personal perspective, but nobody should take it as a history lesson, because your essay has holes like a swiss cheese when it comes to financial matters.

Honestly another thing not mentioned that had GREAT impact when Wii U was just out the gate was 2 things (I'll even mention a 3rd that was kind of an aftermath, but also kept Wii U from gaining momentum).

1: An SKU literally no one wanted with the basic model. 8gb internal memory and no charging station at a price of $300 was simply just a no sale. I don't know who thought of making a SKU like that and actually keeping it for release without realizing it was a vast mistake was just an ignorant person tbh. 

2: Even with the SKU that people DID want (and make no mistake the 32gb model was sold out for the longest time I know I was extremely excited and was actively looking for months), it was sold at $350 when right around the time they started to become available again it was spring and E3 was right around the corner. Many people were now holding off due to Sony and Microsoft already announcing their systems would be shown at E3 2013. That completely took the wind out of Wii U's sales (lol) and sails as the PS4 would sell at a price point of $400 and Nintendo decided NOT to drop the price of the Wii U, not only for Black Friday but the entire holiday season. 

3(ish): 3rd parties were releasing big titles, but were always undercutting the Wii U. Call of Duty would have preorder maps and season passes on every other system to include PS3 and Xbox 360 that Wii U didn't get, Mass Effect only the 3rd title released while at the same time every other system was getting the trilogy, Games shown at E3 were falling off the map entirely or pushed back years, and Nintendo not having any huge game at launch was... I mean what were they thinking...

Conclusion: But was it really the hardware, as in what the Wii U could actually do? No, a LOT of there games looked absolutely stunning, even when compared to the other systems. I don't buy that at all. Was it third party wasn't there? Again not really. 2 Assassin's Creeds, 2 Call of Duty's, 2 Platinum Games exclusives, 3 Arkham games, Mass Effect 3, Watch Dogs, tons of crossovers from Pokken to Tokyo Mirage,  every 3D Zelda ever made by Nintendo accessible to include BOTW between it and the 3DS, the 3DS as it's counterpart... There is just a LOT I don't agree with in your typical "Dark Ages" post. Resurgence of Fire Emblem, New Luigi's Mansion, Splatoon, Mario Maker, Smash aimed towards competitive play, the 3rd party support it did get, and the bonds made between Bandai, Atlas, and Platinum Games.... Dark Ages... Not buying it.

The Wii U would make for a great case study for brand management classes. Nintendo seemed to do most things right when originally creating the Wii brand (and for the record I wholeheartedly disagree with the part about Wii being damaging for Nintendo), and then came the time for a new console and it's like the team behind it never really agreed upon what the system would be so the result was a system without an identity and a name that screamed identity crisis. It's really hard to make the customer understand what your product is when not even the creator seem to have an answer.

In some ways it looked like a console targeting the core gamer, much wanting to have a piece of the PS/Xbox audience, with a big focus on 3rd party titles such as Assassin's Creed. But it didn't go much further than a games reel and a list of 3rd parties "on board", and the name suggested it was a successor to the Wii first and foremost. And the idea to go after an audience that already have two systems tailored for them is ludicrous.

So was the Wii U a successor to the Wii then? Not really. Instead of a new Wii Sports (either a successor or a new game made with the same mentality) they launched the system with Nintendo Land. Later Nintendo released a new Wii Fit game for the Wii U, as if that was the most important Wii game to make a sequel for. And then we finally got Wii Sports but it ended up being a digital only remaster of the original, chopped up and sold in pieces. So they might as well not even have bothered. Nintendo Land, while a decent game in my opinion, was nowhere near system seller material. I guess it was supposed to showcase the new gamepad but in reality it basically was a party game built on nostalgia and made for fans of Nintendo's older franchises or as an introduction to said franchises, but it did not have the power to actually sell consoles. Left to sell the system was New Super Mario Bros. U, probably the reason for why the system sold anything at all. As for other exclusive titles to look forward to and build hype around the system we had Pikmin 3 and Rayman Legends. Pikmin and Rayman were considered significant titles, and that alone should give you an idea of the depth of the hole we're in. To make matters worse both got delayed and Rayman Legends turned into a multiplatform release.

The Wiimote had been replaced by a game pad with a built-in screen, a peripheral that was included without any real motivation for why. Even Nintendo seemed to have trouble explaining its significance. Yes, having the map and inventory on a second screen is a neat feature, as is the off-tv option (though the range made it somewhat limited) but nothing shown made it as ground-breaking as the Wiimote.

Mar1217 said:
Kerotan said:
Great write up. I read it all which is rare for such a long post. I'd agree with you that they were the dark ages. It had many ramifications for Nintendo. The 3ds and Wii U threw them off the idea of having two different platforms in the same gen like you'd seen from them for so long. They've settled on one unified platform which is fine for now but ups the risk because if their unified platform ever fails in a future gen they've no backup to fall on.

I also believe the really bad drought from last year to this October is a knock on effect

?

Sorry i got disturbed halfway through my post and hit submit 

I liked reading that (partially because I'm a sucker for well explained timelines) and think it's a decent retrospective of the era.

And now I'm going to nitpick it.

• I would argue that the Dark Age began as early as that period in mid-January 2011, when the launch dates and games for the 3DS were announced. Up through the end of 2010, I remember that most people assumed that the system wouldn't launch any higher than $200, and were speculating that games like Ocarina of Time 3D would be available at launch and games like Animal Crossing would be released soon afterwards. Then all the sudden it was "$250 for the new Nintendogs." The buildup for the Wii U was definitely worse, but this is where troubles began.
  • People talk a lot of trash about New Super Mario Bros U, but when Nintendo replaced Nintendo Land as a bundled game with NSMBU (Autumn 2013), sales increased. Not by a lot, but it suggests that the NSMB formula had more appeal in even in 2013 than the GamePad gimmick did.
  • EA's official word on the Wii U in 2011 vs 2012 probably should have notified us that third party support would dry up fairly quickly.
  • I think you missed an oppurtunity by not highlighting Rayman Legends. From its initial announcement, it was a centerpiece for people hopeful for third party support of the Wii U. Even after it was delayed into 2013, hype was solid. The news in February that the game was being further delayed specifically because the game was no longer exclusive was the moment a lot of hopeful people stopped being hopeful.
  • Morale was NOT still high in 2014. At that point, both Nintendo and fans seemed fairly certain that this was a GameCube type situation. I suspect this is why the Wii U MSRP in North America hasn't changed in FIVE YEARS.
  • Wii U sales increased by about 20% from 2013 to 2014. It's not a ton, but 2013 had a price cut going for it.
  • I think you've overlooked the importance of the 3DS. Had the 3DS done as well as the DS, things would have been brighter. However, especially after 2013, the 3DS had some serious problems. When the DS had its third full year of sales in 2007, hardware sales increased by 42%. For the 3DS in 2014, hardware sales DECREASED by 32%. Or for another comparison, think about the games released later in their lives (besides main series Pokemon). Even in 2009, the fifth full year of its life, the DS was getting big games like Dragon Quest 9, Tomodachi Collection, Professor Layton, Bowser's Inside Story, Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, Scribblenauts, and Grand Theft Auto. The 3DS in 2017, on the other hand, had Dragon Quest 11, an updated version of Monster Hunter Generations, and... yeah, that's about it.

And now because I'm worried that you might think I was insincere at the top of this reply:

• The early confusion regarding the Wii U brand is not the primary reason it failed, but you are correct in that it hurt.
  • The lack of a system seller for the GamePad in particular WAS crucial.
  • Your roundup of 2015 and 2016 says most of what needs to be said.
  • Seriously, good read.

Love and tolerate.

Salnax said:

I liked reading that (partially because I'm a sucker for well explained timelines) and think it's a decent retrospective of the era.

And now I'm going to nitpick it.

• I would argue that the Dark Age began as early as that period in mid-January 2011, when the launch dates and games for the 3DS were announced. Up through the end of 2010, I remember that most people assumed that the system wouldn't launch any higher than $200, and were speculating that games like Ocarina of Time 3D would be available at launch and games like Animal Crossing would be released soon afterwards. Then all the sudden it was "$250 for the new Nintendogs." The buildup for the Wii U was definitely worse, but this is where troubles began.
  • People talk a lot of trash about New Super Mario Bros U, but when Nintendo replaced Nintendo Land as a bundled game with NSMBU (Autumn 2013), sales increased. Not by a lot, but it suggests that the NSMB formula had more appeal in even in 2013 than the GamePad gimmick did.
  • EA's official word on the Wii U in 2011 vs 2012 probably should have notified us that third party support would dry up fairly quickly.
  • I think you missed an oppurtunity by not highlighting Rayman Legends. From its initial announcement, it was a centerpiece for people hopeful for third party support of the Wii U. Even after it was delayed into 2013, hype was solid. The news in February that the game was being further delayed specifically because the game was no longer exclusive was the moment a lot of hopeful people stopped being hopeful.
  • Morale was NOT still high in 2014. At that point, both Nintendo and fans seemed fairly certain that this was a GameCube type situation. I suspect this is why the Wii U MSRP in North America hasn't changed in FIVE YEARS.
  • Wii U sales increased by about 20% from 2013 to 2014. It's not a ton, but 2013 had a price cut going for it.
  • I think you've overlooked the importance of the 3DS. Had the 3DS done as well as the DS, things would have been brighter. However, especially after 2013, the 3DS had some serious problems. When the DS had its third full year of sales in 2007, hardware sales increased by 42%. For the 3DS in 2014, hardware sales DECREASED by 32%. Or for another comparison, think about the games released later in their lives (besides main series Pokemon). Even in 2009, the fifth full year of its life, the DS was getting big games like Dragon Quest 9, Tomodachi Collection, Professor Layton, Bowser's Inside Story, Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, Scribblenauts, and Grand Theft Auto. The 3DS in 2017, on the other hand, had Dragon Quest 11, an updated version of Monster Hunter Generations, and... yeah, that's about it.

And now because I'm worried that you might think I was insincere at the top of this reply:

• The early confusion regarding the Wii U brand is not the primary reason it failed, but you are correct in that it hurt.
  • The lack of a system seller for the GamePad in particular WAS crucial.
  • Your roundup of 2015 and 2016 says most of what needs to be said.
  • Seriously, good read.

Thanks for your input and I'm glad you liked it. 

I understand that there is a lot that goes into setting up a "dark age" and that 2010 could've been included in my post, but for the sake of brevity I wanted to keep focus on the Wii U.

I did want to mention Rayman Legends, but I just felt that if my post was any longer people would not read it. Same goes for the 3ds; even though it is my favorite handheld and an incredibly good system with a great library, I have no qualms admitting that it is pretty weak compared to the DS, I just felt as if I was already going on too long. I honestly could've made this into two threads with more detail.