By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Which developer should Sony acquire?

?

Platinum Games - Bayonetta 7 10.14%

From Software - Dark Souls, Bloodborne 19 27.54%

Codemasters - Grid, Dirt 1 1.45%

Kojima Productions - Death Stranding 20 28.99%

DontNod - Vampyr 0 0%

Others 14 20.29%

Multiple developers 8 11.59%

Total:69
GOWTLOZ said:

The developers Sony has are not enough to counter Microsoft's existing and new teams together and Nintendo's growing presence in the home console space with the Switch. Which studio do you want them to buy? There are a number of them Sony should buy such as Platinum Games, From Software which is my favourite developer and Codemasters for racing games.

Quality, not quantity. That is what should be imperative these days. Unfortunately it isn't, neither for Microsoft nor for this community of consumer drones ("gamers").

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network
Zoombael said:
GOWTLOZ said:

The developers Sony has are not enough to counter Microsoft's existing and new teams together and Nintendo's growing presence in the home console space with the Switch. Which studio do you want them to buy? There are a number of them Sony should buy such as Platinum Games, From Software which is my favourite developer and Codemasters for racing games.

Quality, not quantity. That is what should be imperative these days. Unfortunately it isn't, neither for Microsoft nor for this community of consumer drones ("gamers").

Well, I do feel like the consumers value quality over quantity...

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

As long as it's a mutual agreement and they thoroughly enjoy making games for PlayStation I would think they should consider:

Kojima Productions
Insomniac
Supermassive Games
From Software
Maybe one of their second party studios (Quantic Dreams)

None. Why would anyone want this unless its to add to their listwars sony already gets majority of third party games

Tmfwang said:
bananaking21 said:
Supermassive games. Until dawn was amazing and I would love for them to keep making bigger and bigger games

From software, Sony Japan's output isnt good, they made 2 good games this gen with the last guardian and gravity rush 2, but they weren't system sellers or sold that much. Sony needs it's Japanese games to have a bigger presence, and adding from software will complement their first party a lot. It would finally give them a studio capable of making jrpgs with world wide appeal

Didn't Sony Japan also make Astro Bot; the biggest system seller for PSVR this year

Knack and Knack 2, Everybody Golf and vita games too 

Around the Network

Since when has MS caught up to Sony in first parties? When you consider SSM + GG are expanding, the opening of the new studio in San Diego, MS has a long way to go to catch up in quality, yet alone quantity.

Ideally I'd like to see Sony purchase one of Kojima Productions, Supermassive Games, & FromSoftware. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Sony purchased a few VR studios, and maybe even start a studio in China.

"The developers Sony has are not enough to counter Microsoft's existing and new teams together"

this is nonsense. it's amazing how many people have overreacted to MS investing in mostly average studios. The best studio purchase, Playground, was already working for them. Ninja Theory are good but they are not a top tier studio that creates great games that sell consoles. Obsidian are good but they are not the studio that made New Vegas and worked on Kotor. Two of the other studios, Compulsion and Undead Labs, had their last games fail to even reach 70 metacritic.

MS were miles away from Sony before, and now they still are but they have some decent potential at last. but suggesting sony can't compete next gen is laughable. MS have no studio remotely close to Naughty Dog or Santa Monica. They don't have anyone to the standard of Guerilla, Sucker Punch or Media Molecule either imo. Sony don't need to go buy some bang average studios just to make up the numbers like MS are doing.

And that's before you even consider the utterly trash track record MS have of purchasing and then managing studios,

celador said:
"The developers Sony has are not enough to counter Microsoft's existing and new teams together"

this is nonsense. it's amazing how many people have overreacted to MS investing in mostly average studios. The best studio purchase, Playground, was already working for them. Ninja Theory are good but they are not a top tier studio that creates great games that sell consoles. Obsidian are good but they are not the studio that made New Vegas and worked on Kotor. Two of the other studios, Compulsion and Undead Labs, had their last games fail to even reach 70 metacritic.

MS were miles away from Sony before, and now they still are but they have some decent potential at last. but suggesting sony can't compete next gen is laughable. MS have no studio remotely close to Naughty Dog or Santa Monica. They don't have anyone to the standard of Guerilla, Sucker Punch or Media Molecule either imo. Sony don't need to go buy some bang average studios just to make up the numbers like MS are doing.

And that's before you even consider the utterly trash track record MS have of purchasing and then managing studios,

It really is hilarious. 

LudicrousSpeed said:

I don't get how anyone can say Sony doesn't need more talent. The output of their first party studios this gen hasn't been all that incredible. A small handful of good games and a ton of 2nd party stuff they bought or paid others to make. No one would like another racing studio outside of Polyphony? Someone to make good RPG's? MicroSony are both sorely lacking in that area imho and rely pretty much entirely on other developers there.

But most importantly a majority of the good exclusives PS4 has had.. they came from developers Sony bought. Uncharted, LoU, Infamous, Horizon, etc. Personally I hope their output for PS5 is a lot stronger than PS4. They seemed pretty lazy in a lot of areas with PS4 after the competition pretty much imploded pre-launch. Not that I doubt either of the other two would have done the exact same thing, we've seen it with Wii and Kinect era 360 Microsoft.

Nothing supports this critically or commercially.

GOW, Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy, GT Sport, DriveClub, MLB, Horizon, Killzone, inFamous: Second Son, inFamous: First Light, Astrobot VR, Gravity Rush 2, Knack 1+2, The Last Guardian, with stuff like Days Gone, Concrete Genie, Dreams, Medievil Remake, TLOU2, GOT in the pipeline. This isn't even including co - developed stuff like BloodBorne and The Order, Sony owned IP's that are licensed to second/ third parties like LBP3 & SoTC, and PS3 games like GT6 and Puppeter that could have easily been PS4 launch titles. 

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 26 November 2018

Azzanation said:
I dunno.. i think they should buy into one or two of them. Last E3 they only showcased 4 games and next E3 there not even bothering. They will survive without however there games are taking more than acouple years to make so this can affect the output of games. Especially when there competitor has more studios under there belt now and with the high assurance of offering the more powerful playform. Sony couldn't really rely on 3rd party support like they were able to this gen.
I say Sony needs a couple studios with heavy multiplayer focus games inmind to fulfill the void they have currentl
y.
Just my opinion.

Disagree with the bolded. 

Sony will still get Japan exclusive titles which pretty much is the 3rd party support MS doesn't get. 

No point investing in multiplayer based studios when the biggest multiplayer games come from 3rd parties.