By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Which developer should Sony acquire?

?

Platinum Games - Bayonetta 7 10.14%

From Software - Dark Souls, Bloodborne 19 27.54%

Codemasters - Grid, Dirt 1 1.45%

Kojima Productions - Death Stranding 20 28.99%

DontNod - Vampyr 0 0%

Others 14 20.29%

Multiple developers 8 11.59%

Total:69
CGI-Quality said:
SKMBlake said:

I just don't see how someone can say now that other companies' exclusives are pale in comparison of Sony's, despite knowing how huge 2017 for Nintendo exclusives were (2 GOTY nominations, and 1 actually won, and helped the new console to sell PS4-level well), how it will certainly be for this year and 2019.

Yeah, Sony have good exclusives this generation, but that doesn't mean they are way better than any other company.

Well, what’s better/worse is usually up for interpretation. If strictly talking Xbox vs PlayStation, there is no question who has dominated (critically, commercially, and objectively). Throwing Nintendo in there puts them (Sony and Nintendo) on very competitive terms. Xbox just needs some revitalizing.

I'll disagree. Nintendo had two amazing games in 2017. They had nothing in 2016 and this year. Sony has been hitting it all three years. Their lineup has been far more consistently strong since the mid PS3 times and its still going. You can't just put 1 year in the middle as proof that Nintendo is competitive even just the past three years.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Except Nintendo ... 

Also, if we're talking about games from studios Sony specifically owns, you don't get to include titles like Spider-Man, as Sony themselves don't even include it when addressing their worldwide studios. So I'm not sure why you changed the criteria mid-argument. 

When did i ever say we are talking specifically about games sony made and owns. We are talking about exclusives. And the bottom line is that when it comes to that not every game that is released is made by the publisher..... but they will publish it and that will usually mean it won't be on another platform. The very same way bayonetta is not made by nintendo but published by them.

It doesn't change the fact that sony has a lot of very well selling exclusives. And they do a lot to make that happen. And they are fine as far as that is concerned.

we're in a thread that's literally about Sony's acquisitions of studios 

I understood that your point was to highlight that Sony doesn't need to because they get 3-4 exclusives per year, but that's with the caveat that a lot of those titles are not from their world wide studios. You're arguing against Sony needing more studios, so you should at least mention that a lot of the exclusives are from 3rd parties, even if that does not change the bottom line of your point. 

Which by the way, I agree with you 100%. I just think that's an important thing to mention.

This is an interesting thing I've noticed occurring. Nintendo fans say that Nintendo should buy Panic Button out. Microsoft fans are saying that Skybox Labs (which I believe make small modifications to games, helped co-develop Age of Empires II HD) should be bought. Sony fans have been shouting for Blue Hole to be bought.

So this makes me wonder. Why do you guys want Blue Hole to be bought? Is it for more remasters? Do port/remake studios tend to evolve into their own game development studios? I'm genuinely curious

SKMBlake said:

But sorry, Detroit was meh. Go somewhere and push buttons to decide which way you want the story to go ? That's not the type of game I like, or even play.

The gameplay is more than that. It's like a caricature that you are doing here.

If they're gonna acquire studios they shouldn't acquire regular studios in my opinion, they should acquire VR studios. Good studios would be Polyarc (developers of Moss), Impulse Gear (developers of Farpoint) and First Contact Entertainment (developers of Firewall: Zero Hour).
But if I had to name 1 regular studio, I'd go with Housemarque. Acquire them, give them a bigger budget and proper marketing and go to town on their arcade games. Resogun 2 to begin with please.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
Keiji said:

And please man, between you and me... you probably don't have a PS4 right now.

Between me and you, I probably don't have a PS4 but between you and me, I do. If you want me to be more specific, I won it over a Sony contest and got it during the middle of May this year. And don't get me wrong, I loved most of the games I played on, like God Of War, WipEout Omega Collection, Uncharted 4, Spider-Man, GT Sport. That's right, I only played PS4 exclusive games on my PS4 because I wasn't interested in multiplat games (got bored while playing The Witcher III and didn't ever bother to buy Red Dead 2).

For me, God Of War is the game of the year, and Spider-Man a close second. But sorry, Detroit was meh. Go somewhere and push buttons to decide which way you want the story to go ? That's not the type of game I like, or even play. I tried it, and looked very good, but it doesn't require any skill, you just have to make choices. And since how awful I was to choose good buttons to press while playing L.A. Noire remastered, I wasn't any better while playing Detroit. 

Seems you got lucky to be able to play the few games you like on the PS4 without needing to buy the console so that's a positive :p

I personally love L.A Noire and games like Detroit but i can be pulled into bookstories by just reading them so that's why games like these might also have more effect on me.

Supermassive games. Until dawn was amazing and I would love for them to keep making bigger and bigger games

From software, Sony Japan's output isnt good, they made 2 good games this gen with the last guardian and gravity rush 2, but they weren't system sellers or sold that much. Sony needs it's Japanese games to have a bigger presence, and adding from software will complement their first party a lot. It would finally give them a studio capable of making jrpgs with world wide appeal

Immersiveunreality said:
SKMBlake said:

Between me and you, I probably don't have a PS4 but between you and me, I do. If you want me to be more specific, I won it over a Sony contest and got it during the middle of May this year. And don't get me wrong, I loved most of the games I played on, like God Of War, WipEout Omega Collection, Uncharted 4, Spider-Man, GT Sport. That's right, I only played PS4 exclusive games on my PS4 because I wasn't interested in multiplat games (got bored while playing The Witcher III and didn't ever bother to buy Red Dead 2).

For me, God Of War is the game of the year, and Spider-Man a close second. But sorry, Detroit was meh. Go somewhere and push buttons to decide which way you want the story to go ? That's not the type of game I like, or even play. I tried it, and looked very good, but it doesn't require any skill, you just have to make choices. And since how awful I was to choose good buttons to press while playing L.A. Noire remastered, I wasn't any better while playing Detroit. 

Seems you got lucky to be able to play the few games you like on the PS4 without needing to buy the console so that's a positive :p

I personally love L.A Noire and games like Detroit but i can be pulled into bookstories by just reading them so that's why games like these might also have more effect on me.

I laugh a little I admit it.

I don't get how anyone can say Sony doesn't need more talent. The output of their first party studios this gen hasn't been all that incredible. A small handful of good games and a ton of 2nd party stuff they bought or paid others to make. No one would like another racing studio outside of Polyphony? Someone to make good RPG's? MicroSony are both sorely lacking in that area imho and rely pretty much entirely on other developers there.

But most importantly a majority of the good exclusives PS4 has had.. they came from developers Sony bought. Uncharted, LoU, Infamous, Horizon, etc. Personally I hope their output for PS5 is a lot stronger than PS4. They seemed pretty lazy in a lot of areas with PS4 after the competition pretty much imploded pre-launch. Not that I doubt either of the other two would have done the exact same thing, we've seen it with Wii and Kinect era 360 Microsoft.