By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A Look at the Nintendo Dark Ages (2011-2017)

Jumpin said:
My main issue with the Wii U is that it was bad hardware and somewhat half-baked feeling of it and its OS. The OS was sluggish to the point that it was painful to use. Miiverse was a good idea, poor implementation. You could only hook up one Gamepad that had limited range - the whole "asymmetric gameplay" thing was contrived, no one wanted games like that, and no developer wanted to make games like that. I don't even know what to make of the Wii U eShop: first of all, it was a complete mess, second, the Wii VC didn't work on it, you had to literally go into "emulator mode" and even then, it was not available on the Gamepad at first, and later you still couldn't use Gamepad controls, you had to use a Wii remote - which was utter crap. Of course! You could get around all this with a simple upgrade fee... but the fee wasn't even the problem... the problem was that they only allowed this with a select few games - again, utter crap.

Why did no one want to play it? First of all, unlike the Wii, anyone who came over to play it did NOT have a good time. One Gamepad.
From a consumer perspective, the Gamepad looks cumbersome and slow... and then when you test it and actually see how sluggish the Wii U OS is, it's not possible to be left with a good impression.
The Wii was sleek, fast, and fun. You had 4 Wii remotes, and even in games (like WarioWare) where you passed around a Wii remote between 8 people, it was FUN. I also find this is why the Switch is much more successful, it has that slick/sleek feeling of the Wii.

Anyway, good write up! I enjoyed the read.

I had "Wii friends" over (meaning casuals that were Wii owners) and they had a blast with Nintendo Land. That's a decent game as far as mini-game compilations go. In fact there was so much laughter that we got a noise complaint from a neighbour. 

Smartphones just killed the Wii U, not that the games weren't fun. Once causals got a taste of free gaming in the much more stylish Apple form factor/ecosystem and the whole "waggle is different!" novelty wore off, that audience just collapsed. None of the people I invited over bought a Wii U, even though they all raved about how fun it was to play it. 

Casuals are "casual" for a reason ... they only want to play maybe 4-5 hours tops a week. Video games aren't that big of a deal to them. The problem became when your phone/tablet is capable of filling that 4-5 hours of gaming/week easily and for free with thousands of casual titles, then really what do you need a Wii or Wii U or Wii 2 or Wii Z or Wii X or whatever for. You don't. Certainly not for $50 a game. 

Switch is largely having success because its a core gaming device that has brings core style gaming anywhere, any time. Something like 75% of Switch owners also own a PS4 or XB1 according to the NPD for example, and things like Labo and 1,2 Switch are not the top selling games (or even close). 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 28 November 2018

Around the Network

Nice article.... but saying that the WiiU had a "similar library to the 3ds" with only 06 games to name is just ... silly. Really. 
The 3ds library was excellent,  it´s not even comparable to the WiiU

2011-2017 was definitely dark ages for Nintendo in home console space with Wii U. Not so much on handheld side of things though. While 3DS is an obvious step back from DS it still sold more than 70m and had lots of great games.

Rogerioandrade said:

Nice article.... but saying that the WiiU had a "similar library to the 3ds" with only 06 games to name is just ... silly. Really. 

Those were just some examples. Here's a few more

Donkey Country Returns 3D - Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Zelda 3D ports - Zelda HD ports

Super Mario Maker 3ds - Super Mario Maker

NES Remix Ultimate - NES Remix

Lego City Undercover 3ds - Lego City Undercover

New Super Mario Bros 2 - New Super Mario Bros U

While not all of the games I listed are not exactly the same game, they are however incredibly similar, and when taking account the 3ds's cheaper price it's easy to see why a game like Smash Bros for 3ds could really hurt Wii U's sales as a copy of Smash 3ds and the handheld itself would only cost you $140, whereas if you wanted to buy the Wii U version and the Wii U to play it on it would be $300 +

Last edited by Poliwrathlord - on 28 November 2018

Poliwrathlord said:
Rogerioandrade said:

Those were just some examples. Here's a few more

Donkey Country Returns 3D - Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Zelda 3D ports - Zelda HD ports

Super Mario Maker 3ds - Super Mario Maker

NES Remix Ultimate - NES Remix

Lego City Undercover 3ds - Lego City Undercover

New Super Mario Bros 2 - New Super Mario Bros U

While not all of the games I listed are not exactly the same game, they are however incredibly similar, and when taking account the 3ds's cheaper price it's easy to see why a game like Smash Bros for 3ds could really hurt Wii U's sales as a copy of Smash 3ds and the handheld itself would only cost you $140, whereas if you wanted to buy the Wii U and the Wii U version and the Wii U to play it on it would be $300 +

A lot of ports and a lot of series released in similar time frames like NSMB and Smash (I never understood those decisions). For me the moment I kinda knew the Wii U was dead was the announcement of Super Mario 3D World. It was so unambitious and bland that I really didn't know what they were doing anymore. 

The 3DS btw has been a pleasant success. Sure it's half what the DS sold but it's weirdly stayed relevant after 2015 when I was convinced it would die by 2016. Just goes to show you that even an underpowered system can be successful if you show it love. Still impressed it's approaching 8 years and still moving hardware units. The Wii U on the other hand was literally abandoned. 

Around the Network

No third party support after launch? Smash Bros and Mario Kart not ambitious? Wrong on both.

bigtakilla said:
No third party support after launch? Smash Bros and Mario Kart not ambitious? Wrong on both.

"...when almost all 3rd party support for the system had vanished..."

"...3rd party companies willing to work on the Wii U were Ubisoft, SEGA, and Traveler’s Tale..."

As for Kart and Smash that is just my opinion, and a lot of people disagree with it, so I'm willing to agree to disagree.

I think wii U (with different name) should had been launched in 2011 with no gamepad and launched in the same day as Zelda SS(HD), and the 3rd parties of the year. The marketing would be over the 3rd parties, wiimote+ and Nintendo games. Like a x360(3rd parties and ), but newer and with Nintendo games.
It would be clear that its a new console. Showing the gamepad that made the confusion of being an wii accessory. Also would make it more affordable. Also, we have seen reports of developers saying that they didn't know what to do with gamepad. So it became a problem to get games in the system. Also, 1 year more console cycle would put it at normal lifetime of a Nintendo console. Also, it would get more of the ps360 gen, and porting a game from x360 is straightforward (even more with no gamepad).

They should launch the gamepad as an accessory in 2012 or 2013. Many games releasing as gamepad exclusive were launched for other consoles that do not have a wii U gamepad, like zumbi U, lego city undercover, rayman legends. Some games were criticized by not using the gamepad, it wouldnt happen if it was an optional accessory.

Next 2 things id change was that Id accept the EA online infrastructure, and would pay hard for a GTAV version.

Last edited by jonathanalis - on 28 November 2018

Poliwrathlord said:
bigtakilla said:

"...when almost all 3rd party support for the system had vanished..."

"...3rd party companies willing to work on the Wii U were Ubisoft, SEGA, and Traveler’s Tale..."

As for Kart and Smash that is just my opinion, and a lot of people disagree with it, so I'm willing to agree to disagree.

Even "almost all third party" is kinda exaggerating it. 2016 it was mostly gone, but then again so was Nintendo by that point. SO what third parties came out in 2015, well Pokken, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Devil's Third, Rodea, Fatal Frame, not to mention your typical Just Dance, Lego, Skylanders, etc. 

So Atlas, Tecmo, Kadokawa, Valhalla, Activision, Namco all there in 2015.

dark ages indeed I bought a total of 3 3ds games excluding the games i got from my nintendo(yes I know it had great games but I just did not like gaming on the thing. and wii u was I had fun with but after year 2 I basically stopped buying games on it until xenoblade x came out. I mainly use my wii u gamepad as my television remote now as I can't find the tv remote